Author Topic: No-Intro N64 latest DAT hugely different?  (Read 423 times)

Offline RooDBwoY

No-Intro N64 latest DAT hugely different?
« on: December 29, 2016 - 17:22:54 »
Anyone noticed that the latest N64 dat (20161208) is massively different to the previous couple? Can't remember the dates of them but since upgrading to this latest one I went from a complete set to only 7 correct ROMs out of 900-odd.

Rolling back to 20151122 sees a perfect set again. Can there really have been so many issues?

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

Re: No-Intro N64 latest DAT hugely different?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016 - 19:28:59 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Anyone noticed that the latest N64 dat (20161208) is massively different to the previous couple? Can't remember the dates of them but since upgrading to this latest one I went from a complete set to only 7 correct ROMs out of 900-odd.

Rolling back to 20151122 sees a perfect set again. Can there really have been so many issues?
Most people noticed it earlier this month:

All that was done was a default setting on the dat-o-matic was changed.  Those that didn't notice that the default had changed pretty much describe what you say in your post.

This is similar to when the "private" selection was enabled on the Amiga set, causing a number of posts requesting the five hundred or so "missing" ROMs.  Nothing in the databases changed, just the default setting on the .dat file generator. 

If you put the N64 setting back the way it was, you should have a much smaller fixdat.  If you can't tell what the old way is, have the dat-o-matic generate two .dat files, with the settings opposite.  Then go with the one with less changes.  It should be farily obvious.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016 - 19:36:19 by wlkdf90jdfg »

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016 - 20:35:24 »
Ah, nice one.

Weirdly, I'd had that issue with Amiga software and stumbled across the info around that but completely missed the N64 thing. Annoyingly, I usually generate the dat files manually but just scanned through the latest list this time round and downloaded the lot. All others were fine but obviously, the Big Endian option completely passed me by. Clearly, my roms are all in byte-swapped format.

Just regenerated and now I've got pretty much a full set again, so thanks!  :)

Offline Retroplay

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016 - 20:58:29 »
Tool64 didn't work with one N64 rom, Dragon Sword 64 (USA) (Proto), just use [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login to convert it if gives you trouble.

It's great for converting nes roms to MAME/MESS softwarelist format as well. :D

Offline RooDBwoY

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016 - 21:35:02 »
Ah, that's worth bearing in mind. I'd actually downloaded Tool64 for these eventualities as well.

Offline pucci

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017 - 20:34:03 »

Most people noticed it earlier this month:

All that was done was a default setting on the dat-o-matic was changed.  Those that didn't notice that the default had changed pretty much describe what you say in your post.

This is similar to when the "private" selection was enabled on the Amiga set, causing a number of posts requesting the five hundred or so "missing" ROMs.  Nothing in the databases changed, just the default setting on the .dat file generator. 

If you put the N64 setting back the way it was, you should have a much smaller fixdat.  If you can't tell what the old way is, have the dat-o-matic generate two .dat files, with the settings opposite.  Then go with the one with less changes.  It should be farily obvious.

ok, but i need the P/Clone XML dat in byte swapped format (n64) the same as MAME software list roms
i can chose big endian & byte swapped only in standard dat

Offline wlkdf90jdfg

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017 - 23:43:07 »

ok, but i need the P/Clone XML dat in byte swapped format (n64) the same as MAME software list roms
i can chose big endian & byte swapped only in standard dat
My understanding is that they are working on it.  Perhaps if you directly inquired over at the no-intro forums you could obtain a better idea of when it will be implemented for p/Clone.