Author Topic: What is the best Provider  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Plastron

What is the best Provider
« on: October 14, 2017 - 09:48:43 »
Hi
I am with UsenetServer and note that Nintendo stuff is mostly not available. What the best news server these days?

Offline StanA4957ZED

Re: What is the best Provider
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017 - 22:00:14 »
How is Usenet Server for you?

When I was with them their usenet was great but their VPN kept crashing I would say 75% of the time and despite them telling me for almost a year that new software was coming it never did.

I just dropped them like I did with GigaNews which I thought was the worst.

Look.
If you even expose your data for a microsecond then it is exposed just as much as 75% of the time so what is the sense of paying someone money when your browsing habits are already exposed to anyone looking.

I hear Tunnel Bear is good for VPN but Usenet you can purchase two years from now and still get what was posted yesterday.
Problem is...2 years ago EVERYTHING emulation was put up on Usenet and today the only thing I can find is mostly just MAME.

The rest is on MEGA with all the good stuff forcing you to buy a pro account or be subject to quota for the day.

Offline XC-3730C

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017 - 22:45:12 »
Eweka.nl is a good server. Fast, secure, good retention, and not hosted in the USA.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017 - 20:20:29 by XC-3730C »

Offline fildacz

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017 - 18:53:06 »
I have pretty good exprience with easynews, retention is OK (something like 3000+ days on the highest level subscriptions I think), I never had any issue with incomplete files. Also what is very convenient is the web interface that allows for searching, par-checking, autounrar and nzb generating.

Offline 65Cobra427SC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017 - 03:45:05 »
I've been with UsenetServer for years and it's not the same now as it was just a year ago. I feel your pain, but I'm not sure what to do either because I get the feeling the problem isn't with them as much as it has to do with the DMCA takedowns that have increased drastically in the past year. I've seen uploads frequently removed within 24 hours of being posted. So are the DCMA takedowns effective across the board, or more so with certain newsgroups than others. If the latter is true, then another newsgroup might help. Otherwise it won't make a difference. I'd be interested in what anyone knows about this area because at times I feel like all I do is download the same rom sets over and over again just to get the latest version.

On another note, I stopped using torrent after my first experience here, simply because that's when I found out my upload speed was significantly slower than my download speed. I felt bad about not meeting my quota but a single days download would require me to upload for a week, something I can't do. Personally, MEGA seems to be a better way to go, but the cost could end up being an issue depending on how much you download.

I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has to say about the above, and assuming I've correctly interpreted and expanded the original posters question, it should help him as well.

Offline Plastron

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017 - 14:59:32 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
How is Usenet Server for you?

When I was with them their usenet was great but their VPN kept crashing I would say 75% of the time and despite them telling me for almost a year that new software was coming it never did.

I just dropped them like I did with GigaNews which I thought was the worst.

Look.
If you even expose your data for a microsecond then it is exposed just as much as 75% of the time so what is the sense of paying someone money when your browsing habits are already exposed to anyone looking.

I hear Tunnel Bear is good for VPN but Usenet you can purchase two years from now and still get what was posted yesterday.
Problem is...2 years ago EVERYTHING emulation was put up on Usenet and today the only thing I can find is mostly just MAME.

The rest is on MEGA with all the good stuff forcing you to buy a pro account or be subject to quota for the day.

Is there anyway to search Mega or a site that index what is on there?

Offline 65Cobra427SC

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017 - 04:46:09 »

Is there anyway to search Mega or a site that index what is on there?
[/quote]

There is [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login which says you can search for files but results were worthless when I tried. I'm guessing it's because most files are encrypted? I did a search for 'sega' and got 47 completely worthless results.

Obviously we can search for 'mega' on this forum. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to have a 'Mega Uploads' section but just a thought. Otherwise I've considered cancelling my subscription to usenetserver but then what?