Author Topic: Getting confused about files timestamps  (Read 889 times)

Offline Nodoyuna

Getting confused about files timestamps
« on: March 02, 2018 - 08:33:39 »
Hi there
I've started to check my DOS files against the Total DOS Collection dat, and I'm getting confused about all the date and time stamps for DOS files
I'm using ROMVault, but even disabling the option of torrentizp the files, it keeps modifying the files timestamps
As far as I know, there are DOS games that NEEDS the correct date and time to run
So, I have some questions:

1) What's the best method, if there's one, of preserve this info with ROMVault
2) Is there any other rommanager that preserve it?
3) Are there other collections that also needs the correct files date and time info? (I'm thinking about the Scene releases sets, but I'm not really sure)

Also, I understand that rom images, disk images and cd images does not need this info preserved, as the files inside them should have the correct date and time. Is this right?

Thanks in advance

Zandro

Re: Getting confused about files timestamps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018 - 20:58:55 »
clrmamepro has an option to preserve Date/Time in the Settings pane, but just use the tool that was built specifically for the job: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018 - 02:05:08 »
apparently we need a tool that can restore date/time stamps from a database that can be updated.  flexible user defined  hash values compared to the database. after the fact correction ability. scanning options should allow checking anything possible within the dat it is based on (even the hash of the dat itself). options should even include ability to manually define the date/time stamp of any rom. there may be many different stamps used for the same hash value for any given rom depending on the game and dat it is based upon. bunch of stamps pop up after scanning with selected options, that can then be narrowed down by user. like the way you search for a car part on line....

of course if the dat is known, the roms could be batch stamp corrected. obviously only 1 at a time rom stamp selection would be unbearable.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018 - 02:14:03 by cannonwillow »

Offline uglyman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018 - 02:26:43 »
The next version of romvault is supposed to support timestamps

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline Connie

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018 - 03:18:04 »
@cannonwillow

I can't speak for other OS users, but all Windows file properties will show you:
Created
Modified
Accessed

It is only Modified that is important here.
As zandro states, clrmamepro has supported the 'date' flag for a long time.
People have used it to report the release date, or the dump date.
...As an extra, there is also a 'serial' flag which No-Intro have been using to add cartridge serials.

So, with a date tag entry added to the dat, you can happily use clrmamepro to fix an archive's stored files to match those of the dat. - If you then TorrentZip though, you need to hit yourself repeatedly!

Hargle (TDC creeator) went to the trouble of creating DOSCenter (and many other useful tools - DatScan and DOSOrganizer) for US (uz) to use with the TDC dat.
While TorrentZip is a NoNo in order to help torrent sharing, there is no reason a dat with date(time) support can't be created.
However, rebuilding with the dat would get you nowhere for future updates when it came to joining an updated torrent, because you have no compression standard on your zip files.
So...
Yes, you could rebuild the collection to match Hargles collection in terms of correct files with date/time stamp per archive...
But...
You couldn't join a Hargle torrent to update your collection with!

I'm happy to help with any more questions relating to the 'date' tag that Roman added, but can we drop trying to rebuild a TDC collection with anything other than Hargles dat and DOSCenter!! ? :)
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018 - 03:45:28 »
@cannonwillow

I can't speak for other OS users, but all Windows file properties will show you:
Created
Modified
Accessed

It is only Modified that is important here.
As zandro states, clrmamepro has supported the 'date' flag for a long time.
People have used it to report the release date, or the dump date.
...As an extra, there is also a 'serial' flag which No-Intro have been using to add cartridge serials.

So, with a date tag entry added to the dat, you can happily use clrmamepro to fix an archive's stored files to match those of the dat. - If you then TorrentZip though, you need to hit yourself repeatedly!

Hargle (TDC creeator) went to the trouble of creating DOSCenter (and many other useful tools - DatScan and DOSOrganizer) for US (uz) to use with the TDC dat.
While TorrentZip is a NoNo in order to help torrent sharing, there is no reason a dat with date(time) support can't be created.
However, rebuilding with the dat would get you nowhere for future updates when it came to joining an updated torrent, because you have no compression standard on your zip files.
So...
Yes, you could rebuild the collection to match Hargles collection in terms of correct files with date/time stamp per archive...
But...
You couldn't join a Hargle torrent to update your collection with!

I'm happy to help with any more questions relating to the 'date' tag that Roman added, but can we drop trying to rebuild a TDC collection with anything other than Hargles dat and DOSCenter!! ? :)

so basically talking about read only memory. notched floppy if old school style. original media must be used always by software design (normally load process), must have been the plan. the check on date/time stamp validity has to be on a very small number of files though. but it will really suck if another check is done 3/4 of the way through a 100 hour long rpg game that is non-spoonfeed with red arrows, logs, and maps (graph paper and notebook). I derail a bit. later.......

Offline Connie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018 - 03:50:57 »
I haven't argued that date/time stamps are needed to make the game work - that is someone elses point.

I have argued that if date/time of the original archive's contents was logged, then we should preserve it.

I'm a No-Intro collaborator, preservation is key, NOT filling collections for ROM manager dat files.

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018 - 04:07:49 »
most games require 100's if not many thousands of tiny files. preserving 99% of them and missing just 1 little file is still better than not. and if you have 99% of what you are preserving on 1 hard drive and 1% on another, it still adds up to 100%. why couldn't a date/time stamp, tiny tiny portion of info, be stored elsewhere nearby. like pulling vin tag off dash board of car and keeping it in your wallet instead. not right but reattachable ;D

Offline uglyman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018 - 05:00:14 »
This may or may not be of any use, but there's a little commandline app i use with my own batch scripts to backup timestamps of particular directories

It does not support archive internal contents though. Maybe you can contact the developer and ask for archive support

Offline attractivo

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018 - 08:39:46 »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018 - 18:57:04 by attractivo »

Offline Nodoyuna

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018 - 08:59:18 »
Hi, thanks for all the anwers, it's really great to read the opinions of the "people who know" ... :)
I've been a little obssesive in the latest years about "not lose anything" about a collection, and this issue about timestamps falls in that obssesion
So, I'd like to preserve all the stuff, that's the reason of using DAT's really... If not, I just download the games and not check them, but I've learn over the years that to have a properly done "version" of a game is better to have a "version" that can be badly done
So, I've always used ROMCenter, until I switched to ROMVault, as it's really easy to use and I've never unsderstood how CLRMAME Pro works
I've also tried to use DOSCenter for TDC, but somehow it does not recognize the files

in any case, for those who are worried about loosing the timestamps through romvault, they are not lost for good.
sabretools has also a build feature, which is capable of adding the timestamp-value from a dat, back to a file.
the -ad flag does the job.

So, can I check and build the collection with ROMVault and then use sabretools for restore timestamps?
Can you tell me the complete command for that? (I've never used sabretools before)
Thanks in advance

And keep posting, I'm learning a lot (and I like to always learn things) :D

Offline attractivo

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018 - 09:22:40 »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018 - 18:57:14 by attractivo »

Offline Connie

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018 - 09:46:26 »
/Connie is hit by a Trout
/Connie facepalms

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018 - 09:55:53 »
/Connie is hit by a Trout
/Connie facepalms

dont use the fishing lure, the empty plastic 6 pack thingy gives up the goods :-*

it is pitch black.

you have no lantern...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018 - 10:01:00 by cannonwillow »

Offline Connie

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018 - 10:07:37 »
I like it :)

Dunno if it was old school IRC though? ?

Spectrum, yeah!