Author Topic: Total DOS Collection (TDC)  (Read 2319 times)

Offline fsmith2003

Re: Total DOS Collection (TDC)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016 - 06:51:11 »
How in the world do you use the IMG files found throughout TDC?  Every one that I try I am unable to mount or open in anyway.

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016 - 00:10:14 »
Without any specific examples mentioned to check by, I would assume that the IMG files that you speak of could be one of three different things.

1 - Floppy Disk Images: In the rare case that a floppy disk is required for gameplay, this would be why it's included.
2 - CD-ROM Images: Same things as the floppy disks, just with CD's instead
3 - Images - Not a lot of old programs had the same naming standards for files nowadays. Old pictures and images used by the program (spite sheets, title cards, whatever) could be stored separate to the executable and just labeled .IMG.

These are all stabs in the dark, but those are your best bets.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline fsmith2003

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016 - 05:06:39 »
The two examples I have come across are the first and second Kings Quest games.  They are both in a zipped file containing an IMG.  I am aware that an IMG is an image of a floppy/cd file.  However, in this instance I am unable to burn this image to a floppy or mount it using Magicdisc or something of the sort in Windows.  It gives me an error that file cannot be read every time.  I didn't know if there was something special that needed done to successfully unpack and or mount these and get them images on to a disk?

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016 - 05:18:28 »
I dug and found the ones that you're talking about. It looks like these were a pretty old type of floppy disc, so the odds of being able to open it properly are slim to none on a modern computer. Judging from the 360 KB size, they were ripped from 5.25 floppies. Not sure why even WinImage is having an issue with them, but your best bet is to try to find something that can open that specifically. I know that's not helpful, but it's all I can figure.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016 - 05:20:31 »
HA! MAME tools to the rescue. Just after posting I remembered "floptool" and "imgtool" in MAME. Floptool is reporting that they are Atari ST floppy disk images. So there you go. They're Atari ST versions that snuck into TDC. Use your favorite ST emulator and get at it :P

Offline fsmith2003

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016 - 05:43:26 »
Atari ST huh?  Well that doesn't do a person looking for DOS games much good lol.  Well Im not sure what happened but any file that I have tried with the IMG extension has not worked.  And there are SEVERAL.  Its kind of crazy that this many slipped through the cracks!  Where does one go to address this issue to better future releases?

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016 - 17:38:02 »
Absolutely no idea, but I think the project site is [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login still.

Offline ImpulseX

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016 - 21:34:52 »
Total DOS Collection #12 is out. Comes with the DAT file for it... The latest is available from [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login which requires administrator approval.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016 - 22:39:26 by ImpulseX »

Offline hargle

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017 - 04:25:47 »
Hi,

Hargle here from the total DOS collection group.  Someone pointed out to me that there was some discussion going on and my ears started burning, so here I am.  Let me see if i can answer some questions for you.  Working in reverse order:

1. totalDOScollection.org is indeed our home, but our forum isn't really open to the public.  If you really, really, really want to sign up and discuss helping the project out, then send me a PM here and introduce yourself.  We're not trying to discriminate, honest, but we're also trying to only get people who are actually dedicated to helping the project out at this time.  I don't spend much time on any of the forums- my time is better spent working directly on the archive and trying to check in as many files as possible.

2. nugnugnug.com/pc/master is obsolete.  I can no longer log into that site to even delete it.  Our new master lists and .dat files are available here:
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

3. The .IMG files are definitely not Atari ST! 

Assuming you're referring to these two files:
King's Quest [DC] (1984)(Sierra On-Line, Inc.) [Adventure].img.zip
King's Quest II- Romancing the Throne v1.1h [DC] (1985)(Sierra On-Line, Inc.) [Adventure].img.zip
(if not, these two are fine examples of how to work with img files)

Unzip into a temporary folder that is mounted for DOSBox
start dosbox
type "boot <file1.img> <file2.img>"

for KQ1, the game will start up and you can play directly.
for KQ2, the first disk will boot and ask you to insert the 2nd disk.  Press Ctrl-F4 to switch between the two disks you mounted.

IMG files are kind of a special case in a DOS collection like TDC.  Technically they aren't DOS games at all, they are "booters".  Some booters have been converted to DOS by ripping the disk contents off and creating executable files from them.  These games are tagged as [DC] in the zip filename and then the original disk .IMG files are relocated out of TDC in a separate archive.  Games that have not yet been converted to running straight from DOS are tagged with [DC] in the filename, and then they have that weird extension of ".img.zip".  These are placeholders that because of the tagging/filename can be quickly and easily searched for and located in the sea of files that TDC is turning into!  [there's over 17,000 files now]

Someday (I have been known to convert games from floppy to DOS in my past) all of the ".img.zip" games will hopefully be converted and then those img files moved into a better home with all the other disk images we have accumulated.

That at least covers the question from the last 6 months anyway.  If you have more, do please read the "intro.txt" which is at the root of all the TDC torrents.  It explains a lot of our motives.  I'll pop in here from time to time to check in on things, and do be on the lookout in mid Feb 2017 for TDC #13.

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017 - 18:43:15 »
Wow, thanks for the absolute info dump, hargle! It's probably a good thing that you mentioned an updated website and the like. Similarly, it's funny that imgtool from MAMEDEV said that those booter disks are Atari ST. Serves me for not reading into them earlier.