Author Topic: trurip status? (but really a discussion trurip vs TOSEC - yes again)  (Read 2558 times)

Offline idlord

Re: trurip status? (but really a discussion trurip vs TOSEC - yes again)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018 - 17:54:32 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
comment...
trurip is dead. really.
take what you are looking for. Every man will be served. redump = iso. Tosec = carts. NoIntro = clean dumps
that said, case closed.
eof

Completely agree, trurip is a dead project, this is always the case with any project that tends to stay private and closed. Also the fact they have to borrow/steal other groups dumps to hide the fact they haven't made progress in years doesn't help. Redump will always be an open project and continues to grow with several new dumps being added daily, the same can't be said with trurip.

Offline AnonRunzes2

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018 - 18:21:45 »
i remember contacting ripper006 for about 2 years and 2 months ago on my pleasuredome account. back then i was just new to that tracker and my aim was to torrent the most recent MAME set i could ever find.

anyway, i just sent a PM message to him so i could ask if he was still on with his "trurip" project. i got a immediate reply from that user that basically said "yes i'm still on with this project but i'm currently working on hyperspin right now". at that point i expected him to at least show something related to his project. just so everyone knows he's actually "working on it" and not just claiming shit up about it.

6 months passed and i bugged him again, this time i talked about how these sets are incomplete which he basically replied with "dats are available at website". then i decided to go to the website(database.trurip.org) he talked about and it was basically a dead-looking site. although i can say there was at least something to look at back then(such as the list of the actual games said sets used to contain) compared to now in which nothing but the company lists are there. literally.

as it is right now, there's nothing new happening with trurip right now beyond closed doors. and even if you do manage to get beyond these doors, something indicates that trurip will be absolutely definitely 100% dead in the future.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018 - 18:29:17 by AnonRunzes2 »

Offline NLS

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018 - 12:08:45 »
Concerning CD/DVD images...

I have a partial TOSEC-ISO.
I have a partial trurip set.
See my first post in this thread to see ABOUT what I have (it has changed some, but not much)...
For TOSEC things are simple: I miss completely ZAPiT, Nintendo. I have only firmware and few other images from Philips. I have Sega 32X, NAOMI, NAOMI 2, WonderMega while for the rest of Sega I have firmware plus maybe few extra images.
For trurip, I basically have what I could find in PD (after ripper006 "burst" a year ago - before he was again lost in space), except the largest brands.
I started following trurip exactly because of the (unfulfilled) promise that trurip would be the "mother" collection and even include TOSEC and redump images for things not yet dumped by trurip team.

Since trurip is seemingly dead, until proven otherwise, here is my plan, as I simply don't have space for all three major collections and especially duplicates:

1- I will treat my existing trurip as a TOSEC source in RV. This will basically delete duplicates FROM trurip. So in the end I will only have "non-TOSEC" trurip.

2- I will eventually POSSIBLY move to redump. First I need to evaluate it more. Then possibly kill my TOSEC-ISO for that, or not. Not sure yet. First step would be to repeat the above (RV against trurip), so that I (possibly if there are common ISO) build an initial redump base and left with a "non-TOSEC, non-redump" trurip leftover.

3- Depending if I kill my TOSEC-ISO or not, will do the same as above and grow (possibly) a bit redump by "filtering" TOSEC-ISO in RV for it. It all depends which will be my "primary" ISO collection. Since I am mostly into Amiga and older and not Dreamcast and newer, it is possible that redump is not (yet) "for me".

I think step 1 is a go though, irrelevant if I go on with #2 and #3. What do you guys think?

---
NLS

Online Maddog

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018 - 15:15:52 »
Specifically for Amiga CD, TOSEC ISO is what you need IMHO. Just the coverdiscs dat has 340 images, which is more than the entire current Redump of 328 entries. Not to mention that dats for the Amiga are made by people within the Amiga community/English Amiga Board who are quite likely to know what they are talking about or even to have used the actual discs they are datting.
Situation is similar for CDTV and CD32.

I won't go into the usual debate of who has the longer dick in the world of dumping projects. What I do is collect the games, not the projects. All of them work well in emulators or real hardware, with only very few exceptions. Therefore, none of my TOSECISO, Trurip or Redump collections are complete. Although I am grabbing missings slowly and might eventually go for complete, since HDD space is dead cheap currently. What I do now is that when one project doesn't have any specific image I am looking to emulate, I will grab it from another project or even from any random bin/cue I can find online.

Offline NLS

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018 - 19:14:22 »
Thanks. Helpful post.

I might just stick to step #1 then for now.

---
NLS

Offline NLS

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018 - 09:23:34 »
My (partial) trurip collection was ~210GB.
My (missing the systems mentioned two posts above) TOSEC-ISO was close to a TB.

After following step #1 above (stopped seeding trurip and turned it to "trurip (non-TOSEC)"), I saved around 150GB!!!

Thinking that trurip folders also include metadata (in ripper006's attempt to make a full front-end-ready environment), the 41 remaining GB, seem very few and make you think how much of trurip ripping was indeed trurip original. (of course someone could argue that TOSEC got them from trurip... hmmm - I for one don't plan to check dat dates etc.)
Maybe it just has to do with the systems I have, while for other newer systems trurip was more active.

Anyway, serious space gained. Yeah!

EDIT #433: Checking out ReDump, I find myself I really really like more TOSEC's strict categorization. ReDump might be better and more complete for newer systems especially, but looks more "casual".
I have organized ReDump folders properly and spread the dats inside, I will make an RV check against my remaining TruRip (hoping to thin it even more), but probably will not do it against TOSEC-ISO yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018 - 10:30:58 by NLS »
---
NLS

Offline B2K24

• Mr. Big Knob
It seems PD has announced all TruRip torrents are being deleted from their tracker without any warning or explanation. As usual they're saying next to nothing on the subject and posts will most likely be wiped/deleted if asking any questions about it.

Anyone know what's going on?
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Connie

I'm guessing since .img/.sub was recently added to a lot of TOSEC ISO dats, all existing trurip can be/will be collected/datted via TOSEC ?
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline NLS

I guess this was to be expected, since TruRip in practice is considered next to dead, except when you ask TruRip rippers themselves.
Something that won't change if they don't "open up" and stop acting like crack teams of the 90ies.

That said, PD's reaction we all read, probably comes more by some personal issue between TruRip contacts like Ripper006 (possibly will explain himself) and PD admin team.
Something that indeed would never surface in PD without retaliation (ahem...) and elimination.
In the meantime, we can only guess.

TOSEC ISO got a nice refresh lately (hope this doesn't stop) and ReDump seems very active and hope we see nice full collections in user-friendly places (like here and unlike newsgroups...) and not just missing fills.

Since I was always TOSEC supporter anyway, I have now filtered my TruRip through TOSEC and phased my TruRip into a "TruRip (non-TOSEC)" that will hopefully get smaller in the future.
That said, there are TruRip systems where I got zero TOSEC matches - yet.

---
NLS

Offline D34con

good decision, nice explanation.
seems to be the most reasonable way to do.
good!
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.