Author Topic: Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System / NES  (Read 29189 times)

Offline yeahimdukenukem

Re: Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System / NES
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2017 - 08:11:01 »
This file seems to be cut off at the end compared to g_u_n_t_a_n_k's one.
Also the CRC does not match the DAT, although g_u_n_t_a_n_k's one does.
I'm really confused here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017 - 08:15:39 by yeahimdukenukem »

Online NikNak

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2017 - 14:11:20 »
"Dragon Warrior (USA) (Beta)" seems to be matching file but the file itself is pretty much garbage. Don't know what the comment "TRIMMED" means in No-Intro terms.

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2017 - 01:19:40 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Here.

Size: 79.9 KB
CRC32: EE92A4B3

Got the new dat now this seems to be the needed dump... can somebody post the dragon warrior usa beta headered version ( CRC: EE92A4B3)
Waiting for the 1 nds, 3 sinclair and tons of amiga no-intro mia roms to be released...
sps software pls release the amigas to the public :8

Also waiting for a pokewalker and pocket pikachu 1 and 2 emulators xD

Zippyshare limit got increased to 500mb its a good place to upload your files guys

Offline s4nQy29A

« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2017 - 12:55:56 »
@Kostas Gangstar

Try the attachment for the headered version of "Dragon Warrior (USA) (Beta)".
- PW = "romshepherd"
- Recommended download tool = "jDownloader"
- Archive with ".part"? ALL parts needed!
- Please provide hash values/fixdatfiles with requests!
- Please report back corrupt/incomplete uploads!
- [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline KingTut

« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2017 - 13:06:13 »
Unheadered version.

Offline gamecaptor

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2017 - 01:00:02 »
Just picked up the latest date for NES (20170908-094200) and NONE of my ROMs match except for Super Mario Bros. (World). So what changed and does anyone have a place I can easily grab the ROMs (as I need all of them now :(

EDIT: I just noticed there are header and headerless dumps now. I guess mine where header version.

So should I change to headerless? Advantages of one over the other?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017 - 01:06:21 by gamecaptor »

Offline idlord

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2017 - 01:14:58 »
Advantage of Headered ROMs over Headerless is the ability to use them on practically any emulator. Headerless ROMs are more akin to the original game cartridge but not all emulators support them with the exception of [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login. It would be ideal to see Headered ROMs be done away with but it's doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2017 - 02:40:49 »
Id like to see the headered roms go away too like that paladin from warcraft 3
Waiting for the 1 nds, 3 sinclair and tons of amiga no-intro mia roms to be released...

Zippyshare limit got increased to 500mb its a good place to upload your files guys

Offline gamecaptor

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2017 - 05:07:57 »
Advantage of Headered ROMs over Headerless is the ability to use them on practically any emulator. Headerless ROMs are more akin to the original game cartridge but not all emulators support them with the exception of [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login. It would be ideal to see Headered ROMs be done away with but it's doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Thanks for that info!

So if I understand this correctly, Headless are more of a 1:1 (vs. Headered) BUT Headered ROMs are able to be used in nearly all instance.

Do other consoles use the headers? (SNES, GBA, etc)?

Semi-relevant question, what is the NES Classic using (if anyone has compared them)?

Offline idlord

« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2017 - 05:10:14 »
Only other consoles that uses headers are the Atari 7800, Lynx, and the Famicom Disk System, thankfully headers weren't used beyond those 4 consoles.

The NES Classic is also using headered ROMs, here's more info about it if your interested ([You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017 - 00:47:59 by idlord »

Offline gamecaptor

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2017 - 08:04:47 »
The NES Classic is also using headered ROMs, here's more info about it if your interested ([You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login).

Interesting. Well to your point of how headered ROMs are able to be used by nearly any emulator, there you go!

Thanks again for the info and the link. It is appreciated!

Offline derebo

« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2017 - 18:48:06 »
Hello,

I have read the different discussions regarding headered and headerless NES roms. So I think it might be of interest to some a mirror of No-Intro Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System .dat file for headered roms. It originate in s4nQy29A's No-Intro dated 20161223 roms count: 2727". v0.1 has a few renames to match filenames to the latest No-Intro NES 20170908-094200.

Having said that, latest No-Intro NES 20170908-094200 hosts 2743 roms whereas v0.1 hosts 2727. So 16 headered roms are still needed.

Adan y Eva (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl).zip
AV Super Real Pachinko (Japan) (Unl).zip
Brilliant Com Pack 2 (Korea) (Unl).zip
Dooly Bravo Land (Korea) (Unl).zip
Dragon Warrior (USA) (Beta).zip
Family BASIC (Japan) (v1.0).zip
Janggun-ui Adeul (Korea) (Unl).zip
Koko Adventure (Korea) (Unl).zip
Magic Kid Googoo (Korea) (Unl).zip
Metal Force (Korea) (Unl).zip
Mystery World Dizzy (Europe) (En,Pt,Pl) (Unl).zip
Pachio-kun 3 (Japan) (Rev A).zip
Playbox BASIC (Japan) (v0.0) (Beta).zip
Pro Wres (Japan) (FamicomBox).zip
Toki (USA) (Beta).zip
Toukyou Pachi-Slot Adventure (Japan) (Rev 0).zip

v0.1 dat is attached to this post. If you wish to support v0.2 may become a mirror of the latest No-Intro 20170908-094200.

Please, any inconsistencies you might find, just post.

Regards,

Offline DingDongDell

« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2017 - 02:45:34 »
Basically, there's two elements the emulator needs to know when emulating a NES game:
info 1- its physical layout (more importantly, the mapper, save ram if any, and how big it is, PAL/NTSC region, etc)
info 2- the game data on the cartridge

Dumping a game ROM with a retrode just gives you (info 2) only, not (info 1).

The way early NES emulators solved it was by adding a small 16 byte header at the beginning of each ROM, called the iNES header, that gives the (info 1) needed to emulate it at all.

This issue is still not gone away completely by the way.

More recent consoles, starting from SNES onwards, included another internal "header" inside the game data (info 2), that includes some information about the technology (HiRom/LoRom/Super-FX/etc), save ram, game region, how big it is, etc...
It helped that there were much less combinations possible compared to the NES with its more than 256 mappers.

So while early SNES roms came with headers, since emulator developers expected it to be like the NES and added headers with their own information about the physical aspect of the cartridge, as emulation advanced they saw no need for that anymore and begun using the internal headers.
So nowadays, it's the standard that most game ROMs don't use headers.

However, the lack of headers with (info 1) introduced new problems.
I'll take one example - the save RAM type. Some game consoles don't have it in their internal header, and then since there's no header with (info 1) added by fans anymore, the emulator no longer has that information.

So many Mega Drive and Game Boy Advance and DS emulators have manual exceptions for some games they know use a rare/different save RAM type (like EEPROM save type in MD games, this is the reason why Wonder Boy in Monster World is crashing on many old emulators and flashcarts by the way), they just check the whole ROM and calculate its CRC32 hash (like you do when completing your sets) and if it's one of the exceptions, changes the emulation mode accordingly.

Dragon Ball games on GBA even writes false information about the save type in the internal header on purpose to trick emulators, then tests the emulator to see if it will try to write in that false type instead of the correct type. The real cartridge has that save type physically, and it's different, so nothing will happen and the game is "legitimate". The emulator will be tricked. When the game detects it's tricked, it will throw an anti-piracy error like this:

Many SNES developers didn't even care about if the internal header information is correct, and many Satellaview ROM have wrong or corrupt empty internal headers.

Nintendo nowadays uses a header with (info 1) combined to the ROM data (info 2).
They used to use iNES headers but now use TNES ones made by them.
GBA and SNES games at least (don't know about others) have a custom header too with the (info 1) because they don't trust the internal headers for the reasons I mentioned before. Sometimes for games that need specific emulator hacks (SNES Classic) they added an "emulator preset" value in the ROM itself instead as an emulator configuration, and also configurations for how much ghosting and anti-flashing it needs to have.

byuu, the author of bsnes/higan, wanted to reintroduce these external headers as external xml files, and to separate coprocessor BIOS files from the ROMs, but his ideas were too radical and against user comfort to please everyone.
It's more needed for MSX and NES games.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017 - 02:48:00 by DingDongDell »

Offline gamecaptor

« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2017 - 06:33:42 »
Thank you for that awesome explanation DingDongDell! Very helpful!

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2017 - 07:49:53 »
Thanks for this info i hope somebody makes a android nes and fds emu which can run headerless roms cause i cant run this pc mesen emu