Author Topic: MAME 0.182 ROMs @ PD 25 01 2017  (Read 3890 times)

Offline bigwang

Re: MAME 0.182 ROMs @ PD 25 01 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017 - 18:54:01 »
Hi. Sorry for a noob question. But what does merged/non-merged/split mean in the context of these ROMs?

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017 - 19:06:35 »
From [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

MAME is extremely versatile about where ROM data is located and is quite intelligent about looking for what it needs. This allows us to do some magic with how we store these ROM sets to save further space.

A non-merged set is one that contains absolutely everything necessary for a given game to run in one ZIP file. This is ordinarily very space-inefficient, but is a good way to go if you want to have very few sets and want everything self-contained and easy to work with. We do not recommend this for most users.

A split set is one where the parent set contains all of the normal data it should, and the clone sets contain only what has changed as compared to the parent set. This saves some space, but isn’t quite as efficient as

A merged set takes the parent set and one or more clone sets and puts them all inside the parent set’s storage. To use the existing Pac-Man example, combining the Puckman, Midway Pac-Man (USA) sets, along with various bootleg versions– and combining it all into ((PUCKMAN.ZIP)), would be making a merged set. A complete merged set with the parent and all clones is the most common format MAME sets are stored in as it saves the most space.

Offline bigwang

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017 - 01:02:57 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
From [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

MAME is extremely versatile about where ROM data is located and is quite intelligent about looking for what it needs. This allows us to do some magic with how we store these ROM sets to save further space.

A non-merged set is one that contains absolutely everything necessary for a given game to run in one ZIP file. This is ordinarily very space-inefficient, but is a good way to go if you want to have very few sets and want everything self-contained and easy to work with. We do not recommend this for most users.

A split set is one where the parent set contains all of the normal data it should, and the clone sets contain only what has changed as compared to the parent set. This saves some space, but isn’t quite as efficient as

A merged set takes the parent set and one or more clone sets and puts them all inside the parent set’s storage. To use the existing Pac-Man example, combining the Puckman, Midway Pac-Man (USA) sets, along with various bootleg versions– and combining it all into ((PUCKMAN.ZIP)), would be making a merged set. A complete merged set with the parent and all clones is the most common format MAME sets are stored in as it saves the most space.

So if my comprehension is correct, then with non-merged set, you could delete any single game you want, and everything else would work. With a split set, you can delete any clones, and the parent one would still work. With merged set, everything will be stored as one file so there's no chance to delete anything?

Offline Zandro

• Global Moderator
  • Bézier Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017 - 01:14:58 »
Correct if your deletion is of the zip/7z files storing the set roms.

Offline B2K24

• Mr. Big Knob
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017 - 01:36:59 »

So if my comprehension is correct, then with non-merged set, you could delete any single game you want, and everything else would work. With a split set, you can delete any clones, and the parent one would still work. With merged set, everything will be stored as one file so there's no chance to delete anything?

You don't download an entire romset just to delete things. There are several ways to manipulate the game listing in many front ends which don't involve altering the rom set contents at all.
HyperSpin has custom XMLs that can be used, GameEX allows you to choose from many different categories that organize the game listing, others allows manual or favorite creation lists with options of either hiding/showing clones.

Suggesting that you can download 120 GB worth of Non-merged just to get some kind of pleasure in deleting stuff is absolutely insane and goes against MAME's idea of preservation. Good luck with fishing through over 30K of archives.

At under 40 GB the (T7Z-Merged) was absolutely the best option for the longest time and for a lot of people (especially those on bandwidth caps or casuals that don't update at every version) but unfortunately they're not willing to offer it anymore.

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline bigwang

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017 - 07:21:50 »

You don't download an entire romset just to delete things. There are several ways to manipulate the game listing in many front ends which don't involve altering the rom set contents at all.
HyperSpin has custom XMLs that can be used, GameEX allows you to choose from many different categories that organize the game listing, others allows manual or favorite creation lists with options of either hiding/showing clones.

Suggesting that you can download 120 GB worth of Non-merged just to get some kind of pleasure in deleting stuff is absolutely insane and goes against MAME's idea of preservation. Good luck with fishing through over 30K of archives.

At under 40 GB the (T7Z-Merged) was absolutely the best option for the longest time and for a lot of people (especially those on bandwidth caps or casuals that don't update at every version) but unfortunately they're not willing to offer it anymore.

I understand it doesn't make sense to download 120GB only to cull it down. Unfortunately for me that might be necessary. I'm trying to do a retropie setup. From what I've searched online, Raspberry Pi doesn't work well with MicroSD card that are 32+GB. I've been downloading the Good Rom sets like GoodNES and deleting the non-proper ROMs (basically ROMs that doesn't have [!]) so that I could have them on the microSD card itself.

My original thinking was that I could do something similar with the 120GB non-merged set by deleting all the clones. As a noob of MAME maybe there's something I'm missing and the non-merged set is not the best way to do this?

Offline B2K24

• Mr. Big Knob
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017 - 07:42:02 »
I don't know anything about retropie accept apparently there's some issues with them going on right at the moment.

If you must use that then perhaps another user could share with you a DAT file for w/e set they use and you would simply rebuild it from a complete merged set. I'd go that route instead of messing with NM.

Best of luck
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login