Author Topic: Is the Dreamcast DAT abandoned/moved to Trurip?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline newyokohama

Is the Dreamcast DAT abandoned/moved to Trurip?
« on: September 10, 2015 - 19:55:41 »
Good afternoon,

I've spent considerable time with the latest Dreamcast TOSEC release, TOSEC - Sega - Dreamcast (TOSEC-v2014-07-31)

Does anyone know if this collection is to be updated with any frequency? I know these are basically verified Dumpcast dumps, and Trurip dumps don't need to be verified, so there's more to choose from. Has Trurip basically taken over the project? (Redump aside here, not included in the conversation.)

I just want to be absolutely sure, before I point Romvault and the Trurip DAT at this collection and press the button.

Thanks a lot for any hints.
-ny

EDIT: Saw this in the last week, that's about it: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015 - 20:04:48 by newyokohama »

Offline Maddog

Re: Is the Dreamcast DAT abandoned/moved to Trurip?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015 - 16:55:48 »
Hi there. Perhaps getting an answer from the DAT maintainer is good enough for you.  ;)

The dats are not abandoned, just hibernating. It's true that after moving to Dubai I haven't done much on them but it's not just laziness or indifference on my side, even though there's a part of it there as well. Another reason is that there were not many things left to do and new submissions have been reduced to almost none during the last year. Basically PAL and US sets are complete with all released games dumped apart from some country or ringcode variants. The Japanese set would require new dumpers to submit stuff. I plan to take a look at what's there and make a small update (I have seen the recent handful of submissions at Dumpcast) but I don't expect something major to happen unless some new dumper appears and starts submitting a lot of Japanese dumps. I have many of those sitting unverified ATM.

I don't agree with the notion that Trurip doesn't need to be verified. They are done with the same dumping method and most of the Trurip stuff came directly from Dumpcast as well. Their method is definitely better than TOSEC's when it comes to CD-based consoles but on GD-ROM they were basically doing the same, even utilizing the same dumpers. I have also given a lot of my own dumps to Trurip as well as TOSEC. They just choose to add the unverifieds, something I still won't do as I feel there are a couple of good reasons to not add unverifieds.
IMHO it's mostly a matter of preference for naming method etc, when you choose between TOSEC and Trurip Dreamcast dats. Or if you want to have the additional dumps in Trurip, as TOSEC will not add stuff that is not actual GD-ROM dumps to the dats. Trurip has added some extra stuff too.

Offline newyokohama

Re: Is the Dreamcast DAT abandoned/moved to Trurip?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015 - 22:19:09 »
haha yes sir! I remember you from your old thekickback site. Much respect. Thanks again. :-)