Author Topic: Win3xO - The Win 3 x Collection by eXo  (Read 10229 times)

Offline against03

Win3xO - The Win 3 x Collection by eXo
« on: August 10, 2015 - 20:13:06 »
Great Collection by eXo. Have fun playing this!

Welcome to Win3xO Version 1.0!

Win3xO is my attempt to catalog, obtain, and make playable (nearly) every game developed for the Windows 3.x platform. This primarily covers 16 bit games, however due to many late games capable of running on the Win32s extender it does include early 32bit games as well. I strive to find original media rather than using scene rips. This collection uses Windows 3.1 installed within various DosBox versions in order to emulate the OS. All required files are included in the package and all games are preconfigured to run with no configuration required by the user.

Win3xO is cross compatible with eXoDOS 2.0 (previous versions of eXoDOS will run into problems). Certain functionality within MEAGRE is enabled when both packs are detected. For example, if a game was released for both platforms, then you will see the game only listed once on your game list. However under "Platforms" you will see both DOS and Win 3.x listed. Clicking on either platform will display the box art, manual, screen shots and other info that pertains to that particular version. Both versions can be played be simply selecting the platform you want prior to launching the game. This allows users to experience both versions of a game, which is especially useful with games such as King's Quest 6 which had a different interface and high-res character portraits in the Windows 3.1 release.

MEAGRE also allows the user to browse via 'Nostalgia' mode, which is a more graphical way of browsing through the games. Try it out by selecting Nostalgia Mode from the File menu in MEAGRE. Examples and screenshots of Meagre and Nostalgia mode are below.

This pack includes 1,089 Windows 3.x games. This covers all genres and includes both commercial and shareware/freeware release games as well as a handful of apps.

All games have been pre-setup and are immediately playable with no configuration required. A one-time setup is required by the front end.

The games included were identified by scanning Mobygames, Legends World, Eli's Software, my own collection, and many searches on eBay. Unfortunately the Win 3.x era is highly undocumented. The primary hurdle in adding games to this collection is simply identifying them. Many games are simply listed as "Windows" games, which does not specify whether they are Win 3.x compatible. Sites such as Mobygames are notoriously wrong when it comes to listing platform. Often contributors have added Win 3.x as a platform to all Windows games before 1998 simply to get extra contribution points. If a game is listed for Win 3.x at Mobygames and is not in this package, then either the entry is wrong or it is one of a handful of games that are currently missing. A constantly updated list of all missing titles can be find below.

In the Bonus directory you can find the following apps:

eXoCrunch - Compression software
DBGL 079e + Converter - Conversion software for use with Dosbox game Launcher

More details about each of these can be found in their respective archives.

Win3xO can be run from any directory, as all launch files are designed to use relative paths to each other. Cyrillic characters can cause problems however if they are in the path, and some usres have reported that spaces in the path name have caused them problems as well. The front-end however does require knowledge of what directory it is sitting in. Simply running the "Setup Win3xO.bat" file will automatically setup Win3xO to run from your current directory.

Running the Setup file also decompresses the GamesWIN.zip file, which contains all of the manuals, art, and game information for each title. This will take some time to decompress as it is approx. 1gb in size.

To merge eXoDOS and Win3xO (allowing you to browse both in the same menu), simply place both collections in the same folder structure and run the Win3xO setup. It will detect the eXoDOS files and add them to the frotn end.

eXoDOS is compatible with Win3xO and spans 5 volumes.
Released:
eXoDOS Vol I: Adventure Version 2.0
eXoDOS Vol II: RPG Version 2.0
eXoDOS Vol III: Strategy Version 2.0
eXoDOS Vol IV: Sim/Sports/Racing/Edu Version 2.0
eXoDOS Vol V: Action Version 2.0

nzb01:
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
pass:
eI!6$814F$S$J60686O02T$S

nzb02:
pass:
dA9Kb407R5KMX_29eHF!TNc0

nzb03:
pass03:
KX8c)155ffcV9C$%T8$&!2d5

nzb04
pass04
3S0Q$ce$D757URe)-S_c7eSc

nzb05
pass05
fec0HdVe44$adCTP77bMXe5A

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015 - 08:39:42 by against03 »

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
Re: Win3xO - The Win 3.x Collection by eXo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015 - 20:22:42 »
Great up... but his name is eXo / exoscoreae, not eXoDOS.  I know you pasted the readme, but you've set the post up to read as if you are attributing yourself for the collection, rather than him.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015 - 20:38:27 by Zandro »

Offline MrGlasspoole

Re: Win3xO - The Win 3 x Collection by eXo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015 - 17:59:02 »
Sorry did not read good enough. Now i saw it:
This primarily covers 16 bit games

So my early question is cleared:
I wonder if this are really only 16-Bit Windows games?
Most Windows 3.x games i guess are DOS games?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015 - 18:05:41 by MrGlasspoole »

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015 - 18:56:19 »
Most Windows 3.x games i guess are DOS games?

Actually, the Windows 3.x games included wouldn't run under DOS if you tried, hence they were Windows only. Some of them might be updated versions of DOS games, but they're not identical.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015 - 22:10:42 »
What is the preffered emulator/frontend for this collection + exodos 2.0? Also, can modern gamepad be configured for these games (like an original XBOX controller via USB adapter)?

Also, I have a PC I wanna dedicate to running old DOS/Win 3.x games. Could I somehow run them in 240p somehow for my 240p capable CRT monitor?

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015 - 22:25:47 »
Both come with their own preconfigured frontends, MEAGRE.  Below that is DOSBox, which supports joypads with a little editing of dosbox.conf in the game's launch path (ex: Win3xO\games\!win3x\CasWin1\), which you can do [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login or through any [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login.

You can also run the KeyMapper in-game with Ctrl+F1 to set your joystick events.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015 - 22:31:23 by Zandro »

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015 - 23:41:12 »
How about 240p on a CRT (I guess 320x240)? Does DOSbox  or MEAGRE allow that resolution. I am wanting to use one of my PC's as a DOS/Windows 3.x game machine (which will take residence with my 240p game consoles).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015 - 23:44:40 by XC-3730C »

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015 - 23:50:56 »
Anything past Win98 will not provide native output of such low resolutions, at which point you're better off running the games natively.

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015 - 23:52:47 »
Hmmm, well maybe I will run my PC through my Emotia for 240p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015 - 00:08:16 »
I misremembered, it is anything newer than XP that will not switch to it for command prompt.  If your card permits, DOSBox WILL output in the resolution requested by your game, otherwise it will use the lowest allowed (such as 640x480).  [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login can be used to add special resolutions for your Windows environment, but as this is dangerous without some experience, I recommend you try messing with your current setup first.  I can't experience your setup first-hand, so you're actually at an advantage to answering this question.

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015 - 00:30:53 »
I often wonder if I should just use an older PC  of mine (I believe itis a P3 or P4) that runs Win 98 and not deal with an emulator, but I would then need to know what video card to get, and I wouldn't know where to start with that (plus in the case of using a true Windows 98 machine, I wouldn't be able to use all of the config files and extras), or use my Core 2 Duo with XP and do a DOS emulator.

I am curious. What is the preferred OS for running these gamws with a DOS emu?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015 - 01:20:22 by XC-3730C »

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015 - 03:32:13 »
No DOS emu for me :P
I have two DOS machines:
1. Pentium MMX P55C + Diamond Stealth III S540 S3 Savage4 Pro + Voodoo 1 Diamond Monster 3D + Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
2. 1.4GHz Tualeron + Voodoo3 2000 + Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II

And DOS is nothing without real Roland sound - but i believe it's also possible in DOSbox.

Monitor is a Sony GDM-FW900.
Old games suck on LCD.
I live in RGB land so i have some Loewe and Grundig TVs for my old consoles.
Samsara (BluRay) on the Sony kills every LCD ;D

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015 - 05:53:11 »
@MrGlasspoole,

Impressive PC's! What does #1 do that #2 can't (and view versa?).
I have a CRT that does 15khz and 31khz, that I use for all my RGB systems (Famicom, SNES, Genesis, Jaguar, etc). I wanna do 240p on an old school PC.

Speaking of which, I got an IBM Netvista 6790 Model 2MU from ebay that has a P4 1.80ghz CPU (and I don't know what AGP graphics card and PCI sound card).It came installed with Win2K but I may wanna put 98 or XP on it. Would that be a good DOS/Win 3.x gaming PC?

If I used XP and DOSbox, would that run games at 240P (320X240) since my CRT monitor supports it? Or would running my PC with Win 98 be better?

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015 - 08:11:00 »
There is a third Voodoo machine:
1.4GHz PIII-S Tualatin + Voodoo 5500 AGP (Dualboot Win95 OSR2.5 / Win98 SE) :D

The thing is that some DOS games need a faster and some others a slower CPU.
By switching in the BIOS you can simulate different CPUs (speed) on the Pentium MMX P55C.
Also there are differences in the compatibility of DOS games and Voodoo cards.

What do you mean by 240p? There is not really such defined resolution when it comes to old PC games.
They come in all kind of resolutions. But thats where CRTs come into play. There is not such a thing as nasty upscaling like on LCD.
Play the came in the resolution it has and it looks the same on a 14" or 19" CRT.

15khz is TV standard (consoles) and 31khz is PC standard. Except the old ones like Amiga 500.
Arcade machines where 15khz and thats the reason to connect a PC to a RGB CRT TV if you want the real thing.
Something about the Sony: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

P4? Hm maybe this is the right thread for you: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015 - 20:30:41 »
What is the difference between this and exodos 2.0