Author Topic: Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System / NES  (Read 29246 times)

Offline Jackal

Re: Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System / NES
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016 - 22:25:32 »
So I've checked derebo's datfile with Bootgod's DB (by using this script: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login ) on my partial ROM set, and uploaded files with header differences here: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

There were a couple ROMs that I fixed manually, because they weren't in Bootgod's DB:
Chiller (USA) (Unl) - changed to mapper 11
Mario Bros. (USA) (GameCube Edition) - horizontal mirroring to match (World)
Racermate Challenge II (USA) (v5.01.033) (Unl) - disabled sram to match other versions

@derebo would be nice if you could update your datfile with these files.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016 - 22:48:00 by Jackal »

Offline derebo

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016 - 09:17:14 »
Firstly, thank you all for your refreshing contributions after my posting. In the end, I think the common interest is for interested parties to have a headers datfile that is 100% accurate, no room for error. End of the story. Having said that, I couldn't tell what source the datted .nes roms come from as I can't remember. Only, they all must come from the same set as I have not been compiling roms from different sources. So I do appreciate your well-explained and positive remarks, knowledge and expertise.

I have attached a v0.2 datfile with Jackal's update which I think gets us closer to what we have in mind: a fault-free headers datfile. Maybe that is too much asking, but we could test the different updated roms so check they are displayed correctly? But of course, that might be emulator-dependant...

If you noticed any other issue that requires an update please, kindly report.

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Regards to all,

Offline Jackal

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016 - 11:18:08 »
Thanks and np.. the problem is that I only checked an incomplete set of 880 ROMs (non-Beta/Proto (USA) region and (Europe) exclusives) against your datfile.

I now performed these steps again on a full headerless set to see where we are:

- Download and install Python 2.7.13 from here: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
- Download the latest DB xml: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
- Grab the ines-fix script here: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login and with notepad open the .py script and change the filename of the DB xml to the newer one
- Put the script and the xml in a folder, along with all the extracted .nes roms, and run this in command prompt:
FOR /R %v IN (*.nes) DO "C:\fix\ines-fix.py" "%v"
(replace C:\fix with the correct folder)
- This will fix any wrong headers to match Bootgod's DB. Any ROMs that aren't present in the DB won't be changed.

Now we basically end up with 3 groups of files:

- 1902 ROMs where the reconstructed header matches the datfile v0.2
- 235 ROMs where the datfile v0.2 header does not match Bootgod's DB. These should be updated in your next datfile: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
And
- 590 ROMs that aren't recognized in Bootgod's DB: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login - since we aren't sure if the headers are correct, they would have to be checked manually... maybe compared against different region/version variants of the same game. I did check and fix a couple of them (the ones that I mentioned in my previous post), but we'd really need someone to carefully recheck all these. Unfortunately I know too little about this subject so I dont feel up to this task. Maybe Connie or someone else could help us out with this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016 - 16:44:23 by Zandro »

Offline derebo

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016 - 11:45:16 »
Great work! Glad to see it raises interest. Detailed information about the steps taken is a plus. For me to select those 1902 matching roms, it might be more useful if you don't mind, sharing them. So I could merge them with the ones from different.zip and then release v0.3 that will list 1902+235 roms. Then v0.3 would rightfully exclusively list matching headered roms. And, regarding those 590 roms, as you suggest, that involves manual checking and might take longer. It's ok anyway. Do you think Nestopia db could be a good db source to match those 590 roms against? Also, bootgod seems to be back. That might be a good option to ask about those 590 roms? I mean, any option that might reduce processing time.

Regards,

Offline Jackal

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016 - 12:15:45 »
Here's a list of the 2137 matching ROMs: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
I don't think it would be a good idea to remove ROMs from your datfile just because they are missing from the Bootgod DB.
And the nestopia DB probably is too outdated to be of any use..
You could try asking Bootgod if there's any sensible way to verify the headers of those 590 ROMs that are missing in his DB. And also ask him to create an updated xml database. The one that we have now is probably outdated compared to the website.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016 - 16:44:39 by Zandro »

Offline OldYeller

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017 - 02:04:36 »
<3 NES

Need a couple to complete this set of glory.

Thanks

-OY

Offline D34con

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017 - 08:42:46 »
i am on the trail...sorry...found only 4.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017 - 09:07:12 by D34con »
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline Connie

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017 - 13:11:58 »
You could try asking Bootgod if there's any sensible way to verify the headers of those 590 ROMs that are missing in his DB.
I suspect these 590 are a mixture of headers with the PAL flag enabled, a hor./vert. mirroring flag set even though the cart was mapper controlled, and unverified betas/protos with 'created' headers to maybe match official releases. These are often wrong because proto carts would use different chips/sizes/mappers, etc.
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline malaxian

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017 - 13:25:21 »
Oldyeller,

all your misses attached  they are all de-headered versions I prefer to keep the versions with a header still attached.

malaxian

Offline stupid1

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017 - 15:00:45 »
looking for two missing roms.. :)

thanks in advance!

Offline OldYeller

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017 - 17:52:15 »
Oldyeller,

all your misses attached  they are all de-headered versions I prefer to keep the versions with a header still attached.

malaxian

Thanks a bunch malaxian! That fixed my right up. I'm still trying to figure out the pros and cons each but I've settled on headered versions for now. Although I don't have a specific reason other than wanting maximum compatibility.

How do I tell if roms are headered or not?

Thanks again for the fix.

-OY

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017 - 18:08:04 »
Headers are 16 bytes long, starting with the byte pattern 4E 45 53 1A (NES→).  Roms are almost always sized in powers of 2 (4, 8, 16, ... 65536, etc) or a pairing of such sizes (8KB + 32KB = 40KB).  If you have a rom that is x2 + 16, you have a headered rom.

For more info: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017 - 18:10:48 by Zandro »

Offline YuiFAN

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017 - 21:53:04 »
Looking for some missing roms. Could someone help ?

Offline s4nQy29A

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017 - 14:38:47 »
@YuiFAN

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login [2.7 MB]

Headered and headerless versions included. (Some headers may be wrong, there was a little discussion about it some days ago and I haven't re-checked my ROMs since then.)
- PW = "romshepherd"
- Recommended download tool = "jDownloader"
- Archive with ".part"? ALL parts needed!
- Please provide hash values/fixdatfiles with requests!
- Please report back corrupt/incomplete uploads!
- [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline mrsky

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017 - 16:24:21 »
my miss:
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe) (Wii Virtual Console) [folder: Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe) (Wii Virtual Console) - size: 384kb]
missing set: Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe) (Wii Virtual Console)
missing rom: Super Mario Bros. 3 (Europe) (Wii Virtual Console).nes [size: 393216] [CRC32: c46969df] [MD5: edaa057f9eac63b8d5c0ac27b8194bd4] [SHA1: 28974b75bd1802b398ce55f73698656e51d0d54d]