Author Topic: Total DOS Collection #14  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Connie

Re: Total DOS Collection #14
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:11:14 »
I don't think people are understanding that the TDC dat is created purely for use with the DOSCenter file manager and NOT ROM managers.

There is a reason the dat uses a date/time entry, it is part of the original file preservation.

You CANNOT make archives match the TDC dat without matching size, crc , date and time.

If you have rebuilt any archives through a ROM manager, or previously used TorrentZip, then please don't share that collection as a 'Real' TDC. Most of the files will be wrong.
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

nombre002

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:24:32 »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018 - 18:56:08 by attractivo »

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:32:29 »
i just now understand this Connie, cmpro finds none and RV might find too many. why such a non universal dat design. I will now consider any TDC files I share as 'non-real' TDC

nombre002

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:41:15 »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018 - 18:56:19 by attractivo »

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:42:59 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
This dat don't work with ClrMame?

Thanx :)

not at all, not that I use it except for mame anymore.

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:44:27 »
clrmamepro does not support doscenter dats. so i am not sure what you are hoping to match there cannonwilow :)

zero is the answer

Offline ToeKnee

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018 - 03:49:12 »
ToeKnee, your argument is very general.

can you give an example of a set where torrentzipping will break its functionality please. i want to further inspect this matter.
and maybe an indepth explanation of why a game does not work after torrentzipping.

so far i dont had any issues with dos games getting torrentzipped.
you know that the whole exodos collection was shared in torrentzips by the original maintainer. thats 300gb of dos games torrentzipped

Not true. On PD eXo explained that you can't torrentzip his stuff or some games will not work. Which ones, I don't know but I trust his answer because he made the whole thing ;)

nombre002

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018 - 04:00:13 »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018 - 18:56:29 by attractivo »

Offline ToeKnee

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018 - 04:17:05 »
funny, then why did he release the whole [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login on archive.org fully torrentzipped? so he is providing 300gb of dos games where it is not sure if they work? i guess not :)

besides of that, the TDC dat itself does list around 40 thousand torrentzip timestamps. so if i have the original timestamps of those files i would need to loose them to match the files within TDC. think about that ;)

It's not all the files in the zip that can be modified. It's certain files that require the timestamp as it is an anti-pirating measure so that if the timestamp is changed, the game won't run at all or run properly. I'm not a pro when it comes to DOS games but you can ask eXo yourself and I'm sure he'll explain better. All I know is he changed things from version 3.0 and above and he got upset at us for torrentzipping the set because certain games can't be torrentzipped (according to him) for them to work and they require the same timestamp on some files.

Offline Nodoyuna

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018 - 09:04:08 »
Now I'm trying DOSCenter...
Can I be sure that if DOSCenter says a file is "perfect" and with score of 100, the file is OK?
I ask beacuse some ZIP files has today's date but DOSCenter recognizes them as perfect
Thanks in advance

Offline yeahimdukenukem

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018 - 21:23:49 »
I ask beacuse some ZIP files has today's date but DOSCenter recognizes them as perfect
It's not the date of the zips, but the timestamps of the files IN the zips that matter. :)

Offline slipnut

• Ur Momma`s Sancho
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018 - 16:26:16 »
Here is RV compatible dat file,that does and will keep the origional zip files as is..but as have been mentioned before you will not be able to share on PD without uncompressing the Date folders..I know this isnt the proper way to do this as connie stated above numerous times the dats on PD arent for rom managers..but if like to keep your collection and dont want to do the change filename in dat to zip_ for example here you go,leech and use at your own collection peril..and no whinning..you`ve been warned.. if you wish to share on torrent site or join in on torrent from other site you again will have to uncompress the date folders to their perspective folders then share..

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018 - 11:51:55 »
actually my whole point of mentioning the fact this torrent isnt torrentzipped has nothing to do with claiming it should be, just that the readme file is incorrect....

+ Updatable Sets                    + Member Stats
+ Ratio Driven                      + Verified Sets
+ TorrentZipped for consistency     + Helpful Forum