Author Topic: FTP Server  (Read 11709 times)

Offline bigfattony

Re: FTP Server
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016 - 10:27:13 »
Oops!

I got a new router and set up the wrong port. I forwarded 23 instead of 21 because I'm some sort of idiot.

Should be up again now.

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016 - 12:53:20 »
Updated first post with a bit of information about what is available.

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016 - 10:45:49 »
This is really decent of you. I did a similar thing many years ago with my Sour DnB complete collection and it got absolutely thrashed for a few years.

One thing I would do is change it to an SFTP daemon (SSH File Transfer) as it's loads more secure and will ensure the data is not transmitted in plain text. So by default you'll be on port 22 (which I would also change to stop port scanners easily finding the site). Most decent file transfer programs support FTP/FTPS/SFTP these days so won't be any real hardship for the users.

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017 - 20:31:46 »
Thanks for the advice.

I had considered sftp, but if I was going to go down that route, I'd prefer to use public key authentication over passwords. I don't really want keyless ssh access to my server. FTPS could work though...

I'm not fussed about the details for the server getting out, per se. I just don't want them to become available via a search engine. I could set up fail2ban to ban brute force attacks, which could be an idea.

Anyway, I'll have a think. My main priority at the moment is to get everything backed up (I made a post previously about being on btrfs RAID 5). Whe that is done, I'll probably nuke and start over with a less problematic raid/raid-like setup. Still undecided.

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017 - 17:52:25 »
Yeah, I see your point on allowing SSH without keys but I'm sure there will be a way to disallow terminal/shell access (which I guess is your concern?) via the daemon. I have an SFTP site that some of our clients use at work and it only allows file transfer (locked to their own root folder), with terminal/shell access and everything else completely disabled.

Haha, I have enough to deal with different types of RAID at work so understand the frustration at anything outside the norm!

Offline bigfattony

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017 - 11:45:08 »
Normally I'd have just gone for a regular RAID setup, but I thought I'd embrace the new tech with btrfs. Oops!