Author Topic: What is SCENE? How is it different from Redump/Trurip etc.?  (Read 330 times)

Offline HellfireEternal

• Secret of Mana
What is SCENE? How is it different from Redump/Trurip etc.?
« on: November 30, 2017 - 17:52:34 »
It looks like SCENE covers a lot of different systems but what is the advantage of having the SCENE set of Dreamcast as opposed to the the Redump/Trurip sets?
From what I can tell SCENE also has homebrew games, is that the only difference? Can someone please explain the difference? I have searched google and I couldn't find much information and the website Dreamcast Scene doesn't host files it just seems to be a website with news about the Dreamcast. I'm guessing they are two different things? Thank you!
Secret of Mana

Offline zzzz

Re: What is SCENE? How is it different from Redump/Trurip etc.?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017 - 22:14:26 »
I believe scene refers to "the scene" for example, all the things release groups put out, nfos, messages, their roms (whether good dump or bad), etc. It's like archiving community history.

If you don't care about "the scene" and only care about the games (I don't care to collect bad dumps and group's messages), it's not for you.

Offline NLS

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017 - 00:29:41 »
A joke thread?

---
NLS

Offline HellfireEternal

• Secret of Mana
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017 - 22:28:13 »
No, not a joke. I get that there are different groups that dump carts and discs. So Redump and Trurip are organizations or scenes but if a smaller organization dumps something then they are part of a scene collection and there really isn't any advantage it's just another dump and another collection to collect? Is that basically it?

I've found explanations of Redump, TOSEC, Goodtools, etc. on the web but I haven't found any explanation of Scene (and its hard to search for without getting pictures of bad hair cuts :P) so I was confused. Since I see the term around here a lot I figured someone could help me out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017 - 22:32:58 by HellfireEternal »
Secret of Mana

Offline NLS

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017 - 22:38:30 »
By "scene" we mean the whole thing.
"Nintendo scene" = "everything around Nintendo".
Not necessarily roms or rips.

At least this is how I have come across the term.

---
NLS

Offline idlord

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017 - 22:51:43 »
'Scene' refers to rips/dumps made by groups such as Razor-1911, LaKiTu, PUSSYCAT, FLT, etc. An example, you would see a release titled "Animal_Crossing_Amiibo_Festival_JAP_WiiU-PUSSYCAT", that's what scene refers to. They can either be good dumps or bad, there is no set standard about the quality you are getting from them.

Redump/trurip strives to preserve discs as accurately as possible to the original media, both groups differ in their opinion on how to preserve the discs but when collecting them you know the dumps are going to be the best you can get. No-Intro can also be categorized in this group as they catalogue in their DATs files that are the best available, they can either be good or bad dumps.

TOSEC/Goodsets are different in a way their attempt to catalogue as much as possible in their DATs regardless of the quality of the dump as they are more of an archiving group than a preservation one.

Offline datman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017 - 23:38:49 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline HellfireEternal

• Secret of Mana
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017 - 20:17:05 »
Thank you! That was really helpful information, I get it now.
Secret of Mana