Author Topic: Best way to store Nintendo Wii ISOs?  (Read 253 times)

Offline UnluckyForSome

Best way to store Nintendo Wii ISOs?
« on: June 08, 2018 - 09:41:38 »
So I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options! There seems to be a

.ISO (uncompressed, all games around 4GB because the free space is used up to fill up the disk)

.ISO.DEC (a newer (?) compression method which gets rid of the empty data whilst still maintaining the ISO format using a tool called nNASOS)

.WBFS (the OG scrubbed format which no longer has any empty data)

And then there's the question of compressing any of these further into either a .zip or .7z.

Ideally I want to just play my backups on RetroArch dolphin, AND audit my collection with a redump .dat and clrmamepro, but I have a LOT - so can anybody recommend me what they have/use?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018 - 09:45:56 by UnluckyForSome »

Offline NikNak

Re: Best way to store Nintendo Wii ISOs?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018 - 10:00:06 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
audit my collection with a redump .dat and clrmamepro

You can't have both. Extracting the disc (WBFS) or decrypting it (ISO.DEC) will remove the ability to check these files with the ReDump dat. While WBFS will destroy the image for that, nNASOS can encrypt the the file back to the original form (ISO). But you have to do it manually. I think there is a nNASOS dat for decrypted files somewhere if you want to use this.

Another point is that Dolphin can't read ISO.DEC files. And since you are supposed to store the ISO.DEC files inside a zip/7z file it is just another layer of incompatibility.

So in short:
If you want to start all your games right away without any encrypting and uncompressing part before it stick with the ISO files.

If you think it is no problem that you have to extract and encrypt the files before you can play them use nNASOS.

Again, WBFS will destroy the image. You will not get it back after that. So don't use that at all.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018 - 10:02:40 by NikNak »

Offline UnluckyForSome

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018 - 10:20:19 »
Thanks for the advice! Looks like my original source for these ISOs was already in .WBFS, so i'm pretty screwed :-(

Offline UnluckyForSome

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018 - 10:28:52 »
audit my collection with a redump .dat and clrmamepro

You can't have both. Extracting the disc (WBFS) or decrypting it (ISO.DEC) will remove the ability to check these files with the ReDump dat. While WBFS will destroy the image for that, nNASOS can encrypt the the file back to the original form (ISO). But you have to do it manually. I think there is a nNASOS dat for decrypted files somewhere if you want to use this.

Another point is that Dolphin can't read ISO.DEC files. And since you are supposed to store the ISO.DEC files inside a zip/7z file it is just another layer of incompatibility.

So in short:
If you want to start all your games right away without any encrypting and uncompressing part before it stick with the ISO files.

If you think it is no problem that you have to extract and encrypt the files before you can play them use nNASOS.

Again, WBFS will destroy the image. You will not get it back after that. So don't use that at all.

Hi again,

I've seen some people online claiming that the "Ultimate Unscrubber" utility can restore a .wbfs game to it's original 1:1 copy - is this not true?

Offline NikNak

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018 - 12:05:00 »
I've seen some people online claiming that the "Ultimate Unscrubber" utility can restore a .wbfs game to it's original 1:1 copy - is this not true?

I did not know this tool, but according to its description it depends on how complete your wbfs is and some games are not "unscrubbable". So just try it.