Author Topic: No-Intro Roms Set  (Read 22821 times)

Offline beano38

Re: No-Intro Roms Set
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017 - 13:55:41 »
Noticed the Atari - Lynx set is not linking correctly

Offline Neo8x

• StartGame by Neo8x
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017 - 14:08:58 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Noticed the Atari - Lynx set is not linking correctly

Problem fix  ;)
No-Intro - Redump - Tosec - Arcade
 -> [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login <-

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017 - 17:01:24 »
Are your nes and famicom sets with headers or no headers only

Hello,
Sorry I have just no header for the moment.

Okay, famicom, nes, lynx and atari 7800 headered sets would be a bice addition to your site if you decide to add them some day
Waiting for the 1 nds, 3 sinclair and tons of amiga no-intro mia roms to be released...
sps software pls release the amigas to the public :8

Also waiting for a pokewalker and pocket pikachu 1 and 2 emulators xD

Zippyshare limit got increased to 500mb its a good place to upload your files guys

Offline Neo8x

• StartGame by Neo8x
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017 - 15:11:28 »
Hello,

Update site :

Added
Nintendo - Game Boy (No-Intro 20170211-023424)
Nintendo - Game Boy Advance (e-Cards) (No-Intro 20170314-230505)
Nintendo - Satellaview (No-Intro 20170228-062640)
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (No-Intro 20170305-081115)
Sinclair - ZX Spectrum +3 (No-Intro 20161210-235900)

Regards

Offline Connie

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017 - 23:33:29 »
Okay, famicom, nes, lynx and atari 7800 headered sets would be a bice addition to your site if you decide to add them some day
I thought you always ask for headerless?

Besides, lynx and atari 7800 and SNES headers are useless. They were added during the tool used for dumping. e.g. SNES super magicom (.smc / .bin)

Famicom/NES use a header because if the emulator hasn't been re-coded/updated to deal with a new cartridge format, then it can't run the dump.
If you want to emulate most new dumps, you need an emu that has been recently updated. Some use a header, some are hard coded and therefore don't need a header. Do you want to be forced into ditching your favourite emu, at the expense of losing the header?

I don't know of any emus that need the header to play Famicom Disk System either. I think most can deduce from the file size how many disk/sides are included.

[THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC CONNIE EDUCATIONAL ROM TRAINING ANNOUNCEMENT]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017 - 23:37:29 by Connie »
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017 - 00:46:52 »
I have the headered sets of those 4 systems i dont need them for myself, there are some people who might want the headered sets.

The nes emus i tried on android cant run headerless roms as for famicom and rest i havent tested yet.

Im not a fan of this whole headers thing its annoying like the encrypted/decrypted ds and 3ds roms why cant we just have a game in one file without any complicated things like gb, gba roms :)

mini rant over  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017 - 00:55:12 by Kostas Gangstar »
Waiting for the 1 nds, 3 sinclair and tons of amiga no-intro mia roms to be released...

Zippyshare limit got increased to 500mb its a good place to upload your files guys

Offline Connie

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017 - 04:00:18 »
Famicom (Family Computer) is just the Japenese version of NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) - Super Famicom is Super-NES

Find the newest build to run on your OS/platform - FCE-xxx is the most cross platform friendly.

You're quite fortunate. No-Intro DS dats download by default in Decrypted format - not standard to a correct Nintendo cartridge ROM. The same can't be said of 3DS, these do default to Encrypted.
So No-Intro does cater for the patched eye, one legged, hooked arm person with his/her flash cart.!

Nintendo are encrypted - and this includes all Wii dumps that are being distributed (re-dumped) in decrypted format !
...just so you know ;)

Offline Kostas Gangstar

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017 - 12:11:30 »
What is the point of encrypted games if they can be decrypted

Offline D34con

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017 - 20:15:24 »
preservation maybe??
...as every other file only serves preservation needs.
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline yeahimdukenukem

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017 - 22:23:24 »
Besides, lynx and atari 7800 and SNES headers are useless. They were added during the tool used for dumping. e.g. SNES super magicom (.smc / .bin)
So you mean apart from NES, no headered ROMs are ever needed? Would be great if I could get rid of those, because the same ROM often has different headers if you look at various download locations.
Famicom/NES use a header because if the emulator hasn't been re-coded/updated to deal with a new cartridge format, then it can't run the dump.
Find the newest build to run on your OS/platform - FCE-xxx is the most cross platform friendly.
So, the current windows version of FCEUX for example does not need any header at all?
BTW: You are doing a great training job here :)

Offline Neo8x

• StartGame by Neo8x
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017 - 23:56:36 »
Hello,

Update site :

Update
Commodore - VIC-20 (No-Intro 20170315-223700)
Funtech - Super Acan (No-Intro 20170315-222905)
Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System (No-Intro 20170318-001230)
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (No-Intro 20170319-050957)
Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis (No-Intro 20170318-044444)
Sega - PICO (No-Intro 20170320-222009)

Regards

Offline Neo8x

• StartGame by Neo8x
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017 - 22:33:50 »
Hello,

Update site :

Added
Commodore - 64 (No-Intro 20151122-035618)
Commodore - 64 (PP) (No-Intro 20131204-081826)
Commodore - 64 (Tapes) (No-Intro 20130730-055353)

Regards

Offline Connie

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017 - 00:41:56 »
What is the point of encrypted games if they can be decrypted
First, lets start with copy protection.

What music/game developer/publisher would want 'their' material being uploaded to the internet for all to download for FREE?
Not many!
What music/game developer/publisher would want 'their' material being downloaded for 'FREE', would also want it playable for FREE?
Even less!

So protection exists for everything that the 'owners' don't want pirates to get their filthy hands on.
Who remembers when the drive key for CD-ROM audio was discovered? Hail to the flood of 128k MP3s via NapsterĀ©!

On the release of new media (I use that term loosely, since everything is Chip/CD/DVD/Blu-ray based - as of time of posting), very, very clever people arise in their bedroom and go about circumventing the possibly new protection, thus allowing the media to be read/dumped. Then, very clever people arise to create tools for the playback of this media - usually pirates in order to make [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

So for the purpose of accurate preservation, all dumped media should be 'stored' in the format of the original media.

Offline Connie

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017 - 00:47:02 »
So, the current windows version of FCEUX for example does not need any header at all?
There are two kinds of header.
One is what is added to the start of the data during the dumping process - so that it can be recognised by the dumping unit later in order to 'play' the dump.
The other is some code used by emulators in order to understand the structure of the cartridge dump, and how to access that data in order to run it.

It all depends on the emulator you use, and it's age as to whether or not you need the header.

Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what emulators will/won't work, other than the 'dumping' header is generally not needed.

The header for NES is needed for most emulators simply because of the file dump and how the original cartridge 'told' the console how to work.
Most NES dumps consist of a PRG dump and CHR dump 'added' together. Part of the header tells the emulator the sizes of these 'parts'.
Then there is the possibility of a save feature, so the type of RAM chip and size needs to be known.
The most problamatic part is the mapper, which determines how the data is read. A new cartridge format with a new mapper, means that the emulator has to be re-coded to support it.
The header also has the option to store whether or not the dump is PAL or NTSC in order to run at the correct 50 or 60 fps based on the frequency of voltage used in Europe versus America/ASIA

If the emulator is coded with all the mappers and how they work, then the header isn't really needed. Compare with M.A.M.E.

Not all NES carts are mapper controlled.
The problem then lies with what value should be used for the mapper in the header. The only answer to this, is the one that works! This is why you will find many CRC variants of the same NES dump.

There are some scripts (python) out there that will re-create the header according to [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login database. However, these are largely outdated and only reference what has been recently dumped/logged - not a match for e.g. the current No-Intro collection.

Pick a few games at random and search for them on bootgods redump site.
You will see all the cartridge information and what mapper (if any) is used.

Just remember that the header is a man made thing, and purely there for emu purposes. It can therefore have many different values that may or may not work.
Take a look at [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login - 1942 (Japan, USA) - which SHOULD HAVE a header 4E45531A020100000000000000000000 hex

Get Nestopia and then File > Edit iNES header... > open the ROM dump
You will see how the values correlate to the cartridge as per the online database. Change one, save, and see what happens when you try to run it.

So generally speaking, if the game runs in your emu, don't worry about the header. The 'Flag' in the header that sets mirroring, is probably the most common byte that will vary from dump to dump.
Most get mirroring wrong.
A horizontal (platformer) scrolling game, should use vertical mirroring - Solder Pad:   H:1 V:0 (Nestopia)
A vertical/multi directional scrolling game, should use horizontal mirroring - Solder Pad:   H:0 V:1 (Nestopia) - the 1942 example.

If you look at all the 00's in the last part of that 16byte header, most of those could have any value, and the emu wouldn't care. Imagine how many different files (for just one game) this could generate!
A lot of Dumpers/hackers used to put their nickname in there! ;)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017 - 00:56:54 by Connie »

Offline Neo8x

• StartGame by Neo8x
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017 - 21:01:31 »

Update site :

Update
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (No-Intro 20170326-012319)