Author Topic: Disk Space Dilemma  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
Disk Space Dilemma
« on: March 22, 2012 - 10:47:18 »
The trouble with having dozens of external drives is that you quickly realise they're all 80% full and have virtually no realistically usable free space.

One of my scene drives (PSP, Wii DLC, XBOX360 DLC) has only 30GB free and I'm still accumulating all the available PSP stuff.... I have 1.34TB of it so far so need to move it do a dedicated 2TB drive - which I don't have.

If I have to sacrifice something, what should it be? I could delete my Scene DC backup and free up that drive or I could delete my redump PSX collection which would also free up a drive.

My gut at the moment says zap the PSX stuff.

Zandro

Re: Disk Space Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012 - 11:54:47 »
Purge the Redump PSX, or, if it fits by, just a region of it. Redump is well circulated now, you can always download it from a couple of different trackers.

Offline RCade

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012 - 13:48:47 »
Noooooooooo...don't dump the PSX set, I'm still grabbing it from HDDX and its killing my ratio <pout>

RCade

Offline zxyo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012 - 16:25:32 »
i 2nd Zandro , purge the PSX set , im sure most of it is on usenet anyway , there is your back up !!

Offline RCade

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012 - 18:17:15 »
Infamy..infamy.....they've all got it infamy

<cough>

8)

Offline slipnut

• Ur Momma`s Sancho
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012 - 06:06:58 »
Why Purge? the scene dc set cant be to huge,and dvdr and or blu-ray`s are relatively cheap and you dont need to rely on finding it elsewhere at a later time..I download stuff all  the time and find i dont have the cash for new hdd but spindle of whuever hella cheap and gives me time to save for that much needed hdd for l8tr and still get to keep my collection of whuever..

Offline indigital

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012 - 18:04:08 »
Why not consider us as your "social backup" and delete a collection that can be easily filled from our side?  ;)

Cheers.

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012 - 12:55:32 »
Well, I think I've pretty much decided to zap the PSX stuff.

@slipnut, Scene DC is 736GB here so there's no way I'm going to spend the time archiving it to DVD. It'd drive me crackers!

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012 - 18:43:58 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Infamy..infamy.....they've all got it infamy

<cough>

8)

Hello Kenneth, I thought you'd died in 1988......eh what, pah it's Rcade doing impersonations now.

Can you do Frank Spencer?

:)

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012 - 18:47:00 »
@TC, I've told you before what to use for backing up.  I use Sinclair Microdrives, get 80-110k on average.

:)

I wouldn't use any optical media though, I did that years ago, around 1995 when a blank cd was 17 quid, and when I tried them 10 years later all were unreadable.

Probably the same with dvds and BR.  Had a BR recorder but the prices are still silly for a 50gig blank.

So I just use loads of LTO5s. :)

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline indigital

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012 - 19:09:37 »
So I just use loads of LTO5s.

I've stored backups for years to cartridges, but right now, even with LTO5, I consider them out-dated for the regular daily use. Where they may serve their specific purpose in a company's data infrastructure, one appears to be better of with keeping the data on HDDs.
In my opinion we have to confess that before the market crisis in last year HDDs were ridiculously cheap and it was as easy as it can be to have data online on internal (or rarely on external USB-) HDDs and the backups of their contents on offline HDDs.

Anyway, even if I were nearly broken I would try my best to buy another HDD and avoid deleting data I've collected during hours or days if not weeks in hard work.