Author Topic: A few forum changes...  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
A few forum changes...
« on: March 16, 2012 - 18:44:18 »
I've made a few small superficial changes to the forum.... none of which amount to much but there you go!
  • Added a "karma" mod whereby users can be praised/moaned at in relation to their posts.
  • PMs are now displayed "most recent at top".
  • Users are now shown as Online/Offline on the left side of posts.
  • After posting a reply you are now returned to the thread - previously you were returned to the topic.
I'm proposing to scrap the "Obsolete Datfile Archive" category and change it to a forum and put everything in child forums beneath it. Nothing will be lost but the main page will be much clearer.

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
Re: A few forum changes...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012 - 18:57:01 »
Fairy muff, I mean fair enough.

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline JacKc

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012 - 21:41:51 »
Nice changes TeeCee...And for Datfile Archive category, like you've said, it is now totally obsolete and no need to keep it ;)

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012 - 22:25:49 »
Looking forward to the changes TC, nice work

Gremlin

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012 - 10:37:03 »
So.... question.... is it really necessary to have all old datfiles available on this site? I'm thinking not. If someone wants an old dat for their own purposes they can request it. I'm inclined to abandon the idea of this site being a datfile archive cos it seems to have evolved significantly over the last 12 months to being a fix/fill site! Not that I'm complaining ;)

I'll probably remove the old archive completely then....

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012 - 11:04:32 »

When i originally stumbled across RomShepherd it was as a result of searching for DAT files, i agree the board has evolved into more than just a repository, it's a proper community now, but i still like the idea of having a single site for all latest versions DATS or links to the latest DATS, after all that's what we aim to complete on a daily basis.

Just my thought...

Gremlin

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012 - 11:28:39 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

<SNIP>but i still like the idea of having a single site for all latest versions DATS or links to the latest DATS, after all that's what we aim to complete on a daily basis.</SNIP>
We'll still have all the latest dats - I'm just propsing to remove all the old stuff. No one really needs every single MAME datfile do they? Or a No-Intro DS dat from 2009 for example?

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012 - 11:47:57 »

<SNIP>but i still like the idea of having a single site for all latest versions DATS or links to the latest DATS, after all that's what we aim to complete on a daily basis.</SNIP>
We'll still have all the latest dats

Excellent.  And as you said, no point in keeping stuff from years ago, especially if it's been superceeded.

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012 - 14:34:12 »
Seems sensible....

MAME/MESS DATs can simply be built direct from an old EXE (if someone had a need to use). In regards to TOSEC, we make available all historic DAT packs on the download section of the website anyway.

Maybe old No-Intro/Yori DATs *could* be useful, if you needed to track back a problem for example... not sure how much value there is there though to be honest.

Offline paniquelli

• Gamer Hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012 - 21:42:16 »
Seems sensible....

MAME/MESS DATs can simply be built direct from an old EXE (if someone had a need to use). In regards to TOSEC, we make available all historic DAT packs on the download section of the website anyway.

Maybe old No-Intro/Yori DATs *could* be useful, if you needed to track back a problem for example... not sure how much value there is there though to be honest.

No-Intro's DAT-o-MATIC seems to keep tracks of every ROM addition/change, so...