Author Topic: GliDOS  (Read 531 times)

Offline RS_Saga

GliDOS
« on: April 27, 2018 - 02:53:46 »
To those who don't know, back in the 90s, when 3D acceleration became a thing, some graphic card companies came up with proprietary ways to make games look their best. One company was 3DFX and their line of Voodoo cards which made games look amazing. Sadly, due to the proprietary nature of the technology, modern cards can't run games in Glide mode natively.

Two emulators were released to resolve this problem, one called nGlide - which is free, but only works on Windows XP and later (32-bit) - the other called GliDOS which claims to be compatible with any Windows OS, starting with 95. Unfortunately, this GliDOS has a very annoying spinning logo that can only be removed if you send $10 to the creator. This is unfortunate because if one wants to run these games on Windows 95 or 98, you either have to pay for GliDOS or buy a used 3DFX card (which are usually even more expensive).

My question is, does anyone know where to get a full "unlocked" version of GliDOS for free? Or do you know of some other emulator that works under 16-bit Windows 95?

Thank in advance  :)

Offline StanA4957ZED

Re: GliDOS
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018 - 16:34:23 »
No one like responses without answers or why do you want to...

Just to contribute...

Download Virtual Box or a similar emulator and create the environment.
You should have better compatibility instead of constantly trying to tweak a 30 year old game to work on modern machines.

I add my 2 cents because I never herd of GliDos until you mentioned it and obscure programs like this don't usually get the same attention which means no one shares anything.  And if they do it's usually an out of date version.

Emulation is just too easy these days to fiddle around trying to get ancient stuff to work.

Offline RS_Saga

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018 - 10:39:40 »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Virtual Box doesn't really solve the problem. Virtual Box will just run the game in normal mode, not Glide mode. You NEED a Glide emulator to make the game run in that mode even on Virtual Box.

Having said that, I've made some progress myself. It seems that versions up to 1.7 of GliDOS were completely freeware, and one can still download them from several places, they just aren't compatible with some modern hardware (ironic, considering you just said fiddling with old hardware wasn't a good idea  ;D )

Newer versions of GliDOS have many fixes but, as I said before, they are now behind a pay wall. There are ways to bypass the "annoying logo" on newer versions - at least up to version 1.35 - but the most recent version is 1.53 and I haven't found any way to make it work properly (yet).

I found several Glide emulators on the net, but most are old and not nearly as developed as GliDOS.

With one exception... "[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login".

It's a relatively recent effort to emulate GliDOS under modern OSes and they have a partnership with GOG.com, so it's likely they are working on making every game work at their best, including the really old ones.

It doesn't change the purpose of creating this thread, though... if someone has the skill to make GliDOS 1.53 available to all of us, or if you know of someone who can help in that regard, please share  :)

Thank you.

PS: I find it a bit strange that you would call GliDOS "obscure". Anyone who ever tried to run the original Tomb Raider (or any PC game from the late 90s, for that matter) with best settings, and didn't have a 3DFX graphics card, was desperate to get their hands on a Glide emulator. There was even a big lawsuit against Creative Labs when they officially released a set of drivers that allowed Glide to run on nVidia cards... I guess people just forgot about it  :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018 - 10:44:15 by RS_Saga »

Offline StanA4957ZED

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018 - 05:13:39 »
Just my curiosity because it's been a while since I used virtual box.

They still haven't emulated direct x or 3D or is it just glide?

I used get nothing but 3DFX cards back in the day because I hated Stealth.
I had to buy them on the German economy because the PX only sold Diamond Stealth in the power zone..

That said, PC EM?  86 Box?

I know they actually emulate hardware which you can pick and chose the bios.
Then again, no clue if any of them are 3DFX and even IF...Can you find the setup disk with the drivers.

Windows 10 has me spoiled and although I have some good memory's setting all that crap up I shutter to think of ever doing it again.

Offline StanA4957ZED

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018 - 05:22:33 »
Update... I just ran PCEM and 86 Box to check.
PCEm 14 has Diamond Stealth emulation which I believe used glide drivers.  Been a loooong time and my mind is fried from too many doritos.

86 box I don't recognize anything that uses glide and this is with no real research.

SPCAT and SPCXT don't have anything that I can tell.

That's as much as I have other than setting up a major brand like Virtual Box, Dosbox or VMWare

Good luck with everything.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018 - 05:25:29 by StanA4957ZED »

Offline Thx738

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018 - 09:25:34 »
Hi,

This one looks promising indeed

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

I tested hitman and splinter cell, very easy to use and works fine, with neat visible improvements

Edit:

I tested further using a few old games from steam (like Tomb raider 1): the 3DFX logo appears, and game is obviously running with 3D acceleration (though unable to know if using software emulation or hardware for that). They use dosbox SVN, and there are settings in that dosbox for glide on/off, and further graphic properties, it has indeed glide native emulation. FPS capped at 30, no issues.

Then i found that specific dosbox fork, dosbox-X, with further glide options, or wrapping to direct3D or opengl (so obvioulsly hardware 3D acceleration). Tested again the same games, and graphics seemed niced (probably the possible tweaks), and more "responsive", i mean there seemed to be more immediate screen response to commands (possibly also the tweaks, as dosbox-x allows emulation up to pentium-MMX).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018 - 17:47:51 by Thx738 »