Author Topic: Goodtools Clrmame dats  (Read 5486 times)

shadoex

Goodtools Clrmame dats
« on: April 07, 2012 - 05:00:23 »
Has anyone got updated Dats for the good sets?

I have just started using ROMvault, and am very much impressed by it so far. I love the way it automatically finds roms from other sets and fixes them.

I would really like to add my goodsets to it and cant seem to find clrmame dats for them?

Thanks.

Offline Macca38

Re: Goodtools Clrmame dats
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012 - 08:43:54 »
I have to admit....

I also would find a latest set of dats handy...

If only to make the clrmame Pro, html pages...

Cheers
Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.
My Current STATS: COMING AGAIN SOON!!

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012 - 12:48:05 »
I've got a set of DATS I created some time ago, its not a complete set, but may get you started.
Someone once told me you have to be careful as goodsets don't translate we'll to clr DATS maybe someone can confirm.

I'm in the Lakes at present, be home later this afternoon, so will post what I've got then.  Hope they help.

Gremlin

Offline paniquelli

• Gamer Hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012 - 13:01:01 »
Some time ago, I created DATs (Dir2DAT & editing a little bit just cm related info) from complete and freshly checked GoodSets, both "ZIPed" (plain files with "Single Files Sets" checked) and GoodMerged (giving some problems on files ending their names in ".").

@Gremlin
The thing with GoodTools and DATs... is about how GT handles the headers of ROMs on the validating process (calculating the checksums and comparing again its database). This can be "problematic" on some system where its ROMs use (and abuse) headers, call them NES, Lynx (and some others?), 'cause the same ROM can have infinite variations of the header. I'm not 100% sure these are the only kind of headers (used by emulators) "skipped" by GT (thinking about Sega GG).

I'm uploading here all of them...
Enjoy: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Content of each ZIP:
GoodXXXX vX.XX (GoodMerged).dat
GoodXXXX vX.XX.dat
XXXX X.XX Files.log
XXXX X.XX Merge.log
XXXXHave.txt
XXXXMiss.txt

The only? ones not included are GoodGB64 (not interested on it) & GoodPico (it has too many hoarded files).

Kind of on-topic: how difficult is the transition from CM to RV (I'm planning on using both and Romulus)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012 - 14:46:57 by old_pani »

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012 - 14:38:37 »
It's not quite as simple as that.

Basically, the GoodTool sets SHOULD behave file format agnosticly (I say 'should', since GoodLynx, GoodJag and others clearly don't - not properly).

For example, take GoodSNES which is a nice messy one. A SNES ROM image can be in a number of different formats. It can have a (and remember there are different kinds of) backup unit/emulator header, as well as (again different types of) footer. In addition, it can be stored in big endian byte order or little endian order, or any of a number of weird proprietary interleaved formats in between.

I actually wrote an article for the benefit of other TOSEC member's on this subject, and I calculated you could easily get up to 10 different distinct file formats just for a SNES ROM, all obviously with different CRC32/MD5's.

To get around this, basically GoodSNES (or Good7800, GoodGen, GoodLynx, GoodN64, GoodNES or whatever) will look at 5 ROM images of the same game, but in different formats, and will rename/count only one and treat the rest as 'duplicates'. This was obviously very helpful 15 years ago (when everyone actually used GoodTools and they were kept up to date) since there was so many weird file formats in everyday use and a multitude of different backuup units/emerging emus. Here in 2012 though, not so much, and it also had the obvious effect of keeping lots of junk legacy formats floating around waaay longer than they should have been.

That's why for ROM images, TOSEC only includes clean no-header, no-footer, non-interleaved images (despite in a few very old DATs that are being fixed this year). That's also why No-Intro does the same, except in a few DATs were they've make some weird decisions (their N64 DAT has all images in little endian or V64 byte swapped format (I forget which) were as TOSEC has them in big endian, like everything else).

Whilst TOSEC doesn't include all the software images in the GoodTools yet (and No-Intro/MESS never will), we are catching up....   watch this space   ;)

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012 - 15:05:36 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
little endian or V64 byte swapped format
Byte-swapped if memory serves.

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012 - 17:42:03 »
Cheers Old_pani for uploading, beat me to it, saved me a job :)

The only? ones not included are GoodGB64 (not interested on it) & GoodPico (it has too many hoarded files).
Kind of on-topic: how difficult is the transition from CM to RV (I'm planning on using both and Romulus)

I haven't got the pico set, but i've attached the N64 if anyone's interested.
Also regarding your off topic CM to RV, i've just gone back to CM from RV, but sorting using a hybrid of the two.

I had issue with RomVault crashing and losing sets of ROMS, also found it to be too slow when scanning full sets for those pesky ROMS.
So my current set up is clrMame for all sets, Rom Vault doesn't handle CHD's so i needed it anyway.
I copy the fixdats and my complete DAT file colelction to RomVault, then scan any new files, this finds all sets that these files will be used in so i can hit them all at once.
The final step (when i have time) is to scan the fix DATS wil a powershell script which compares the fix DAT against all the other DATS this finds other sets where ROMS exist so i only need to scan a small selection of sets, hopefully saving me a bit of time.

ROMVault is exellent for MESS and Arcade ROMS, i haven't given up with it.

Gremlin

[attachment deleted by admin]

shadoex

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012 - 15:28:53 »
That's strange cos I find RM to be MUCH MUCH faster at scanning and also fixing/rebuilding roms. Literally 10 times faster then CM. I have also had no issues with it crashing.

I do have a few problems tho like, it can only recognise zipped files. It wont even find roms that are unzipped! So if I have just finished downloading 50 different files in all different formats (zip,rar,7z) I have to uncompress them all and then recompress them all into one big zip THEN rebuild from that. Maybe I am missing something but with CM I just used to put all the downloaded files no matter what format into a directory and hit "rebuild".

It doesn't handle header files so the no intro NES dat for instance wont work properly.
I wish it had header support because no-intro and mess share so many of the same files RM would be perfect for keeping both sets up to date as it will automatically find matching roms from different dats and copy/paste them where they need to go.

I also use a hybrid, but mainly use RM now days.
I use it for everything but no intro in fact, seems to be working great so far...

Thanks for the dats I will try them out soon :D

Offline Macca38

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012 - 16:24:36 »
I use 7 different copies of ClrMame Pro.....

Different directory and shortcut, for each...

Reason Is, because, If I had all dats In a single copy of Clr...It takes ages at Initial scanning to open the Profiler window...

Another reason, to not check for updates automatically, and to untick this option, as It does this every time you go back to the profiler..

Also, If you change the line in cmpro.ini "Adv_AllowRestart = off" to "Adv_AllowRestart = on", you can run multiple copies of clrMame Pro, and utilise more cores of your Dual, Quad, or Eight core computers....

BUT......BE CAREFUL WHAT YOURE DOING!!

Thanks to Symmo.....for this tip, he gave me some time ago, and recently reminded me, with my new quad core acquisition...

Cheers
Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.
My Current STATS: COMING AGAIN SOON!!

shadoex

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012 - 06:18:29 »
So I finally got around to scanning my old unkempt Good sets with the DATs old_pani posted.
I decided to go with the unmerged ones. For some reason I have decided I dislike merged ROMs.
And just like I thought might happen ROMvault found some goodset ROMs that needed to go into the TOSEC sets. ( I haven't gotten around to updating TOSEC to the latest yet).
I am really loving having the goodsets appear in RV. Now I feel they are more "connected" to the rest of the collection. (Plus more green ticks for my liking) lol

I do have a few missings here and there. I have made a post in the fix dat section if someone is able to help me out? Thanks.

P.S. The fact I can even post a Fixdat for Goodsets makes me happy inside. (I need to get out more).

Offline paniquelli

• Gamer Hedgehog
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012 - 12:53:11 »
P.S. The fact I can even post a Fixdat for Goodsets makes me happy inside. (I need to get out more).

I know the feeling, you are not alone.

Rebuilding your fixes... DONE! Uploading and posting on the appropriate thread.

Also, thank you to all of you for your thoughts about RV and to Cass for the very detailed explanation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012 - 13:32:25 by old_pani »