Author Topic: Total DOS Collection (TDC)  (Read 2321 times)

Offline @tractivo

Total DOS Collection (TDC)
« on: September 07, 2016 - 02:36:20 »
hey guys, i am trying to complete the "RPG" tagged roms from the TDC dats. i am still missing some. if anyone may have a look at my fixdats please. anyone into collecting TDC? please~?

fixdat might be updated later.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016 - 16:20:57 by @tractivo »

Offline @tractivo

Re: Total DOS Collection (TDC)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016 - 16:26:52 »
thanks to a nice pm message i got my hands on the complete tdc#11. from there i am trying to complete tdc#12 now.
if anyone would be kind enough (i am guessing that a torrentzipped fill would be around 2,5gb~) to get me there i would really really appreciate it.

THANKS~

*edti: and in case someone is interested in fixing some rollbacks for TDC i have also attached the fixdats for that. shouldnt be as much of size
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017 - 21:26:35 by @tractivo »

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016 - 18:27:59 »
I'll take a look and see what I can do. I should have what you're looking for.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Connie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016 - 11:54:41 »
If these are official TDC, wouldn't it be impossible to torrentzip? I thought TDC program/dats use specific date/time matches.

I was working on a clrmamepro dat awhile ago to utilise checking/setting the date/time of files, but got side tracked because it's a very slow scanning process.
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Torrent Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline @tractivo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016 - 12:09:10 »
i have loaded the official dats in romvault. marked one of the dats, right clicked on it and used the "Make Dat.." feature. after i did this on each dat seperately, i have deduped them reversed-cascaded with sabretools starting with the newest #12 release dat.
yeah i am loosing the timestamps, like in all other dats used with romvault. so, whatever :)

oh and in the case of playability, i can use the undeduped dat of any release and build the desired game with it, or use a d2d dat for uncompressed files (to be more accurate), like the one from darksabre76 for release 9 which delivers sha1 and md5 hashes aswell.

sadly i couldnt effort to grab the complete release #12 collection (cant build ratio with my limited uploadspeed), else i would have made a d2d for release #12.

its nice that tdc is storing the timestamps for each file, but if they would add sha1 and md5 to their dats, then it wouldnt be necessary to keep the timestamps. if i am wrong, please let me know

and if someone has the time to make a d2d for uncompressed #12, that would be sweet (looking at you darksabre76 :P)
once in six months is not so bad is it. now that sabretools has an awesome datfromdir function!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016 - 12:41:04 by @tractivo »

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016 - 14:28:11 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
i have loaded the official dats in romvault. marked one of the dats, right clicked on it and used the "Make Dat.." feature. after i did this on each dat seperately, i have deduped them reversed-cascaded with sabretools starting with the newest #12 release dat.
yeah i am loosing the timestamps, like in all other dats used with romvault. so, whatever :)

oh and in the case of playability, i can use the undeduped dat of any release and build the desired game with it, or use a d2d dat for uncompressed files (to be more accurate), like the one from darksabre76 for release 9 which delivers sha1 and md5 hashes aswell.

sadly i couldnt effort to grab the complete release #12 collection (cant build ratio with my limited uploadspeed), else i would have made a d2d for release #12.

its nice that tdc is storing the timestamps for each file, but if they would add sha1 and md5 to their dats, then it wouldnt be necessary to keep the timestamps. if i am wrong, please let me know

and if someone has the time to make a d2d for uncompressed #12, that would be sweet (looking at you darksabre76 :P)
once in six months is not so bad is it. now that sabretools has an awesome datfromdir function!
sha1 and md5 have no correlation to timestamp.

Timestamp is desired due to the TDC creators wish to preserve not only the files but the original date of the files.

You should consider using the size+crc as a common point of reference on each file to re-assign the datestamp back to each ROM in your newly created dir2dat.

Offline @tractivo

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016 - 15:04:21 »
you know that romvault loads tdc dats?
and romvault does torrentzip on default. so for romvault users, there is no way around it.
i have not created a dir2dat. i just converted the official dat with romvault. thats all there is to it :)
the dir2dat i have mentioned is one created by darksabre76 for release #9. which could be used for playability. if you want to make 100% sure to have all correct files.
for having a complete collection, the timestamps which are lost by converting the dats, are not much of interest.
because you will still have the exact same files. only difference would be that the files dont have there original timestamps, which already happened for all other collections build with romvault.

but its nice to see a source archiving the timestamps with the files. thats cool :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016 - 15:11:37 by @tractivo »

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016 - 17:47:31 »
3GB of fixes headed your way from [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login. I don't think that was everything, just because of what got fixed, so if you still have a fixdat, throw it my way and I'll see what I can do.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline @tractivo

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016 - 18:07:09 »
thanks a lot buddy~  :) , aight gonna report later on how far this gets me!

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016 - 18:51:58 »
you know that romvault loads tdc dats?
and romvault does torrentzip on default. so for romvault users, there is no way around it.
i have not created a dir2dat. i just converted the official dat with romvault. thats all there is to it :)
the dir2dat i have mentioned is one created by darksabre76 for release #9. which could be used for playability. if you want to make 100% sure to have all correct files.
for having a complete collection, the timestamps which are lost by converting the dats, are not much of interest.
because you will still have the exact same files. only difference would be that the files dont have there original timestamps, which already happened for all other collections build with romvault.

but its nice to see a source archiving the timestamps with the files. thats cool :)
My point is that you can either add the timestamp tags (from the TDC .dat file) to the ROMVault dir2dat. or you can add the MD5+SHA1 tags (from the ROMVault dir2dat) to the original TDC .dat file.  The size+CRC is the common point of reference for each ROM.

Discounting the value of the original timestamps merely because the tools you happen to utilize are not cognizant of them is not cool.

Merely my opinion, of course.

Offline @tractivo

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016 - 19:27:57 »
still not dir2datting anything. the actual files does not exist on my drive when i am converting the tdc dat with romvault. i just load the tdc dat and let romvault make a rv-dat out of it.
sha1 and md5 are not calculated. only the given information "size" and "crc" are added to the rv-dat.

i am also maintaining my sets a bit different. i actually dedupe each set to a given order which i predefine to my liking. and in this order exodos is higher ranked than tdc. then i dedupe all dats according my sorting order, which means stuff from tdc thats also found in exodos are not listed by tdc. that way each file is only stored once in my collection. the same goes for no-intro, maybeintro, tosec, trurip, redump etc.
and also i am generating rollback dats from older dats for each source. again everything is deduped.

so instead of around 15milion files my dats are counting "only" around 3,5milion :D
all thanks to sabretools!

what am i trying to say? that you wlkdf90jdfg dont need to worry, because this is only a personal collection. and i found my way to maintain this without loosing functionality of these sets. but still can shrink my collections to less than a third. i am not interfering with the tdc project in any way. just asking for fixes :) thats all

and if you now think that i am uncool, then thats cool with me ;)

Offline @tractivo

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016 - 20:58:53 »
darksabre76 thanks a lot buddy. all missing got fixed. simplesort.exe has succeeded this test :) 

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016 - 05:46:02 »
I call that a win then =) Took a while, though....

Offline arromdee

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016 - 04:14:36 »
How do you actually contact the people responsible for Total DOS Collection?  I have some old DOS games on CD that I got in the late 1990's on sale.  I checked one and it seemed to have some different files than the corresponding game in the collection.

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • B├ęzier Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016 - 04:24:24 »