Author Topic: Old Dog Looking at New Tricks  (Read 509 times)

Offline SilverFuzz

Old Dog Looking at New Tricks
« on: November 09, 2017 - 18:46:59 »
Hello everyone,
I decided to make a new topic since it seems like nobody has looked at my intro message. I do not mean to cause any issues here, just looking to learn a couple things and hopefully get a complete collection. I have dabbled with roms and emulators in the past, however it has been a long time. Now as I have perused these boards in trying to find answers, I still haven't found what I am looking for. Now if I end up asking a question that someone else has already answered someplace else please just link the thread.

So a appreciate what s4nQy29A has done for this community and has been my source of getting roms. So currently my biggest question that has plagued me is, what is the difference between headered and headerless roms, and does it even really matter?

I will probably have additional questions once this one is figured out and I get further into completing my collection.
Now I want to thank everyone for their time and hope to see some of the information I am looking for.

Offline SilverFuzz

Re: Old Dog Looking at New Tricks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017 - 15:27:31 »
As I have been dealing with a multi file archive, it appears as though a couple of the roms are broken. How do I fix this everything extracts properly? currently using 8 zip lite as it is free software.

Offline disc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017 - 23:48:02 »
Use 7-zip. [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

"does it even really matter?"
seems to depend on the emulator and the console. For SNES it should not matter.

Offline D34con

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017 - 07:13:12 »
This question has been answered before.
headered roms have Ram-mapper for emulators, which probably doesnt know how to handle the pile of bytes.
headerless roms are files which are pure dumps. These dumps are that, what's on the cart / disc
headers are added to use the roms with emulators, since the lesser people of us can reproduce carts (these days), headers switches memorybanks to proper use (maybe)

headered = for use with emulators
headerless = pure, real dump
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline SilverFuzz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017 - 04:16:56 »
I really appreciate that information. Now for my next question that may be a bit harder to answer.

Is there a way to potentially get an accurate translation on some of the roms?
I know that I have a few Japanese games that I would like to play but have no way to read the text.

I am also looking at N64 roms, and noticed that there are 2 versions Big Endian and Byte Swapped; Which one should I be getting and again what is the difference?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017 - 04:29:40 by SilverFuzz »

Offline D34con

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017 - 06:31:44 »
translations:
either do it yourself, or waiting for someone doing this. Another possibility: There is a (US) or (EU) game with different name, e.g. "biohazard (JP)" --> "Resident Evil" (World). Wiki should help out.

The other thing has something to do with how computers calcute, if i'm right... maybe someone can tell this in very easy words...
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline SilverFuzz

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017 - 05:30:42 »
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to sort of take me under their wing and willing to have a more consistent form of contact and willing to be patient with me and answer any/all of my questions as I am having some difficulties trying to understand a few things.

Offline Maddog

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017 - 06:24:05 »
In reply to the previous questions:
Several but not all the Japanese-only games have been translated in the past, especially many of the most famous ones for SNES, Megadrive and NES where there are strong translating communities. Googling for something like "Final Fantasy Zero English Translation" should get you results. If nothing found, most likely it has never been translated. If translated, sometimes you can find the already patched ROM, ready to be used, others you will only find a patch file that you need to apply to the ROM yourself. These come in more or less standard formats like PPF and are not particularly difficult to apply.

Don't bother with Endian-ness of N64 roms. It is mostly important for the old backup units, not current emulators which can handle all formats. Eg DoctorV64 backup unit needed the .v64 format roms which are byteswapped (something like 1032 IIRC), while in the .z64 roms the bytes are in the expected normal sequence 0123 (I think this one is called the Big Endian) and .n64 roms are in reverse order (byte sequence is like 3210 which I think is Little Endian). I prefer to collect the .z64 because they are easier to read by a human in a HexEditor, but this is beyond the scope of most people and .v64 .n64 and .z64 should be equally usable to play the games in your emu.

Offline SilverFuzz

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017 - 22:18:04 »
I guess, how do I figure out if I have a full library of roms? I have been trying to get information but it has been difficult. If anyone is willing to talk and be patient with me while I learn the ropes here; would you please send me a message?

Offline D34con

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017 - 06:50:42 »
dats
No-Intro, ReDump, Trurip delivers "dats" which can be used with rommanagers. Rommanagers reads these dats, compare your files, rename them if necessary and scans for missing files or tell you about unneeded ones...

Offline Maddog

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017 - 09:42:56 »
If anyone is willing to talk and be patient with me while I learn the ropes here; would you please send me a message?

Sorry, guidance IMHO shouldn't be done through PMs. Feel free to ask here anything you like and if I (or other kind souls for that matter...) know the answer and have time, I will respond. If noone responds, it usually means one of the following: noone knows the answer, your question is way too broad and can't be covered in a reasonably short post or people are just too busy to answer it. I feel it is reasonable to wait 4-5 days for a possible answer and if none comes you may bump your question again (in case the post was just overlooked).

One thing to consider (and the main reason I won't tutor anyone through PMs) is that anything posted in PM is useful only for you, while public posts in a forum may help others that might have the same questions and they are even useful in the long term as people can find them through Google. So it's by far a better investment of my time spent typing answers. :)

Offline SilverFuzz

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017 - 16:41:49 »
How do you know if you have the most current version of dats? Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything...

Offline SESRS

« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:09:08 »
DownloadEmAll  will help you keep up to date on the three major groups(Tosec,Redump, and No-intro). Everything else you would have to manually keep up to date through threads in this forum section [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

And here is a link to DownloadEmAll

Hope this helps some

Offline SilverFuzz

« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:24:51 »
Well I did end up getting RomVault and a TOSEC - DAT Pack - Complete.... but when I ran the dat, it seems to have a lot of things that look unnecessary. Makes me feel like I either don't know what I am doing (which is partially true) or that there is more necessary than I originally thought... and not being able to have a conversation with anyone that knows more about this is really frustrating....

Offline Maddog

« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:10:10 »
Well I did end up getting RomVault and a TOSEC - DAT Pack - Complete.... but when I ran the dat, it seems to have a lot of things that look unnecessary.

I recently posted a basic guide to using Romvault with TOSEC dats [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login. I believe it can help you.