Author Topic: How to run console games in MAME  (Read 1490 times)

Offline MrGlasspoole

How to run console games in MAME
« on: June 05, 2017 - 22:00:33 »
Hi,

the last MAME version i used was without MESS.
Now they are merged and i can't figure out how to start console games.
I try to run TurboGrafx CD and have som bin/cue files but can't figure it out.

Is there a way to view all the consoles in the MAME menu?

Offline DingDongDell

Re: How to run console games in MAME
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017 - 07:28:02 »
You need to convert your BIN/CUE files to the CHD format, somehow.
I have no idea how they do it.

Partial CHD sets exist for some systems but I wouldn't suggest you redownload game images in just for MAME for two reasons:
- Its emulation is terrible for home consoles, anything else is better. The emulation tends to be good when it's only MAME that can do it
- Better to convert Redump sets to CHD using whatever tool they have. Ask about how to convert BIN/CUE files to CHD and vice versa. If you have any idea how, please tell me back here  :P

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017 - 18:01:39 »
There is stuff where Mame is better: Driven to Maturity
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline B2K24

• Mr. Big Knob
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017 - 21:07:38 »
You need to convert your BIN/CUE files to the CHD format, somehow.
I have no idea how they do it.

Partial CHD sets exist for some systems but I wouldn't suggest you redownload game images in just for MAME for two reasons:
- Its emulation is terrible for home consoles, anything else is better. The emulation tends to be good when it's only MAME that can do it
- Better to convert Redump sets to CHD using whatever tool they have. Ask about how to convert BIN/CUE files to CHD and vice versa. If you have any idea how, please tell me back here  :P

Most of what is said here is absolute hogwash.

It's not necessary to convert to CHD as MAME supports ISO/BIN/CUE. Also, MAME has a File Manager in it's internal UI you can also use to launch images after launching the machine.
OR just do full command-line.

Code:
Only registered users can see contents. Please click here to Register or Login.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Goodman

• I'm kind of a good man.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018 - 05:44:51 »
I had no luck on the test I did while trying to emulate random Atari 2600 roms, the reason was that the roms also need to be roms that MAME can recognize (both name and file size and structure).

To make it work you need the roms on the MAME software list, which is a very large collection with every game for each console.

It's even easier on the GUI, just type the console command (f.e. a2600 for atari 2600) and run it, it will change color (in my system it turns to yellow) then you just need to type the name of the game you are looking for, provided you have downloaded the MAME sofware list roms and you have put them on the correct folder (roms, cartridge, etc.) this last part is not very clear to me yet.

The list of the consoles and their MAME name can be found here:[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Hope that helped although it seems this thread is old.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018 - 00:57:34 by Goodman »
Be good.

Offline darksabre76

• That Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018 - 06:05:21 »
Not necessarily correct. Once you open a machine, you can push <TAB> and bring up the menu for that system. There should be an option called "File Manager". Navigate to the slot, or cd-rom, or whatever the system you want to use has, and then use the built-in browser to navigate to the rom/bin/cue/whatever you want to use. If the system doesn't automatically restart (depends on the system emulated), then use the "Reset" option to take care of that.

The software lists are useful for seeing what games are supposed to work for a given system, but they are by no means what you are locked to.
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login, [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Goodman

• I'm kind of a good man.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018 - 00:56:09 »
Not necessarily correct. Once you open a machine, you can push <TAB> and bring up the menu for that system. There should be an option called "File Manager". Navigate to the slot, or cd-rom, or whatever the system you want to use has, and then use the built-in browser to navigate to the rom/bin/cue/whatever you want to use. If the system doesn't automatically restart (depends on the system emulated), then use the "Reset" option to take care of that.

The software lists are useful for seeing what games are supposed to work for a given system, but they are by no means what you are locked to.

Aha, the TAB -> File Manager -> Select rom did the trick, thank you so much for this advice. Tried it on Atari 7800 and SNES and worked in both.

Now I need to find out the correct way to configure Quick play to use mame to play my atari roms intead of using z26,Altirra and ProSystem.
Be good.