Author Topic: TruRip Dreamcast help  (Read 4026 times)

Offline zhadum

Re: TruRip Dreamcast help
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:35:59 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
in fact i'm just getting started.

Go ahead. Ask. Cant wait.

But besides all these discussions etc.

Keep in mind emulation land is like a candy shop.

You like it or you dont. Its a free choice.

So if you dont like trurip and prefer other dump (tools) sources then go ahead - noone is forcing you to dl trurip sets or even other sets.

Basically: if you have questions about the trurip setgs I am happy to answer them for you. Or if you have request might even also be inclined to help out etc.

This is a hobby: meaning keep things civilised please. And yuo wil lget honest answers (wether you like those or not).

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 - 01:40:05 by trurip »

Offline AnonRunzes2

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:38:40 »
Did I say that at all? Read again. Merely asked you from which the no-intro sets are originated from. Or even tosec.
from trurip?

PS. if you see a datcategory MISSING it means we know the dumps are out there (known hashes) except the friendly redump people didnt supply / share them. So there you go about who doesnt share what.
who were those "friendly redump people" by the way?

Offline zhadum

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:42:56 »
Did I say that at all? Read again. Merely asked you from which the no-intro sets are originated from. Or even tosec.
from trurip?

PS. if you see a datcategory MISSING it means we know the dumps are out there (known hashes) except the friendly redump people didnt supply / share them. So there you go about who doesnt share what.
who were those "friendly redump people" by the way?

Firstly see my above last post.

Nope. Again trurip dont dump roms or floppies.

"friendly redump people" are all dumpers there who share hashes but not their contents / dumps. Or do you have all dumped hashes / titles then?

Offline AnonRunzes2

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:47:20 »
"friendly redump people" are all dumpers there who share hashes but not their contents / dumps. Or do you have all dumped hashes / titles then?
i literally don't have anything else

Offline zhadum

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:52:28 »

Redump has a shitload of hashes in their db - esp. on a few popular newer systems (and certainly not on older systems - else I can supply you the stats on it).
Point is, do you have all dumps in their db / do you have all their dumps which are in the dats?

Dont think so , since everyone can add there a hash without even supplying the actual dump.

This was one of the major points in the past where we disagreed upon (besides many other points -like doing separate tracks while we want 1 cd track --> no point in separate tracks really if you have a cue sheet / all information on it, we can even reconstruct our dumps to all the gap methods again to separate tracks if needed / desired)

Offline zhadum

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018 - 01:58:24 »

If so can you can upload all redump systems to the tracker then please.

(speaking about availability lol)

Offline wiggy2k

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:05:52 »
Wow such an aggressive thread

Let’s all just be honest, we’re all more passionate about dumping / collecting than we really
Should be.

I physically collect for the systems I love. - it costs a lot, involves a lot of research and takes up a lot of time. Dumping them is just a by product Of that for me.  Identifying different revisions of discs Is fun.
Some people just collect digitally (which is fine but some respect needs to be shown for the time / effort / money that is put in by the people sharing this stuff)

I’m far too tired to get into this properly but my thoughts in summary:
Hoarded dumps suck.
Variety is the spice of life.its nice to have options
Emulation and preservation are different things.
Ever since sets aimed at hyperspin started showing up people have been filling holes with Roms / ISO’s / whatever from various sources. This isn’t a new thing, and I fully understand the reasons for that especially when as stated they’re only there as a placeholder.

Offline johnsanc

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:07:38 »
To piggyback off of wiggy2k, I'll just share my 2 cents since I heard the news on PD:

After reading the posts above today I completely understand where trurip is coming from.

trurip is a project, just like redump or no-intro. Projects have different goals and change directions over time. As an outsider looking in, trurip seemed to shift focus toward emulation and usability because there was interest in a more usable set as frontends evolved. Different goals for different people. Some people want to archive things that will never be played, others want something they can drop into a frontend and start playing, and others just want a "best known dump" set that might be from a combination of sources. I have a feeling trurip is ultimately focusing on the latter two.

Regarding the source of dumps - does it really matter? I actually really liked the dats that filled the holes with other releases to create a complete set. There is no single group that has everything dumped for every system in a consistent way. Trurip's latest endeavor seemed to be a step to fill that gap and I commend them for that. Its up to their project to rank what they feel is the best, second best, etc for any given game and dedupe them and name them in such a way that works best for the use case they are targeting. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So I suppose my only question would be - is my interpretation of trurips goals accurate?

If so, then there is no reason for debate since the goals of trurip and other dumping groups are now complementary instead of competitive.

That being said, i wish the trurip team the best of luck in whatever they are cooking up next. In fact I would love to see how they are tackling the desires of the "archivist" and "frontend" crowds to hopefully solution something that is the best of both worlds. I hope you guys stick around and keep the people who are interested in the loop.

- Cheers

Offline idlord

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:15:10 »
In an ideal world, I would love to see cooperation between both preservation groups, i.e. sharing of discs which can be dumped in the format of choice. This would save lots of time, money, and resources that can be used to track down undumped games and revisions.

Offline zhadum

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:18:27 »
To piggyback off of wiggy2k, I'll just share my 2 cents since I heard the news on PD:

After reading the posts above today I completely understand where trurip is coming from.

trurip is a project, just like redump or no-intro. Projects have different goals and change directions over time. As an outsider looking in, trurip seemed to shift focus toward emulation and usability because there was interest in a more usable set as frontends evolved. Different goals for different people. Some people want to archive things that will never be played, others want something they can drop into a frontend and start playing, and others just want a "best known dump" set that might be from a combination of sources. I have a feeling trurip is ultimately focusing on the latter two.

Regarding the source of dumps - does it really matter? I actually really liked the dats that filled the holes with other releases to create a complete set. There is no single group that has everything dumped for every system in a consistent way. Trurip's latest endeavor seemed to be a step to fill that gap and I commend them for that. Its up to their project to rank what they feel is the best, second best, etc for any given game and dedupe them and name them in such a way that works best for the use case they are targeting. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So I suppose my only question would be - is my interpretation of trurips goals accurate?

If so, then there is no reason for debate since the goals of trurip and other dumping groups are now complementary instead of competitive.

That being said, i wish the trurip team the best of luck in whatever they are cooking up next. In fact I would love to see how they are tackling the desires of the "archivist" and "frontend" crowds to hopefully solution something that is the best of both worlds. I hope you guys stick around and keep the people who are interested in the loop.

- Cheers

Finally someone is grasping the bigger picture.

Thanks for the clear post. And yes you are right.

And yes: we are cooking up new stuff (together with others --> speaking about working together).

And as for archiving purposes then nothing suits our needs atm, since thats a total different discussion (which can't be done publicly - else send p.m. johnsanc).

Correction: a. archiving / collecting, b. emulation, c. preservation are total different things.

As for combining a. and b. = working on it.

As for c. = working on it also - except cant be spread (legal issues)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 - 02:23:46 by trurip »

Offline AnonRunzes2

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:19:35 »
Dont think so , since everyone can add there a hash without even supplying the actual dump.

This was one of the major points in the past where we disagreed upon (besides many other points -like doing separate tracks while we want 1 cd track --> no point in separate tracks really if you have a cue sheet / all information on it, we can even reconstruct our dumps to all the gap methods again to separate tracks if needed / desired)
lol is that why you guys have started getting competitive onto each other? i guess you guys must have hated each others' guts that much over recent years...

only if pleasuredome allows ps2, xbox360, etcetera then. yes i checked their "safe and banned list" wiki article and these mentioned systems are still there as "blacklisted".
again i have literally nothing to share because i get only what i want to get from some current collectors around here.

i'll take back everything i said about trurip if needed, as i'm starting to slowly understand what's going on now. maybe i couldn't have been a bit cruel back then lol

as for pleasuredome is it safe to say that all fingers can be pointed out to that tracker alone for being indirectly responsible to all the "nonsense answers" some people tend to get?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 - 02:26:49 by AnonRunzes2 »

Offline zhadum

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:29:09 »

lol is that why you guys have started getting competitive onto each other? i guess you guys must have hated each others' guts that much over recent years...

only if pleasuredome allows ps2, xbox360, etcetera then. yes i checked their "safe and banned list" wiki article and these mentioned systems are still there as "blacklisted".
again i have literally nothing to share because i get only what i want to get from some current collectors around here.

i'll take back everything i said about trurip if needed. maybe i couldn't have been a bit cruel back then lol

as for pleasuredome is it safe to say that all fingers can be pointed out to that tracker alone for being indirectly responsible to all the "nonsense answers"?

Lol yes, they do hate my guts. Only see how much attention we are getting on their main website (says enough, great exposure for such a small nonsense dumping group / tool though)
Keep in mind they are using truong his tools etc. to dump.

Imo we started with tosec-iso back then with EAC. They pushed that method 1 step further with doing a d8 read command (truong coded that tool btw).
I wanted to take it a step further and do clonecd style since it would suit more the needs for dealing with copy protections and the likes and even being able to dump subchannels etc
They declined it and wanted separate tracks (prob. eac style and back then our great frioend Dremora was a wav / music / eac lover and prob. still is).
For me doing tracks is like having a discussion about wav or mp3. Its outdated.

Btw since your talking about ps2 and xbox etc.
Ps2 is dumped with imgburn / dvd decrypter --> no mystery there, scene dumps are also done this way. So whose to tell how many scene dumps are being used by certain dump groups ........(we have proven it by 4 different dumps by 4 different people).
As for xbox + 360 this is done with program Xbox Backup Creator and a dongle / drive - also the same way as the scene dumps are being done.
We can now also dump these titles with our own tool and spit out more needed files then XBC does and also being able to patch the image and even back again.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 - 02:36:21 by trurip »

Offline AnonRunzes2

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:32:11 »
damn
and all i wanted was to datamine some games

Offline zhadum

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:40:58 »
In an ideal world, I would love to see cooperation between both preservation groups, i.e. sharing of discs which can be dumped in the format of choice. This would save lots of time, money, and resources that can be used to track down undumped games and revisions.

That probably wont happen ever.

Also we disagreed upon how to deal with this noting / archiving missing dumps etc.

The way they do its hardly possible to track down any missing dumps. (imo they went for quantity instead of quality).

Thats another reason why we didnt work together. Funny thing is thought they were using our db as a reference to track missing titles down (another reason to pull website "down").

Dont get me wrong - what they do is fine, have no problem with it, it seems they are having a problem with us (if they are superior i dont see any reason why though).

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 - 02:45:07 by trurip »

Offline idlord

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018 - 02:46:47 »
That probably wont happen ever.

Also we disagreed upon how to deal with this noting / archiving missing dumps etc.

The way they do its hardly possible to track down any missing dumps. (imo they went for quantity instead of quality).

Thats another reason why we didnt work together. Funny thing is thought they were using our db as a reference to track missing titles down.

That's sad to think about it, I'm currently dumping PC games for the Redump project so I do understand how difficult it is to track the numerous revisions that exists. I still hope that some common ground can be found and just put any hostilites behind, we have common goals towards preservation and more hands working together the better.