Author Topic: NonGoodPSID and NonGoodSPC Questions  (Read 330 times)

Offline CQLQA1

NonGoodPSID and NonGoodSPC Questions
« on: May 17, 2018 - 12:51:38 »
I use Romvault for my organization.

I found the link in a separate thread for the person that had complete dumps.  I am green for almost all my NonGood, but I noticed I am not finding all of the ROMs for PSID and SPC.  Further investigation showed that they were the only files in dat format and not xml like the rest.  I downloaded the dats from Yoshi's drive and they are the most current versions.

My questions are:
Is there a way to install these dat with the header file in RomVault?  when I copy over the header Romvault throws an error on scan.

or

Did PSID and SPC have some changes in their files and the "collection" i found is out of sync and I need to find alternates?

Attached are my miss dats.

CQL
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018 - 18:10:16 by CQLQA1 »

Offline CQLQA1

Re: NonGoodPSID and NonGoodSPC Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018 - 18:00:36 »
I posted my fill request in another thread...but I am still curious why PSID and SPC have header dats with the main dat files.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018 - 18:09:52 by CQLQA1 »

Offline wiggy2k

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018 - 21:15:28 »
RomVault does not support any form of Header skipping for the scanning engine: (its often lamented and probably the most requested feature)

basically the dat contains the hash values (CRC32, MD5sum and SHA1 presumably) for just the ROM data, and not the entire file including the header.

|--------------full headered file ------------!
|-header-|------------ROM DATA-----------|

if you want to rebuild using RomVault you are best off getting someone who has the full collection matched in another Rom management utility (CLRMame or similar) to create you a DIR2DAT of the whole verified collection - or strip the headers from the files - but in a lot of cases this will reduce their usability with players / emulators.

The same is trus for a few other DATs from No-Intro for example (Lynx, NES etc)

The header files with the DATs you mentioned are actually just a file which tells the scanning utility (but as mentioned not RomVault)  how many bytes to skip at the start of the file when calculating a files checksums when trying to match the binary file to an entry in the main DAT file.  hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018 - 21:19:42 by wiggy2k »

Offline CQLQA1

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018 - 23:10:14 »
That answers a lot.  Thank you.

Maybe it is time I moved back to CLRMamePro.  I was under the assumption both tools could handle things.

CQLQA1