Author Topic: Is there a database of completeness of sets?  (Read 707 times)

Offline coodkidd

Is there a database of completeness of sets?
« on: January 07, 2018 - 18:22:12 »
I know there is much info out there about Redump vs. Trurip vs. TOSEC, etc. and for the most part understand those differences. I am mostly after the Redump and No-Intro model of having one copy of each game (for emulation) and not all the different versions. The thing is, cant just go and grab the Redump release in some situations, example CD-I, because there are many games missing. I am wondering if anyone keeps up a database of archive group vs. each platform and the completeness of the collection? For example, it may say for CD-I that Redump only has 50%, Trurip 70% and TOSEC 95% but for Dreamcast Redump is at 99%, Trurip 90% and TOSEC 80% (totally making those number up btw). Anything like that exist? Or even a list of each platform and the most complete collection (even if speculative)? I'm sure it would be hard to keep up and a lot of work, probably why I haven't found anything like it...

Thanks a bunch!

Online NLS

Re: Is there a database of completeness of sets?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018 - 07:38:37 »
As you can imagine it is a huge amount of work to maintain this.
Everybody would love it, but this would be making the work of the three (major) groups in their place.
I am sure they "know" more or less the completeness of their collections compared to the others, but don't publish it.
Actually the groups willingly or unwillingly, officially or unofficially "share" some of the images too.

And since I replied, I will repeat what I always say: I fully believe cooperation would get things forward faster than (non admited) competition.
We would like ONE set and maybe some subsets (that could easily be separated by tags in filename and/or metadata).
Now I'll get back to my hole as many (esp. group members) don't share my views.

---
NLS

Offline coodkidd

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018 - 20:38:46 »
Thanks NLS for all the info, totally understand. Anyone care to share what releases they use for each platform (from an emulation perspective)?

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
  • No-Intro - all ROM systems, PSP, Vita
  • ReDump - Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo CD, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Amiga (?), Xbox (?), Wii (?), Sega CD (?), NEC (?)
  • Trurip - GameCube, 3DO (I think Redump is the same), Jaguar CD,
  • TOSEC - CD-i, Xbox (?)
  • eXoDOS - DOS
An I know there are many more systems...

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018 - 20:43:26 by coodkidd »

Offline yeahimdukenukem

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018 - 22:22:19 »
For me it's this:
- cartridge consoles: GoodSets, No-Intro
- floppy computer systems: TOSEC
- disc computer systems: TOSEC-ISO
- disc consoles: Redump, TOSEC-ISO, TruRip

Offline Connie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018 - 22:44:33 »
I'd say it's damn near impossible to ever have a 'completeness' dat/list.

We only have web sites - manufacturers, publishers, personal collections to go by.
If a listing of a certain game serial or alternate languages doesn't exist on the net, does it really mean it never existed?

From years of experience of dumping/datting, my personal view is that the best we can assume is that if a certain serial, language or revision isn't currently datted, then it's probably because 'we' haven't found it 'yet' ;(

So I would say that unless you can find an 'ultimate' database of games documented by Nintendo, Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, etc., etc., then you can't make any comparisson and thus a 'completeness of sets'.
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login