Author Topic: Nintendo - GameCube Patch (1330) (2016-05-29)  (Read 6860 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Amiga12

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
  • Amiga Fan !!
Re: Nintendo - GameCube Patch (1330) (2016-05-29)
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016 - 21:30:40 »

2016-05-29 - 1331 entries - 277 games - 130.5 Gb
Added 236 patches !
Updated Nintendo GameCube-patched list (see attachment).
My project ??
...is to share Nintendo GameCube patches and many times and bandwidth saved, cool for the Earth.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline WickedOne

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 67
Re: Nintendo - GameCube Patch (1330) (2016-05-29)
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017 - 01:37:49 »
Since I'm currently running some tests between GSMerge, nNASOS and using xdelta3 ... I think those "2 Games in 1" entries could do with some updating.  I guess you might be better off offering a patch from the original release to the "2 Games in 1" release instead of patching between language versions ;)
They are actually not "2 Games in 1" but slightly updateded releases of the original games on 2 disks ...

The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. (Larry Wall, creator of Perl)

Offline BuildEmAll

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 64
Re: Nintendo - GameCube Patch (1330) (2016-05-29)
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017 - 04:51:36 »
Hi WickedOne,

It appears that you might be using the dats from the previous post that have been outdated for over a year.

Updated dats can be found here: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login and are updated regularly.

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
I guess you might be better off offering a patch from the original release to the "2 Games in 1" release instead of patching between language versions ;)
They are actually not "2 Games in 1" but slightly updateded releases of the original games on 2 disks ...

Thanks for that info and I will look into that!

Offline WickedOne

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 67
Re: Nintendo - GameCube Patch (1330) (2016-05-29)
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017 - 02:05:28 »
Thank you for reminding me, that I wanted to try out BEA, although I'm looking more for a way to script the process that fiddling with a GUI :) 

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Hi WickedOne,

It appears that you might be using the dats from the previous post that have been outdated for over a year.

Updated dats can be found here: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login and are updated regularly.

Thanks for that info and I will look into that!

So let me try and describe how I'm working right now. I started out with a current Redump Gamecube dat (20170530) and someone in the nNASOS development thread [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login pointed me to an older dat (from 2013) which had the parent/clone relationships in it. It's not exactly a P/C relationship, more like a country-less group. So I only have to add the proper relations for any new dumps from then.
Secondly I'm taking the isos in one group (e.g. 007 - Agent Under Fire, containing all 5 region releases),
  • run nNASOS to create the .dec files
  • and then create all possible permutations of patches (20)
  • now I (currently still manually..) work out which combination will yield the smallest raw file size
  • add a simple .bat file with the commands to create all the dec files from one input .dec file and the (in the example 4) patches
  • 7zip the .bat,  .dec and the appropriate patches
  • run GCMerge Mk.II of the original isos
  • 7Zip the GCMerge output with the same options
  • compare results

I'm using the following parameters:
  - 7Zip: Ultra:LZMA2:Dict 512MB:Wordsize 273:solid archive:3 threads (I chose the larger dictionary over more threads, because even on a 16GB machine needing more than 10 actual GB is still pretty hard to achieve without swapping..)
  - xdelta3: I started with the parameters from this thread, but since then I actually changed to using no compression (-0 -S none) also for speed purposes. And the patches will be comressed again anyway.

It is slow going, since I'm splicing the dat files manually, simply because creating the xdeltas is taking so bloody long.
I'm also logging the 'patch path' by using the "cloneof" tag in the new datfile.

Currently it's looking promising, with shaving off like 100MB-300MB when you got 3 or more clones in a set. When it's only 1-3 files in a set, GCMerge is close and sometimes even better.
And "Animal Crossing" is an edge case, where only 7zipping all the .dec files without the patches is actually the smallest file, but those are direct port from the N64 game so this is expected and down to the amount of memory :)
Currently the best result I have is "The Incredibles" (2 Games in 1 versions and regular releases thrown together) in which the .dec+xdelta3 groups is nearly exactly 1GB smaller than the GCMerged set.

So until I automate the process of selecting the smallest (uncompressed) set, it's annoying slow going work and the patches listed on this thread are not all possible combinations. But once it's done it should be easy for everyone to convert their sets and really save a ton of space over keeping single file sets ;)
And since GCMerge only covers Gamecube games, this method should be workin generally for other consoles, too :)

EDIT: BTW ... if I am trying to reinvent the wheel here, someone please kick me! :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017 - 02:38:55 by WickedOne »
The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. (Larry Wall, creator of Perl)