Author Topic: FTP Server  (Read 12650 times)

Offline bigfattony

FTP Server
« on: July 29, 2016 - 15:00:05 »
Important edit: I've started getting SMART errors on one of my drives. As I made the big mistake of using BTRFS RAID 5, this means that my array is very likely to be compromised when I rebuild, or at least put it in an unprotected state.

I'm going to take it offline until I can get everything backed up.

Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope I helped at least somebody out with this service.

Hey guys,

Over the past month or so, I have been setting up my NAS, rebuilding my ROM sets onto it, and trying to set it up for FTP access for people to grab what they need from my sets.

Most of my sets are rebuilt. I need to do a bit of housekeeping, but I think that I am mostly ready to start giving people access.

What I need is some advice.

I have vsftp installed on my server, and I think I have it set up to jail people to specific directories (I have personal stuff on here that isn't for everyone ;) ). Any tips on making sure it works well would be great. Second, I have set FTP users to read only. I want to create a directory to allow people to upload, should they wish. I would like to set this up within FTP, rather than adjusting file permissions.

The current config should jail you to the roms directory. I have a 18mbps upload speed. Think about this when you're downloading many isos, for example. This is my own server. I reserve the right to reboot it, turn it off, or anything like that without notice. I don't care if you want to download all my gamecube ISOs, for example, but keep in mind that if 18 people are doing this, you will get an average 1mbps speed, and it will take a long time. If I reboot in that time, it will make your life more difficult. You might want to consider finding a torrent instead.

As I say I don't care how much you want to download, but if I suspect that anyone is trying to poke around where they shouldn't, I also reserve the right to revoke access.

Anyway, for now, if you want access, PM me for details.

I have probably made a mess of the above post, but never mind.

EDIT:

I currently have the following sets hosted:

TOSEC - All - Complete as of 2016-11-11

No Intro:

Custom - a bit scattered. I have some sets. Not other. Working on them soon.
Discontinued - Complete
Main - I believe I have the current best miss with sets from 2017-01-02.

Amiga - 527
GBA Ecards - 3
New 3ds (DLC) - 1 - I know the best miss for this is 0, but they changed the sets. I have the old style.
Spectrum - 3

Redump

Bios - complete
Main - Again, dats from 2016-09-01. Things are a bit scattered. Small sets are at best fix, I think. Big sets are in much TLC. PSX is complete, or at least, best miss. Gamecube is likely not too far off
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017 - 08:51:37 by bigfattony »

Offline Thallyrion

Re: FTP Server
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016 - 16:59:32 »
Which sets do you have on your FTP? TOSEC? Redump? Something else?
-----------------
Looking for Amiga (TOSEC) fixes and updates?
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016 - 18:19:01 »
Currently:

All available Good (afaik)
All non-good
All Redump bios
some redump main (I'd avoid CD based ones at the moment as things like PSX are a mess and include very incomplete 'sets'. i.e. tracks 2+, but not track 1)
All Tosec main
All tosec pix
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my TOSEC iso
An older set of Gruby's scummvm stuff
Most available no intro main (though I haven't really updated in a month). Might be missing a  set though I forget which
All of no intro discontinued
Hardly any from custom
Mame has been built from 0.170. I will update it when I get chance, but as you can guess, it is incomplete
Trurip is in the rebuld queue
Most of the company files (amiga games)
KGwhdload set
All of Maybe intro

I can get some better stats soon, if you like?

Offline Andrea71

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016 - 18:22:58 »
oh wow... great!
Admin social page Mamechannel network: Facebook: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login - Twitter: @mamechannel_it - Google+: +mamechannelit - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016 - 20:17:25 »
Be good to have access to decent servers again, like the old days, Zxyo, Edc etc.

:)

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016 - 20:32:53 »
Fingers crossed :)

though one person is having issues, saying that they are interupted and being asked if they want to overwrite the file.

If anyone else is having the issue, let me know. Or, if not, also let me know.

Also, if someone has a solution? I think that will come when we know if this is affecting everyone

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016 - 21:04:41 »
I ballsed up the user. If you were having trouble connecting, try again. Should hopefully work

Offline Connie

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016 - 18:01:20 »
Thanks.

When you get a little more 'organised', you might want to consider an 'Upload' or 'New' folder where people can upload new stuff or you can leave a message for fill requests. :)
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016 - 19:38:19 »
Yeah, that was the idea. I hopefully won't be too long in getting it running well.

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016 - 19:17:39 »
Erm, so it appears that I may have a problem. In my infinite wisdom to embrace new technology, I decided to use btrfs raid 5 on my server. Then this happens. [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

So, I have a potential problem.

What am I going to do about it? Nothing for the time being. I should be able to convert it to RAID10 and rebalance on the fly, but:

/dev/sda         22T   16T  2.8T  85% /mnt/data

Yes, I don't have the space to do so.

I have Crashplan running on that machine. I intend to let it finish its initial backup, and then there won't be as many issues. I will try to keep my sets up to date (currently, most are pre-July, but I intend to change that.)

I had an issue with clrmamapro that I will try to resolve soon, and then I will get back on rebuilding. I still have 3x3TB drives to process, so I might have to prioritise what is available.

I am open to suggestions, by the way. If I'm not making sense at the moment, then it is because I am mostly thinking out loud, so yeah, suggest away.

Thanks for reading.

Offline sbranzo

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016 - 10:30:32 »
Hi Bigfattony,

yes, the btrfs was an unlucky choice but no worries! It's not like you are sitting on a time bomb!

Yes, your plan B seems good, and i recovered a lot of lost causes with crasplan. What are your uploading speed? Crashplan is known to be slow.

My advice is to NOT upload to your server anymore (to lessen the risk of a parity corruption) and wait for the backup.

If i may be of more help please ask via PM. I may or may not have several servers scattered in the world and a bit of experience in filesystem AND sharing. Another source of information could be [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login or the linked irc channel #datahoarder on freenode.

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016 - 20:38:27 »
Cheers sbranzo.

/r/datahoarder is actually where I read about btrfs raid5 issue!

Anyway, I am changing from crashplan to amazon cloud drive, as it is cheaper and people have been reporting faster speeds.

I am also in the process of bringing all my roms up to date as of 01/09/2016.

I might need to streamline a bit - move some less popular stuff off. But, I have an awful lot of rudump to add so, it will be worth it :)

Offline sbranzo

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016 - 22:42:50 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Cheers sbranzo.

/r/datahoarder is actually where I read about btrfs raid5 issue!

Anyway, I am changing from crashplan to amazon cloud drive, as it is cheaper and people have been reporting faster speeds.

I am also in the process of bringing all my roms up to date as of 01/09/2016.

I might need to streamline a bit - move some less popular stuff off. But, I have an awful lot of rudump to add so, it will be worth it :)

Acd seems a good choice. I don't think it's essential but it could be better to encrypt your uploaded linux isos <wink wink>
Encfs could be the right solution.

Offline locvez

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016 - 18:48:08 »
Thanks for offering to share, bigfattony :) I have sent a pm

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016 - 20:13:43 »
Just tried it, couldn't connect, has the url or ip address changed?

Thanks,

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.