Author Topic: gdi to sd dumper v1.1 by jj1dom [retail sdc disk dump tool]  (Read 4718 times)

Offline amiga1200

• banned
gdi to sd dumper v1.1 by jj1dom [retail sdc disk dump tool]
« on: October 04, 2014 - 19:46:49 »
 ;D
(1/1 transcript of writ from [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, bar a few changes to accommodate forum frontend.
unable to attach relative files for unknown reasons, frontend doesn't seem to want to upload them, nor do i see an 'upload attachment/place inline' button. they'll be linked direct from the last place i uploaded them to. check the [/code] tag board wrapper at the lower of this subject to acquire them.)
title banner explains itself, item is for dumping your retail disks to the sd card reader for the rear of the console, (serial socket) can work with the internalized console modification too.
AN SD CARD AND READER FOR THE SERIAL SOCKET IS REQUIRED, INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL READERS WILL DO! ;) (i used a 2/4g, class six card and all was well. tested a class ten sandisk at 32g, the same. USE A 2G CARD MINIMUM AS GDI'S ARE 1.2G AVERAGE. 1G CARDS SIMPLY WON'T WORK, TOO SMALL OF CAPACITY.)
not much to say about this item, bar that it does what's advertised.
all the advice one could give is:
1, look at the lower of this subject, and expand the archive. (item is attached)

2, take the expanded 'cdi' file and write to disk (cdr) using IMGBURN at 8x speeds. (if disk write fails for this app, try another media, write speed that's LOWER, or another capable disk writing program of your choice. BE SURE it can support custom/cdi images first)

3, put the newly written disk into the dreamcast drawer and start it up. (should hear a gdi assembly beep if the disk was locked onto.)

4, when it loads, they'll be a green screen, have it first check the sd card to be sure it's properly seated. (fat32 are the sd's, keep that in mind, format it as such on a computer)

5, remove the gdi to sd dump disk and replace it with a retail disk, have the loaded app check it's presence.

6, after checks, select the option 'dump all tracks/RAW-BIN' and sit it out, DON'T select the 'iso' option to dump, it's the incorrect format for the cause. (and redump/dumpcast DON'T use iso as the standard for gdi's, just the raw tracks)

7, after a successful dump (if dump isn't successful along the way, you'll be notified. clean the disk and/or gdi assembly) take the sd card out of the sd reader (doesn't matter if console is still on) and copy to the computer harddisk the ROOT contents of what was dumped to the card. (dump times vary between forty to forty five minutes average.)
the dumper literally dumps the gdi at the sd card root so beware of that after EACH disk you do, or you'll overwrite it. back up each dump individually on a computer, give it's own directory.
after the data has been retrieved, blank the sd card (on the computer) and repeat if required.

8, when you have your gdi root tracks in their respective directories, generate hashtags and compare them at redump.org/DCemulation.org (dumpcast) to get 101% matchy. :P
if the hashes generated DON'T align, do it again, correlate results. (attached the dumpcast dat tables at the lower of this subject also. DCE frontend is unfriendly to some, me included as i had to proxy in to get them.)
big thanks to jj1dom for this wicked app.
old but reliable, and thanks atreyu187 for sharing it.
Code:
Only registered users can see contents. Please click here to Register or Login.
wasting time online, when i could be getting wasted and playing games...:(

Offline Braintrash

Re: gdi to sd dumper v1.1 by jj1dom [retail sdc disk dump tool]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014 - 21:18:26 »
Don't have many DC discs in stock, but still have a console with working drive and SD card reader if needed. Might check the discs I still have.
Nice tutorial and good idea to post it here.

Offline amiga1200

• banned
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014 - 05:51:12 »
 ;D
anytime.
the first gdi i dumped was starlancer (PAL) and the second was shenmue. absolutely WASTED an assembly pulling that one. (got a replacement gdi assembly after some headache, issue is resolved)
if you intend on doing a stack, let the console cool down a bit, takes it's toll on the gdi assembly over time.
was warned of the dangers of going at it like a staffodshire bullterrier to a cat, lesson leaned. (and had no more failures since. possible the assembly was on it's way out, but i'm a skeptic when it comes to coincidence.)
on the plus note, the gdi's shared (and verified) flew like hot-cakes off the shelf.
i get why dumpers need funding sometimes, they trash their gear to bring us their dumps, not that i'm a dumper. all i do is mirror my retails for FREE and STICK it to the copyright enforcement laws by uploading them.  8)
gdi emu boards are for these, waiting my turn for a reasonably priced assembly replacement. (gdi emu board, usb version methinks.)

Offline Braintrash

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014 - 09:21:59 »
I was one of the first users of Utopia bootdisc and even fried a GDI with the original serial rip which sometimes took almost a day. ;D
I went away from that when BBA solutions appeared. Life issues, I put it aside waiting to be able to come back and I am glad I did. I myself own a GD-EMU, which is by that the best (the MNEMO USB is not working with all games and the IDE solution depends on Swat whose solution does not work with all games either), and I don't regret it.
I am now looking for free time to finally play my games in perfect conditions.

Offline amiga1200

• banned
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014 - 20:26:27 »
 8)
appreciate the tip.
not touching that ide bollocks, too insane for my skillset. do appreciate the findings others have posted.
not one for conjecture, but rumor has it, there's a 'plug-n'-play' version in development, that uses the modem socket, instead of soldering to motherboard an ide flyer.
can see the benefit of both devices, allows for greater storage space and/or compatibility. (mnemo's pup loading up dreamshell to target the modem socket, and swat's ide job being a direct fallback once DS is loaded. seriously NOT outfitting a dual bank/flashed bios for the gdi-ide thing to work.)
don't have the ca$h to piss away on experimentation, nor will i dare to solder anything to my casts, all retail/stock defaults. ;D
the WODE jukebox for wii is one example of a 'plug-n-play' hardmod, time will tell if the gdi-ide turns out to be the same.
if not, at least mnemo's there to take up the VERY long slack.  8)
[edit]
typo.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014 - 20:30:32 by amiga1200 »

Offline Braintrash

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014 - 06:55:25 »
Black Cats, one of my most heartbreaking loss.  :'(

Well, Modem replacement, why not. Since it can handle the BBA, it can quite handle the game loading. Very smart idea, indeed.
As for GD-EMU, it actually works with SDXC cards (just format the card to FAT32 and you're ready to play) and we just need Deunan to increase the folder number and it will be more integrated than USB but as practical storage wise.
Even so, I usually play one game at a time, so not having a complete set where I won't play all games (and not all games are good to play...) doesn't bother me much.

Side note: really, before we spent more time on one game and now, either people cheat to complete the game first play or just give up at first or second death Both ways decrease the skills and fun dramatically and, as such, I try to select the games I play and really play them, just like if I had just pocket money to buy a game every month (but, obviously, a retro game is usually completed before a month, so it gets better than that). That's just the right way to play, IMHO.

Offline amiga1200

• banned
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014 - 08:10:12 »
apologies, failure to properly communicate my side.  ;)
nothing against the gdi-ide mod...
but as things stand with the gdi-ide mod, i don't have the required skills to solder an ide flyer to the DC motherboard. :( (it REALLY is nuts, beyond my paygrade...as it were!)
when/IF a 'plug-n-play' hardmod is available for that socket, i'm all over it.
just don't trust my shaky hands to solder in the meantime.
same for the bios job that's required to target the modem socket. (TSOP flash for some DC bios or dual bank hardmod)
i had issues with SDXC cards on the WODE jukebox (sandisk) wouldn't format in TRUE fat32 despite format tools of various kinds did attempt to format the 64g cards as such. i'm looking into 'force formatting' but it's far from reliable and some cards file system can't be forced, i have two LOCKED cards. (do work in the psp/ps3 no problem)
a bba card/modem replacement would be ideal, if it wasn't for the bios job or a boot cd to target that socket, which is why a gdi emu board would come into play. (the ide version does retain use of the gd-rom, so that's a plus right there)
not one of my consoles have a soldered-in hardmod, just the plug-in version. (no DC mods yet)
the DC is LONG overdue the ability to playback from hdd, and i'm patient with this.
at a public forum, (not assem****) a user is doing a sata version, but he's selling the systems good to go.
on one hand, YAAY! makes it easier for those who can't solder...if they have a PACKET to back it!
on the other, BOOO! he's guarding his findings/diagrams, a bit 'scene' like for my tastes. (closely guarded secret? PFFT! he's one of the users that reminds me why i bugged out of the DC scene altogether, E-PEENING!) i respect his work, savant level quality.
and agreed, play the games in FULL, not with cheaty BS. (i do guides/walkthroughs AFTER i've gone through the game BLIND, in full.)
i like my DC, but i LOVE commodore more. (if the username didn't already indicate that)
watching progress like a hawk, but i'm not interacting with the sceners.  ;D
[edit]
typo.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014 - 08:13:55 by amiga1200 »

Offline Braintrash

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014 - 08:49:48 »
No apology needed from you, no misunderstanding at all. ;D

I am appy with all attempts to mod the DC in order to extend its abilities and lifespan.
Mine is fully modded: GD-EMU, region-free BIOS with debug intro, integrated VGA through USB plug (both sound and video through the same plug so only one cable needed) with scanlines generator(none/odd/even) and it is a Sakura Taisen one. Can't be happier with it.

The SATA mod is in fact quite easy: since the DC can't connect directly to SATA, the guy is just throwing in an IDE-to-SATA interface between the console and the HDD. Already tested successfully by various people using cheap stock IDE-to-SATA adapters. So no magic at all here. ;)

Deunan posted on the GD-EMU site a link to an official app to format SD cards; did you try it?

Offline amiga1200

• banned
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014 - 07:12:39 »
got it!
i've been watching the wordpress, as directed by another site (all live updates at WP) and i must be a retard, looking proves fruitless, or the page isn't fully displaying contents.
i'm NOT registered/affiliated with any, so maybe that's why i can't see a link? (wouldn't be the first time frontends hold back the real info, unless one leaves a name)
would greatly appreciate the name of this app, and i can hunt for it. ;D
yeah, no magic, a given...but it's principal.
woe betide the likes of me to put out a cool as f*ck mod, and hold back the 'how to's'...that's just me though. ;) (and deserve bad things for being a profiteering showoff. share the wealth, or trap shut.)
please may you name that app and i'll let you know how things turn out.
thanks a lot!  8)
[edit]
i followed the assem**** subject, until i was given a 'permanent holiday' ...;D (just didn't think to grip app there while i had the chance.)
[edit]
yeah, thanks for the help.
after tearing my hair out, and dodging various lying b*stard sites with ads and surveys (including sandisk's very own site) i bullied a friend into fessing up the tool he used, it's called 'SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe' and i've yet to test viability.
one thing is abundantly clear, avoid the exfat bullsh*t and anything sporting that format.
WODE jukebox does appear to recognise the blank volume (before, it didn't) whereas clishell format commands and specific apps were failing at the tasks.
all claimed format to force fat32, but alas, twas NOT the case, this maybe different, as WODE give me a readout as opposed to not before using 64g cards psuedo-formatted in fat32. touch wood it's sorted now.
WORD OF ADVICE USING THIS APP:
it's anything but clear, and only three sm's/cards are visible from the list. (more than that plugged in, you get a 'f*ckoff, i'm not showing you the rest' kinda display, unfriendly to say the least. :(
does appear to work if you can look up sm/card vendor as it DOESN'T show volume identity either. (hardware manager should help reduce hair loss.)
only have ONE card plugged in at a time.
on the upside, i can see the attached files from the first most post, attaching format tool so users don't smash up their rig getting bullsh*tted by web searches and adverts...like i almost did. (patience when effort is expended ISN'T a virtue of mine.) ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014 - 20:54:16 by amiga1200 »