Author Topic: fixdats request for MAME and FBA  (Read 649 times)

Offline RooDBwoY

fixdats request for MAME and FBA
« on: December 05, 2016 - 13:48:11 »
Afternoon folks,

If anyone could fill my missing romsets for the attached fixdats that would be amazing. Getting closer and closer to the perfect sets and retro machine but seem to be chasing my tail with finding some of the bits and pieces.

Any help would be grand and of course I'll try and fill some requests myself.

Cheers!

Offline RooDBwoY

Re: fixdats request for MAME and FBA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016 - 14:29:00 »
Apologies, clearly been a long day!

As per move, was intended for Arcade section.

Offline Zimmù

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016 - 18:16:26 »
There are some duplicates in your dats, it could be a good idea to learn from this forum how to merge them. ;)
You can find your missing files here: (link removed)
Good gaming.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016 - 16:23:46 by Zimmù »

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016 - 20:15:28 »
Thanks for that Zimmu, really appreciate it.

I'm pretty familiar with merging the sets and, of course, I've listed 3 different versions of the same MAME set but I've found that just maintaining the latest set is often not good enough if I want to rebuild collections of a lower version (for lr_fbalpha build fba 0.2.97.39 of FBA for RaspberryPi RetroPie, for example). I guess this is because roms get dropped from the collection occasionally as they get upgraded/improved and then I struggle to find a source for the fills, without downloading an entire MAME set, which would be insane.

I'm trying to maintain 3 different complete collections for different MAME-type emulators on different platforms. I have a big bucket of MAME roms, which I've built these 3 collections from, which is most of 0.179 but there are gaps which is hampering me.

Anyhow, cheers for the fixes, I'll get applying them!

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016 - 22:55:23 »
@RooDBwoY

Off topic here, and this may not be news to you,  but there is a ROM manager named [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login that could handle this better than clrmamepro.

It's subtitle is "MULTI-DAT ROM Management Software".  This means it can manage several different MAME versions simultaneously.  Or even other collections as well, such as FBA.

And there is a [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login that would really make creating old versions a snap.

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016 - 01:20:39 »
Jumping the gun, there's also a beta app based on RomVault called RomVaultX that keeps all files in a central location but makes virtual "sets" that you can use. It's neat and I felt like mentioning it here  :P
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016 - 14:18:00 »
Ah I used to use ROMVault (and RomCenter) but although they were great for viewing the roms that were actually ok, I found them not quite as good for compiling full sets, especially when it came to roms that had issues with header information (like NESm etc).

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016 - 15:16:39 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Ah I used to use ROMVault (and RomCenter) but although they were great for viewing the roms that were actually ok, I found them not quite as good for compiling full sets, especially when it came to roms that had issues with header information (like NESm etc).
True, ROMVault doesn't skip headers like clrmamepro does.  But there are only 4 no-intro sets that have that issue.  I use ROMVault for everything else, and clrmamepro for those 4 sets.  There isn't much overlap for no-intro, so a multi-dat ROM manager doesn't shine.  But on Arcade and MAME-related stuff, multi-dat capability really cuts out a lot of the drudgery.

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016 - 18:43:48 »
Yeah, I see your point there. For a while I was using RomCenter for everything I possibly could and then clarmamepro just for the MAME sets but once I'd got a hang of both and found the header issues in RomCenter and that it could be worked around in clrmamepro, that kind of sold it for me. One application for the lot.

The thing that would have sealed the deal for me with RomCenter would have been if it could have one big database with all romsets in, obviously along with something to deal with the header issue. I initially tried v4 but it was a little unreliable on my machine so I dropped back to v3 and it was fine until I stopped using it.

Fair play to all the good debs writing this stuff though!

ROMVault I did look at as well because I think that DOES do a whole big DB with all rom collections, doesn't it?

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016 - 19:17:29 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

ROMVault I did look at as well because I think that DOES do a whole big DB with all rom collections, doesn't it?
Yes, ROMVault does.  As much as you want to put into it.  It gets unwieldy if you put all you can.  What I do is put the all the pinball stuff in one instance, the MAME, FBA, HBMAME, MAME rollback, RAINE, Winkawaks, etc... stuff in another, the no-intro in another, Gruby's SCUMMVM in another,  and tosec in another.  I don't know how well it handles the good/non-good collections, I haven't tried them.

Having separate instances of ROMVault is useful when you have new MAME ROMs to archive, and you don't want to waste time re-scanning the pinball collection.  The checkmarks on the DirTree can be used to isolate the part of the db you are using, but having a huge db makes the startup and db-backup phases take too long.

There is a little overlap between the MAME Software Lists and no-intro, instead of combining them into one bigger db, I make a fixdat on one, then fix it on the other, first "pointing" the output to the first one's ToSort folder.

How long ago did you look at ROMVault?  It's up to v2.2.7 now, and a 2.5.1 beta release is pending.  Looks like some form of .7z support will be in the 2.5 release.  No eta on header skipping yet.

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016 - 21:25:14 »
Interesting. Might look into ROMVault again at some point then.

Cheers.