Author Topic: C64 Collection - Where to find?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline timmyb

C64 Collection - Where to find?
« on: July 12, 2016 - 23:45:57 »
Hi,

First go at trying this, I've been all over then NET trying to get my C64 TOSEC set finished, I've managed to get 307,391 files but simply cannot find the last 84,038

I appreciate this is probably too big for the full fixdats to e completed here, but does anyone know where else I can try? I've downloaded all the fix's here I can find and the huge archive on grandis.nu

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching one of my incomplete sets which is the .d64 games section.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
Re: C64 Collection - Where to find?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016 - 23:56:38 »
Hello timmyb, that's sufficient progress on your end... Might as well make it more efficient and cut out having to visit other sites.  I'll upload your fixes soon.

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016 - 02:37:46 by Zandro »

Offline timmyb

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016 - 04:01:52 »
Hello timmyb, that's sufficient progress on your end... Might as well make it more efficient and cut out having to visit other sites.  I'll upload your fixes soon.

Thanks so much Zandro, as I'm new to all this could I ask how you managed to do it? (assume there a program which loads a fixdat file and creates a .zip?)

I have a couple of other C64 sets I need filled (biggest being a similar sized number for .D64 demos) before I have the full set, but would like to do a contribute once I get the full set. I'll definately chip in and help others trying to do the same. I've just managed to get to grips with "RomVault" but I've not seen this function within it.

I've started with C64 TOSEC set but will hopefully move onto the Amiga and BBC Micro sets next.

Thanks again for finishing this set for me, I'm downloading your ZIP right now.

Regards,

Tim

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016 - 04:58:08 »
RomVault's reports are fixdats, the 5th button down on the left pane generates them. Essentially, I put yours into a dat pile loaded by my instance of RomVault which manages TOSEC, pressed Update DATs, then Find Fixes, then Fix ROMs.  It copies all available matches to the location I pre-specified the files for this fixdat should go. 20 thousand files is a bit much to upload individually, so I had to wrap it all up in something, but instead of zip compression, I opted to extract and recompress with a solid archive method that reduces the redundancy of data brought on by having so many variants of each game, saving 150MB.  You'll need to extract the data into your RomVault's ToSort location, then press Find Fixes, then Fix ROMs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016 - 05:04:01 by Zandro »

Offline timmyb

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016 - 11:12:57 »
Essentially, I put yours into a dat pile loaded by my instance of RomVault which manages TOSEC, pressed Update DATs, then Find Fixes, then Fix ROMs.

Ahh the penny drops, you treat the fixdats just like a TOSEC dat file? That makes perfect sense to me now (I've really become somewhat obsessive with RomVault - fantastic program).

If it's not too much hassle could I also get the attached filled out? I've combined several fixdats into one file to make it easier (I saw someone else had done this and imagine it makes things easier).

Regards,

Tim

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016 - 18:36:33 »

Offline timmyb

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016 - 11:52:14 »
Thanks very much Zandro, sorry it took so long to say thank-you for the last fill - I had a rather untimely Windows 10 update occur to me and it's taken a few days to get everything back to normal and get back online!

You've done so much I feel embarrassed to ask for a final fill (these are the last of the files I need, after this I have the complete set for C64).

I have split the dat file zip into two as it wouldn't fit within the upload limit, not sure if that works, if not I have shared the dat file on my google drive here:

This isnt' zipped so might work better.

Thanks again, and I understand if it's too much of an imposition to do this fill.

Regards,

Tim

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016 - 15:35:05 »
Not sure how you split the archive, but I cannot extract it with 7-Zip or WinRAR.  'b' would seem to be the first file based on size and PK header, but after the decompressor couldn't work with the next specified file, combining the files with COPY /B also didn't work.  If a file is too large to attach, don't attach it; just host it elsewhere as you did (but preferably not one which abstracts the file so much ;))

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016 - 23:52:59 by Zandro »

Offline timmyb

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016 - 11:32:53 »
Not sure how you split the archive, but I cannot extract it with 7-Zip or WinRAR. 

Sorry about that, I had a .z01 file (which I renamed to b.zip thinking it would be the second file in the zip series) as the upload wouldn't accept .Z01. Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks very much for the files, this has gotten me down to 392993 roms with just 45 missing which is better than I could have hoped for, thank you so much for the fills, I'm moving onto the Apple 2 collection now (I'm trying to keep roms for all systems I physically collect as I think it's important to preserve the software alongside the hardware).

Once more, thanks so much for everything you've done, will stay around on the forums to see if I can pass it forward.

Regards,

Tim