Author Topic: Moderators wanted  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
Moderators wanted
« on: October 26, 2011 - 17:37:16 »
Anyone up for being a global mod? Zandro is the only one at the moment. I guess we need more. I also suspect we need to boost this site's popularity as well. I guess it's a supply and demand thing but it's impossible to offer content here which isn't already freely available at PD, UG or BitGamer.

How can we improve this sites membership? What unique selling point can we offer poeple? Why should they come to ROM Shepherd?

Any ideas, suggestions, anything.... pop it in this thread :)

Online zxyo

Re: Moderators wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011 - 18:18:50 »
they should all come because you have me :-p and your tracker is ratioless - a good draw if you ask me
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011 - 18:20:40 by zxyo »

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011 - 18:21:00 »
Well if you're desparate for a mod, I'm up for it.

Unique selling point, is, I suppose, that there's no techs/systems barred.  Old and new.  And I know you won't like this, but there's no cockends here, unlike at PD. Post a question in the forum, and be pointed to a FAQ or other thread in a condicending manner and made to look like a tit etc.  Or allowing of some torrents like the FME ones, which break all the rules they set themselves.  Tried telling them that once, "Did you know some roms in the FME stuff are literally hours or days old, and are owned by Sega (Barcrest)?".  No reply.  But post an mpeg of a 30 year old laser game, and ooo, it's a shitstorm.

You get the idea.

Damm, think I've just ruled myself out of the running. :)

NQ.
A rom is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline JacKc

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011 - 18:37:51 »
Why not as i was modo in Romshare so maybe i could help here a bit?

Offline sdragon

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011 - 04:13:57 »
need mod to...ban somenone?:)

Offline f205v

• EMMA Italian Dumping Team
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011 - 08:11:59 »
My 2 cents: too many forums and sub forums, they are confusing for noobs.

Offline gremlin1968

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011 - 21:30:27 »

Got to be one of the most welcoming boards out there.

Thanks to all

Offline JacKc

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011 - 19:12:14 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
I second that...As example i'm a little bit confused when i want to submit a new datafile. Do i need to post it on What's New/New datafiles Sub-forum or in The Datafile download Center in the right sub-forum?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011 - 19:14:16 by JacKc »

Offline Connie

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011 - 22:49:11 »
If datters are up for it, the site could be hugely popular if fills are made and posted here first when the new dats are announced. Then you just need to spread the word to for example, ppxclub, torrents.ru and you'll have 'global' interest for all the dats and their file content. Asians don't seem to collect pinball and fruities like us westerners do.

We need to get 'everybody' collecting 'everything' ;)
"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King)

My DAT Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Shared Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My Torrent Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
My GOG.com Files - [You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011 - 09:54:12 »
If datters are up for it, the site could be hugely popular if fills are made and posted here first when the new dats are announced. Then you just need to spread the word to for example, ppxclub, torrents.ru and you'll have 'global' interest for all the dats and their file content. Asians don't seem to collect pinball and fruities like us westerners do.

We need to get 'everybody' collecting 'everything' ;)

I get some fills direct from dat creators, which I make available to all, however, we need more dat creators to spread their fills also.  There are already several dats I'm sure we all collect, and already they are "PIX fiascos" happening.  It would be really useful if when, for example, Yoshi posts a new dat, he also posts the fills, or tells us where to get them from.  WE've got ZAndro working his bits off looking for Unrenamed stuff, when Yoshi could just post them surely?  I'd quite like to hear it from the dat creators point of view, let us know your thoughts, maybe we could help you, so it's a two-way thing?

This is not a dig at him, I know we often have bandwidth issues, and real life stuff, but a quick post to say "I'll post all these in a few days" would be really helpful.

As for spreading the word, we're all "hardcore" rom collectors, and are members at UG, RR, PD, PPX, RU tracker etc., I'm not too sure what we'd gain from expanding by attracting more members.  I don't think we'd get more fills posted to be honest, but, we would get more posts, and more to read each day, which would be nice.

I'd also like to see more "newbies" posting, or people asking questions, then we can help them answering their queries, and not poting them to FAQs like so many other sites do.  Call it the personal touch. :)

NQ.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011 - 10:03:27 by niallquinn »

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011 - 10:52:26 »
I second that...As example i'm a little bit confused when i want to submit a new datafile. Do i need to post it on What's New/New datafiles Sub-forum or in The Datafile download Center in the right sub-forum?
I think you're right, when I first set up the site I never really intended for other people to post dats here - just me! "Datfile Download Centre" could do with renaming to something like "Old Datfile Archive" or similar so once stuff has been in "New Datfiles" for a while it can then be archived off. All new dats should be posted to "New Datfiles".

I've also noticed that occasionally fills are getting posted within the dat announcement thread. I can see why this happens when it's not a fill in response to a request but a general fill for everybody.

At the moment when I look at the forum and the threads within I just see one unholy random mass of posts. I can see why everyone new to the site would be confused... it is difficult to see where you should be looking to find what you need.

@JacKc and niallquinn, you might have noticed that you've both been made Global Mods ;-)

Let's all discuss a new forum structure and once that's done we can move threads around and get some order around here. It'll take more than just me to get stuff all in the right place.

Offline Terra_Cresta

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011 - 10:54:50 »
I'd also like to see more "newbies" posting, or people asking questions, then we can help them answering their queries, and not posting them to FAQs like so many other sites do.  Call it the personal touch. :)
I agree completely  :D

Offline niallquinn

• FTM.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011 - 11:42:25 »
"@JacKc and niallquinn, you might have noticed that you've both been made Global Mods ;-)"

I had noticed, thanks!  Not really too sure what's expected of me, but I'll give it a go. 

:)

NQ.

Offline JacKc

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011 - 18:24:51 »
Yeah i had noticed and was very surprised, thanks !

And yes i think we all need to discuss about the forum to make it more simple for newbies and everybody...

Offline RCade

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011 - 20:48:10 »
Two very good choices TC,

Congrates to JacKc and NQ.

I'd third or fourth or whatever its up to now in favour of reorganising the forums.
The site has become one of THE first ports of call for me now, even though I'd
said to myself I'd slow this hobby down a bit now I'm entering twilight years.

I guess you lot keep me young and fresh :-)

RCade