Author Topic: For those of you who says Usenet is a lost cause...  (Read 763 times)

Offline NLS

Re: For those of you who says Usenet is a lost cause...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018 - 08:45:13 »
I actually feel sorry now. :(
I don't think you will find it. (and not just because of usenet)
I've looked deep and hard myself.

Good luck. I will then plead guilty for misjudgment of a perfectly fine software "recovery" method.

---
NLS

Offline StanA4957ZED

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018 - 01:38:07 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
I actually feel sorry now. :(
I don't think you will find it. (and not just because of usenet)
I've looked deep and hard myself.

Good luck. I will then plead guilty for misjudgment of a perfectly fine software "recovery" method.

Deep and Hard....Giggity....

I am not sure I will find it, at least not in the past Usenet.

4.1 may not have even been released back then.

It may be on some obscure package like gamebase or Amiga Forever if it were even released at all.

The less people that buy it are less inclined to release it.

Just look at how long after the Amiga died that WhdLoad became key free.

Offline NLS

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018 - 14:42:42 »
Definitely not in Gamebase Amiga, not in Amiga Forever, not in WHDLoad.
I have all these complete.
The bootrom I am looking is not a game, it is the dump of a chip in Macrosystem DraCo Casablanca - a graphic system based on Amiga but didn't have the custom chips of Amiga.

Don't bother too much.

---
NLS

Offline StanA4957ZED

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018 - 13:01:53 »
And that was an actual release by someone or just a .Dat filler like they have for custom releases that are thrown on datomatic but never released to the public for some reason.

When I think 4.1 I was thinking WB 4.1 that they may have had an actual rom of 4.1 and not just a disk version like came out on the A3000

Offline NLS

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018 - 14:17:59 »
4.1 was not for real Amiga.

Anyway, as for my request, yes probably it is something datted but people keep it for themselves.

---
NLS

Offline FalconJones

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018 - 19:04:03 »
In reply to topic, Usenet in the context of emulators, is superior to torrent and "cloud"... but it _could_ cost.

online storage != cloud. Cloud computing is just a coined term popularized through marketing. It is not strictly a new concept nor is it actually anything new period. Simply, costs have finally dropped low enough to make remote clusters feasible with the global growing bandwidth.

20 years old: For the context of emulators (online storage), one of the first was: [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login in 1999. I'm sure some of you remember PSX/DC being hosted there. Yahoo had online storage 1 year prior. I-drive though was very popular and buzzing. Here is a popular article from August 15, 1999:  "Internet firms put your office on the web" ([You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login)

17 years old: Torrents are p2p with the *hope* of decentralization. The hope is directly correlated to the word "seeders". With torrents, hope dwindles and as we all know, flat out dies.

38 years old: Usenet, when compared to torrents or online storage, can be the worse option. DCMA, corrupt links, mismatched parts, etc... However, when done right, a _PAID_ Usenet connection is basically a prereq. for constant service.

But, there is a often overlooked exception of Usenet. What you upload today might remain their for 10 years, even WITHOUT a paid connection.

Want to back up 32TB of raw photos? Pay for just 1 month of Usenet (or a free trial even), upload them encrypted and forget about them and Usenet all together. If you need them back in 5 years, pay for 1 month (or another free trial) and download them. Can you put such confidence in torrent or online storage?

Online storage is sort of a joke right now as it's being sold for something it just isn't. Torrents are another beast. I guess if you can go private (essentially encrypted), you could beat even usenet. But if your "ring" fails due to technicalities or has to shutdown due to illegal activity (and you know torrent rings are all about that to an extreme level), what do you do?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018 - 19:11:59 by FalconJones »