Author Topic: NZB Search Engine Collection  (Read 729 times)

Offline WickedOne

NZB Search Engine Collection
« on: April 28, 2017 - 00:55:01 »
All,

I'm not sure, if everyone coming here does know their way around USEnet that much ... they might just have installed SABnzbd and CouchPotato and are not totally sure what they are actually in for nowadays :)

When I got the emulation virus, it was still the last Millenium and the web was just taking off. People were posting their stuff with clear text subjects and filenames, because USEnet was just a globally mirrored board of text messages ;)
But it has become increasingly difficult to find stuff just by knowing a clear text name, people have to hide their post in cryptic names and encrypt them using passwords, so that anyone unwary cannot easily find content on USEnet anymore, be it legal or gray area. Add to that the fact how much the traffic has increased over the years, how hard the major USEnet providers have worked to have now retention times of 7-8 years and you start realizing that downloading just the header information of each group you like to follow is not an option anymore. So these indexing services came into life, to process the header information, find all articles in a multipart post, and stick them together in a database. And by parsing the Subject line, they are able to produce an NZB file, even if the original poster didn't. As long as you have a proper String to search for.

So what I like to do is keep a short list of the free search engines we know about in an easy to find place. I know you can probably find them all with Google, along with valuable information and ranking, but this is not the point. The point is to have them quickly accessible on the board you all frequent. And I know there are also trackers that are invite only and even payed ones, I might put them here into the appropriate sections.  8)

But since I never felt the need to use those, I'll start up with the ones I usually use. The other reason to put them here are that some of the articles might have fallen out of posted search engine and there are others with longer retention and they all use different USEnet providers or more than one, so if one search engine reports inconplete the other might not and have all the required message ids.

=== Free USEnet/NZB indexers ===

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

=== Invite Only indexers ===

You need tho know someone, who knows someone ... and I don't ;)

=== Payed for Indexers ===

Personally I didn't have the need to use one of those. But you might want to know.

You are all invited to help me fill this list. Maybe we can even put a number on the average retention time of these nzb indexers.
@Terra_Cresta do you think this should be sticky?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017 - 13:34:01 by WickedOne »
The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. (Larry Wall, creator of Perl)

Offline XC-3730C

Re: NZB Search Engine Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017 - 02:00:35 »
Don't forget about nzbclub.com

I still use Usenet (eweka.nl is my provider), since I don't like torrents.

Offline WickedOne

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017 - 13:33:18 »
All,

I'm not sure, if everyone coming here does know their way around USEnet that much ... they might just have installed SABnzbd and CouchPotato and are not totally sure what they are actually in for nowadays :)

Now ... that went wrong ... but the main is updated now. :)
Thanks for reminding me.

And I'm currently giving Eweka a spin, since Astraweb, my provider for 15+ years seems to be deteriorating.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017 - 13:36:32 by WickedOne »
The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. (Larry Wall, creator of Perl)

Offline spons

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017 - 13:54:23 »
I mostly use headers, although for large groups the standard clients don't like that because of the large size of them.

I worked with someone else on an indexer for headers, it was never published here but somewhat complete, it worked fine in most cases. The pro of working like that is that you can index all there is available on usenet - with searching, you only get what you're looking for. You never know what's hidden in these groups, either with mangled/encrypted names or just uploads by random people.

Offline WickedOne

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017 - 03:40:39 »
I mostly use headers, although for large groups the standard clients don't like that because of the large size of them.

I worked with someone else on an indexer for headers, it was never published here but somewhat complete, it worked fine in most cases. The pro of working like that is that you can index all there is available on usenet - with searching, you only get what you're looking for. You never know what's hidden in these groups, either with mangled/encrypted names or just uploads by random people.

Sounds interesting. As far as I understand the NZB format, you can make it independent of the Server you posted it on, since the MessageIDs should be globally unique.  And those free ones I used are all dependent on the feeds they use. If an article makes it to the server they use they are fooked. The better ones use multiple servers, but I guess to be perfect, you have to rely on user interaction anyways :)
And as I see it not one of those makes use of an NZB file that has been posted with the other files. So there is room for improvement.