Author Topic: ExoDOS Vs Total DOS Collection  (Read 2525 times)

Offline thared33

ExoDOS Vs Total DOS Collection
« on: September 25, 2017 - 08:12:45 »
There are two DOS collections floating around, one called ExoDOS and another Total DOS. The ExoDOS collection is much bigger for some reason. Why is that?

I'm having trouble deciding between which ones to get. If someone could explain the differences, that'd be excellent. If it helps any, I want to have the option of running these on an actual oldschool DOS machine at some point.

Offline NLS

Re: ExoDOS Vs Total DOS Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017 - 09:42:45 »
eXoDOS is a way to run the games directly on your machine. They "install" the first time you run them and work using the included DOS emulator.
TDC is more of a "pure" collection with complete metadata about each game.

AFAIK those guys have attempted cooperation at some point, but it didn't go far (yet).
TDC IIRC updates about once a year.
Next eXoDOS will have many changes.

---
NLS

Offline thared33

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017 - 22:39:13 »
My biggest concern is the size of the collections. Exodos seems to be almost 300GB larger! I have no idea why that is. If Exodos has an emulator included, are the games in a certain proprietary format or anything? Because as mentioned I'd like to be able to run them on an actual DOS machine eventually. If I can save myself 300GB or so of data, I'll go with Total DOS, but let's see what I'll be missing first...

Offline yeahimdukenukem

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017 - 22:51:51 »
TDC and ExoDos do not contain the same stuff. Some of it certainly is the same, but not everything.
The TDC guy(s) described it that way: TDC starts at the very beginning of the DOS era and is being maintained until it is complete (!). ExoDos just contains more of the bigger games from the end of the DOS era. That's why it is bigger for now, but maybe will not stay as all stuff from ExoDos could be integrated into TDC in the future.
So it's up to you, what you do like more. For me I like the whole DOS era as I started with DOS on a 286 and sticked with the OS until the late 90s, so I just collect both ;)

Offline idlord

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017 - 23:10:57 »
eXoDOS is much bigger due to including full CD images for some of the games in addition to including pre-installed files packed with a copy of DOSBox for each game. eXoDOS also includes only one copy of each game, usually the latest and greatest, and primary deals with English games, there are exceptions when there is a title that doesn't necessary need English to be able to play.

Total DOS Collection in the other hand includes multiple copies (different versions, shareware, etc.) of each game as it's primary purpose is for archiving instead of playing. TDC only includes straight rips with most of them already cracked. If you intend to run them on an actual DOS PC it would be best to mix and match, use TDC for the early years (1981-1994) then eXoDOS for the later years (1994-1999). It's really a matter of preference on what set you would like to collect for.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017 - 23:13:36 by idlord »

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018 - 07:50:05 »
I'm looking into TDC and now i realized that there is "IBM PC compatible" in TOSEC and Redump.
Are this DOS games?
If yes then what reason is there to use TDC?

I can't find a place where is explained what a1, o1, f1, h1 or installer means...
Some files have a language tag and some not...
Then for example "Maniac Mansion Enhanced Edition" has the same year as the other versions?
No EGA or VGA tags :(

Would be nice it would be more like:
Maniac Mansion (EGA)(En)(1988)(Disk)
Maniac Mansion (Enhanced Edition)(En)(VGA)(1989)(CD-ROM)

Offline NLS

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018 - 08:13:25 »
Well TOSEC and reDump are independent to TDC (and each other).
It's up to you which one to use (or all).

TDC is probably more "dedicated", as it is organized per year and tries to be "complete". It is 102GB. But bear in mind TDC is zips of the files of the CONTENTS of disks. (so you need to use a method to directly use those files not "mount disks"). Contents of FLOPPY disks, I can't see CD-ROMs there. Also note that this is ONLY DOS and ONLY games.

reDump (which I don't have for PC), collects CD-ROMs.

TOSEC, has IBM sections both in its main collection (non-CD-ROMs) and its ISO collection (CD/DVD-ROMs). The first, consists of 10,5GB of floppies (so you need to mount those disks). Not just games. The second contains ISO of IBM-compatible software, again not just games, although games take the most part (182 of the 236GB).

So you can see they are quite different (and different to eXoDOS too as we said above - although I still hope some time in the future eXoDOS and TDC will merge).

As for naming the files, not the place to discuss this. For TOSEC (which is the stricter in naming and actually a major part of the project), join their forum.

---
NLS

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018 - 09:41:09 »
Does that mean TOSEC and Redump IBM is also Windows?

No CD-ROMs in TDC? So something like "Zak McKracken Enhanced Version CD-ROM" will not be there?
I thought its a TOTAL DOS Collection...

Is there no documentation what the tags mean in TDC?

Offline Picollo30

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018 - 12:02:56 »
i think Total Dos is a more in depth collection including spanish, french, japanese, chinese, etc DOS games right? Also it doesn't includ cd-rom versions of the mentioned DOS games, although there are ideas of developing such a collection but i may be wrong though
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018 - 12:05:23 by Picollo30 »

Offline NLS

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018 - 13:13:10 »
Yes TOSEC/reDump POTENTIALLY can also be Windows software. Anything that runs on the platform.

---
NLS

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018 - 13:30:24 »
Whats the best program to view just the dats (TOSEC/Redump - whats in the collection) without scanning?

I know TDC needs DOSCenter...

Offline NLS

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018 - 14:15:26 »
ROMVault possibly.

---
NLS

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018 - 21:34:34 »
Thanks NSL. ROMVault is allot easier to use then clrmamepro and you can browse and see what game it is.

So i see now that in TOSEC you don't see if a IBM game is Windows or DOS :(

What file/folder structure is everybody using?
I have:
Z:\ROMs\Atari 5200\No-Intro\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\Atari 5200\TOSEC\Demos\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\Atari 5200\TOSEC\Applications\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\Acorn Archimedes\TOSEC\Games\[ADF]\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\Acorn Archimedes\TOSEC\Games\[JFD]\xyz.zip

That means i can just point the emulator/frontend to "Z:\ROMs\Atari 5200\"
But then you have to set every dat to this directories in the ROMVault.

If you extract TOSEC like it is:
Z:\ROMs\TOSEC\Atari 5200 - Applications (TOSEC-v2013-12-13_CM)\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\TOSEC\Atari 5200 - Demos (TOSEC-v2013-12-13_CM)\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\TOSEC\Acorn Archimedes - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2011-02-22_CM)\xyz.zip
Z:\ROMs\TOSEC\Acorn Archimedes - Games - [JFD] (TOSEC-v2017-07-05_CM)\xyz.zip

Then you have to tell the emulator/frontend every single Atari 5200 directory.

Offline yeahimdukenukem

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018 - 22:35:04 »
Just a few things to clarify:
- TDC is not only floppies. It's just that the maintainer started from the beginning in the early DOS years where there were no CD-ROMs yet, but as far as I know they are not excluded once the author reaches newer years.
- There really were (are still?) plans to merge TDC and eXoDOS told me by TDCs author. I don't know how to do as the attempts seem to be different.
- Clrmamepro CAN browse the DATs and it works really great. In the scanner results window, there is a button in the bottom left corner.
- Collecting either TOSEC, TDC, eXoDOS or other stuff highly depends on what you want to do with the stuff. For example if you are fully into gaming and want to have emulated everything out of the box, just use eXoDOS. If you have a physical DOS machine, then you better choose TDC...

BR,
Duke

Offline MrGlasspoole

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018 - 02:23:00 »
Right there are CDs:
Wrath of the Demon v1.02 CD (1992)(ReadySoft Incorporated) [Action].zip
Jones in the Fast Lane- CD-ROM [b1][a1] (1992)(Sierra On-Line, Inc.) [Simulation, Strategy].zip
Adventures of Willy Beamish, The (Enhanced CD-ROM) (Installer) (1992)(Sierra On-Line, Inc.) [Adventure].zip

But the naming is not consistent:
CD
CD-ROM [b1][a1]
(Enhanced CD-ROM) (Installer)

[b1][a1]?
(Installer)?