Author Topic: JPCSP PlayStation Portable(PSP) emulator  (Read 1860 times)

Offline edc

JPCSP PlayStation Portable(PSP) emulator
« on: September 23, 2012 - 16:06:30 »
Jpcsp

Jpcsp is the most advanced PlayStation Portable emulator, allowing you to play your PSP games on a PC.
Jpcsp has been started in July 2008 and is developed by a small but active team.

Even though Jpcsp is written in Java, it can already reach 100% PSP speed on a lot of commercial games... and the emulator performance is constantly increasing.

Jpcsp takes full advantage of dual-core processors, matching the PSP dual-core architecture. Even a quad-core can give a small performance improvement by leaving free CPU cores for the Java JIT Compiler and the graphics cache.

NVIDIA graphic cards are fully supported and Jpcsp can take advantage of powerful GPUs. Problems have been reported with ATI/AMD graphic cards: keep you Catalyst driver up-to-date as new releases might fix issues.

The project is still a beta release, but currently more than 400 games are already playable. See the list here.

Video and Atrac3 sound are supported, but only on Windows 32bit systems. Atrac3+ sound is not directly supported as there is currently no free codec available for this format. However, Atrac3+ can be decoded automatically on Windows 32bit when installing SonicStage.

System Requirements

Minimum

Windows 32bit or 64bit / Linux 32bit or 64bit / Mac OSX
    CPU: Pentium 4 and up
    GPU: Any graphic card supporting OpenGL 2.0 and up
    1GB RAM

Recommended

Windows Vista / Windows 7 (use Jpcsp 32bit even on 64bit OS to have sound and video support)
    CPU: Dual core @ 2.5 GHz
    GPU: Always install the latest drivers
    2GB RAM or more

Download link (always latest version) Windows 32/64, Linux, Mac:
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Homepage:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012 - 16:11:06 by edc »
My current project (nNASOS): [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

MaryAnnC3000

Re: JPCSP PlayStation Portable(PSP) emulator
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012 - 18:56:25 »
Thanks.
Imagine what could be achieved if it was written in C++ like every other program.
I wanted to try this out but there is no reason to add another layer running in the background instead of just using native code but we all thank you.

PSP, Saturn, Original XBox and oddly the Coleco ADAM are the least and last emulators that don't exist.
Even that PSX2 deal needs improvement.  Jeeze I wish I knew how to program.

Offline edc

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012 - 20:09:56 »
Although offtopic, I would like to respond to this (I have a programming background).

It's not true that C++ is always faster then java. In fact C++ is slower then C, because of boundary checking and object allocation. Also Java is JIT based, which means that code is compiled to native code when needed. Some benchmarks show that Java can be as fast or even faster than Native C/C++ code. That's also true for .net framework, which also is run through a JIT compiler. The most JIT compilers include optimizers, which can do (almost) the same as C/C++ compilers. The only disadvantage of JIT is a slower startup (called warmup).

Some links about C vs Java:

BTW: IBM used this principle for it's midrange systems (System/38, AS400 and now iSeries) starting in 1978.

BR

E
My current project (nNASOS): [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

MaryAnnC3000

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012 - 18:28:17 »
You may be correct in some cases.
I trained in Cobol and borland Turbo c back in the 80's.
I guess I should have been more specific and said Visual Studio C++ and compile in x64 with assembly for critical timing.

Either way, my personal feeling is to not have a layer on top of a system when you can compile to native code.
Just reminds me of basic and I'm not the one programing this.
You go to EmuCR and the comments are similar to mine.  Not many people want this in Java but hey, I don't play PSP games anymore as much as my Colecovision.  My kids broke 2 of the 3 in the house.

I just downloaded a 54 video course in Visual Studio 10 C++ and using Assembly 64.  The courses are ongoing and free on Youtube.  Now if I can find the time.