Author Topic: Unique Trurip CUE Layout?  (Read 927 times)

Offline GrayJaeger

Unique Trurip CUE Layout?
« on: September 20, 2017 - 18:36:15 »
I recently downloaded a few Trurip Sega CD BIN/CUE files for my Kega Fusion emulator and noticed while digging into the CUE files that they are quite different than any other Sega CD CUE files I've seen.  Each of the CUE files have a long set of data after the track lists that were longer than the track lists themselves. I thought it looked weird and figured all the data was useless garbage, so I just created my own CUE files for the BIN files. What is all this data? What does it all do? I'm curious as to if I should go back and download them again.

Also on a side question: Does Trurip create the BIN file and CUE file at the same time with one application or do they create the BIN first using one application and then make the CUE second with an application that looks through the data of the BIN? In general are CUE files made using one of these methods or both ways?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017 - 18:41:34 by GrayJaeger »

Offline D34con

Re: Unique Trurip CUE Layout?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017 - 19:36:44 »
as far as i know, they use real hardware to read from disc. How they transmitting these data is unknown to me. Maybe these entries you are talking about is man-made, show me, what you mean.
There are only a few crippled cue's, other cue's like "good" to me.
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline Maddog

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017 - 20:37:17 »
Code:
Only registered users can see contents. Please click here to Register or Login.
This is a typical Trurip .cue file (this one came from Cobra Command (EU).
All the REM lines can be safely ignored and the .cue functionality is the same without them in terms of loading/mounting the disc image. They are REMark lines (anyone familiar with BASIC will be able to recognize the reference).

What it appears to be listing in REMs is the entire disc and individual track checksums, done using all the different possible ways to handle the gaps. Gap append method: next seems to be producing track hashes identical to the Redump way of handling things. Didn't bother to check other games, but this one surely matches.
I think Gap Append Method refers to adding gap data to previous track, adding gap data to next track or not adding gap data at all, although this is pseudo-wise speculation on my side and not based on 100% solid information.

Rips are done on a PC using the Trurip application and specific high quality CD drives (mostly Plextors as expected). It reads the entire disc as a continuous data stream. Obviously the contents of the .cue are calculated afterwards, isn't too hard to do I think. Ripper006 could probably provide additional information on how the .cue is created if he wishes.

Offline emuDrache

• Control is an Illusion
    • database.trurip.org
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017 - 13:46:37 »
late reply. sorry.

[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
Also on a side question: Does Trurip create the BIN file and CUE file at the same time with one application or do they create the BIN first using one application and then make the CUE second with an application that looks through the data of the BIN? In general are CUE files made using one of these methods or both ways?

trurip app makes a logfile which gets uploaded to a database. 
cue are generated from the database copy of the logfile.

as for the answers on the "useless" data.. also, here is part of a convo i had with ripper back in 2014..

Quote from: Ripper006
with hashes you can also compare with other dumps / versions and spot the difference, if in data track is different or cd-da tracks are all the same etc.

to clarify, different dump groups use different methods. 
like maddog said, "Gap append method: next" matches redump style. ( i assume he is right.. i don't know nor care which groups use which style )
also, again, like maddog said, the REM lines are ignored.

this lets us see if the image we have used the same source image as a different group or if it is a different version of a disc.

think of it as normalizing a dataset so you can see differences, if any, other than the layout of the data. 

The goal of database.trurip.org is to catalogue the software of as many classic systems as possible.
database.trurip.org does not and will never host ISO or ROM downloads!