Author Topic: qBittorrent for Dummies  (Read 332 times)

Offline Mordor

• Global Moderator
  • King Ding-a-Ling
qBittorrent for Dummies
« on: March 15, 2018 - 05:17:49 »
Looking for a guide if anyone can forward me one or point me in the right direction.

In a nutshell... I'm a member of quite a few trackers and I've used uTorrent v2.2.1 for years and am quite satisfied with it, so much so that I have dabbled with updated uTorrent versions but always found myself going back to v2.2.1. But with all the previous crap over the years and now with the recent JSON RPC vulnerability discovered in older versions of uTorrent, some of the trackers I am a member of are outright banning uTorrent in general and are moving to alternative clients. So far it looks like v2.2.1 is unaffected by it, but alas it is also being banned for precautionary sake at one site... which totally sucks for me.

So... I've just downloaded qBittorrent v4.0.4 for Windows and have set it up just like I have setup uTorrent in the past on all my machines over the years and through different Windows OS's. Everything seems to be working just fine, except I've noticed that setting download and upload speed limits seem to have issues. For one, I've set the global download limit to 200kbs and it's downloading at 1mb... I've set the global upload as well to 200kbs and it does NOTHING even though I see there are peers I can seed to. Just for the fuck of it, I re-download the torrent file and fire it up in uTorrent (without even going into my router and setting my forwarded port back to uTorrent from qBittorent) and uTorrent finds the peer just fine and begins seeding appropriately where qBittorent shows me a Black upload arrow (even though their status bar indicates it should be BLUE for uploading).

Well... Google is NOT my friend on this one. I've searched and read that others have the same problem with qBittorrent and most if not all of their answers are either UNANSWERED or if they are, the help given is worthless. I've checked and unchecked every option a few times and started, restarted and re-restarted the client with different settings each time that I'm just plain tired of messing around with it for the night.

I have NO problem going back to uTorrent, but eventually through word of mouth and fear of hacking attempts... I'm sure ALL of their clients will eventually be banned at some point or another by every tracker i'm a member of so I may as well get used to another client. I like the look of qBittorrent alot, in fact it reminds me of earlier uTorrent clients... but damn if I can't get this working like my trusty uTorrent v.2.2.1   

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mords

True.dat

Offline contezero

Re: qBittorrent for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018 - 10:21:01 »
I also came from utorrent to qbittorrent and I always had some random issues. Checking what were using other peers to connect to me I saw that many were still using qbittorrent 3.3.10 and not the last version so I am also doing that and it works much better.

Offline Maddog

Re: qBittorrent for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018 - 18:01:13 »
I agree, 4.0.3 gave me many problems I never had before and I didn't even bother going to 4.0.4 as I still see poor feedback from people about this update. Seems like 3.3.16 was actually better than any of the 4.x versions.