Author Topic: How do I create a fix pack?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline hikaricore

How do I create a fix pack?
« on: December 21, 2017 - 01:44:41 »
Despite having used clrmame for the better part of the last decade, I can honestly say I have no idea how to make a fix for someone without either grabbing the missing files manually or by writing a shell script to parse the XML data and do it for me. There's probably some super obvious way to take my current set, pair it with a fix.dat, and export the contents to a directory or archive. As of yet, this process eludes me. I searched the forums, but I don't even know where to start, as I don't know what the exact process is called.  XD

Don't get me wrong, I've contributed when and where I could, but it's always just been complete roms or individually compressed single files.  :/

Any assistance to my feeble aging mind is much appreciated.

Offline zzzz

Re: How do I create a fix pack?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017 - 03:34:10 »
I've never done it but I thought it was always:

1) Add the fixdat as you would add a dat to clrmamepro normally

2) Rebuild the fixdat from your own complete rom folder to a completely different folder.

3) Upload the "rebuild to" folder as the fix.

Offline hikaricore

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017 - 04:05:08 »
Yea that seems to work. I figured there might be a simpler way but it does the trick.  ^_^

Offline D34con

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017 - 08:01:44 »
Thats it, in short.
load someone's fixdat.
add it in profiler, go to rebuilder and rebuild from your source. Fixdats usually *NEVER* remove any of your files. But take yourself attention if the checkbox is unusable and unchecked (remove rebuild files)
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017 - 05:39:57 »
much easier to use romvault. just put the fixdats (can be many) into its own folder in the datroot. open romvault, update dats, scan, fix. the romroot will now have replicated roms from your collection to the fixdat folder without deleting anything from your original romvaults romroot. romvault can operate on 1000's of dats and millions of roms with a single scan.

Offline NLS

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017 - 09:07:04 »
Way easier to use ROMVault both to create fixdats and make fixes from them.

---
NLS

Offline D34con

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017 - 13:22:54 »
cant agree... but every people have their preferrings...
I myself use cmp to rebuild and scan, not to organize, after scanning / rebuilding i put the files into one small solid archive, doing this with every set.
just not to be bad, i just proclaim to not to use search anymore for others than myself. Its easy. If you got almost fullsets, your missings are often posted together in one.

Offline NLS

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017 - 13:54:53 »
I take it you used ROMVault thoroughly before getting to this conclusion right?

(because CMP was my ROM manager of preference for years - then I wanted a simpler life, not having to remember 20 steps of everything)

---
NLS

Offline D34con

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017 - 15:11:56 »
The reason why i am not using RV is that there is no text behind every knob. I couldnt get my own path to work, i dont know what "level 1" means, cmp doesnt need 20 steps, i always have 2 steps: 1. drop a dat, 2. go to scanner (or to rebuilder, if its a fixdat). There are no more steps needed... but you can define your own paths... this is the most important thing to me, because i dont own a sinlge  25 TB Harddisk to scratch on it...

Offline NLS

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017 - 18:34:49 »
You can define your own paths in RV too.

You talk about how you need to read maybe 30 seconds of instructions to learn to use RV, when you know it very very well that you need a tome to learn CMP and reach the point where you need 2 (2? no - but anyway) steps.
The difference is that you already know how to use CMP and not RV. Fair enough.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017 - 18:36:51 by NLS »
---
NLS

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017 - 06:10:24 »
I only use CMP now for updating mame, dat created from the executable. the mess software list I do with RV. having romvault within my mame folder I simply copy updated hash xmls to the datroot, then move (not copy) the mess roms to the romroot. download updated mess sl roms and stick in ToSort folder. run RV (update dats, scan and fix). then move the mess roms back out to where mame recognizes them. other than downloading the updated roms this takes very little time (much less than it sounds like)

I also like using multiple RomVaults.  As stated above I have 1 in the mame folder (just for SL list). another for UDC deduplicated rom collection (great for storing away random roms that would otherwise just be deleted and with minimal space usage.) then another to Update roms for emulators I like to use other than mame. such as fruit machine, future pinball, scumm/grubbys, etc.

also I use level 2 scanning and level 2 torrentzip fixing (nice if you ever want to create a torrent from a romroot folder or  preload a torrent download). do a  level 3 scan if your computer happens to shut down, external drive cable gets yanked, power failure, etc., while doing a fix operation. this will find possible corrupted files, but is much slower (level 2 wont find these corrupted files)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017 - 00:59:52 by cannonwillow »

Offline cannonwillow

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017 - 08:58:22 »
ok the thing with CMP is that most of the steps are internal. RV has more external steps, but not really.  CMP.  step 1 - create rom path folder for the fixdat. step 2 - add datfile. step 3 - go to setting menu. step 4 - rom path selection. step 5 - go to rebuilder menu. step 6 - choose destination (probably 1st rom path). step 7 - choose source (easy if the dat that the fixdat is based on is known, this doesn't have to be the case always). step 8 - rebuild (scan will take awhile). with RV I can place a fixdat in the datroot of huge RV collection (like 4 million roms with different hash values + thousands of dats). start RV, update dats, scan, fix - all this under a couple minutes, dependent on size of the fix which is a constant for both (and thats with no ssd drive), dont even have to create a rom folder for the fixdat, it's automatically  created in the romroot.

that being said, CMP is a much more robust program, and there probably is a much better way than what I described above. RV is bare bones in comparison.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017 - 09:15:51 by cannonwillow »