Author Topic: Is ROM Sheperd in danger of being shut down?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Picollo30

Is ROM Sheperd in danger of being shut down?
« on: August 10, 2018 - 04:22:03 »
due to Nintendo's pressure against ROM sites?

How could it be avoided?

Can the subforums be hidden to avoid this? I mean, available to users only through post count (for example, 20 posts you are able to see the fullsets subforums otherwise they remain hidden).

Maybe change the name of the site to avoid bad attention towards us?

Just throwing out some ideas, i like this place and it would suck if it followed the direction of loveroms, emuparadise, completeroms,etc.

Offline Picollo30

Re: Is ROM Sheperd in danger of being shut down?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018 - 04:31:07 »
I remember that the late UG (Underground Gamer) tracker was under fire from a game company, i think it was EA, and was shut down due to some games that were made abandonware still being sold by the company.

Some fake users registered there (possibly EA employees or working for them) pretending to be normal members and started threatening the site admins which led to it's downfall.

Offline cyberjew

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018 - 04:55:00 »
Forgive me...what happened??? I don’t frequent the site as often as I should. Was there a recent crackdown?

Just saw this and immediately went to Emuparadise. They look like they’re still online....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cyberjew

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018 - 05:02:04 »
Disregard my last post. I’m reading up on this right now.

* cyberjew smh

Offline rocketblast

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018 - 06:14:54 »
cyberjew try to download something there?  there's alternative sites to that one.
-Xbox360 Scene Connoisseur-
-Extreme TX SX Pro User and Reviewer-

Offline cyberjew

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018 - 06:15:57 »
Yep. I now realize what happened. Sorry to ask without RTFM first.

Offline Zanak

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018 - 07:15:56 »
[You are not allowed to view links] Register or Login
I remember that the late UG (Underground Gamer) tracker was under fire from a game company, i think it was EA, and was shut down due to some games that were made abandonware still being sold by the company.

Some fake users registered there (possibly EA employees or working for them) pretending to be normal members and started threatening the site admins which led to it's downfall.

Jesus....no point trying to hide then.

Offline garyopa

• Admin @ MaxConsole
    • MaxConsole
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018 - 09:20:44 »
The big problem with these sites, is they were filled with 'ads' from sources like google adsense, and also charged monthly fees to their members for VIP access, no download limits, no wait time, less ads.

When you do that you become a 'piracy-for-profit' operation, and will be targetted, plus the owners 'lived' in the usa, does not matter where the site is hosted, but if they find out top admins, operators that are 'collecting' the money are living in usa then you are doomed.

I operate a number of 'scene sites', but don't have roms, and we still have legal issues, but since I don't collect money from usa based companies like google, and I don't store money in usa, and don't live in the usa, and don't host in usa, then I basically ok, not perfect, but ok and I honor takedown requests that do make it via 'postal mail' to my home address, ones by email I put in my spam folder, and the only companies that has gone that far is RockStar and Activision.

Nintendo only cares if you:

A) making money
B) promote direct ROMs downloads to emulators installed on android (loveroms was doing that
C) you can be served in EU or USA country and make an example of.

In 90% of cases Nintendo ends of settling out of court for small fee to cover their time/lawyers like between 20k to 50k, but not until first they make an example of you and post news they got legal ruling from judge for millions, then they quickly settle it up out of court, with 'news blackout' on the agreement, so media only reports on large judgement and other sites/people get scared off.
-=(Gary from O.P.A.)=-

Offline rarenight

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018 - 19:53:36 »
No because Rom Shepherd doesn't host any downloads directly like Emuparadise, so the site itself can't be easily shut down for infringement. However, all download links are at risk of being taken down, so grab everything while you still can.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018 - 20:18:48 by rarenight »

Offline Nukhem

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018 - 21:49:50 »
iirc underground gamer was shut down due to Fifa98 being available for download ::)

Offline StanA4957ZED

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018 - 01:02:54 »
I wish it wasn't so but I haven't found anything new on that site for a long time now.

I try not to say it is ego but since I have been losing interest in emulation it seems like everyone else has as well.
TOSEC is hard to update because of distribution and dare I say, ATTITUDE problems.

So now, being as there is no money in it, UseNet, Torrents and private trackers seems to be all there is.

Look, once you have it then updates are all you need.
Considering the cost of running a site it doesn't make it a worthy venture.

Offline LordLakitu

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018 - 02:11:13 »
I wish it wasn't so but I haven't found anything new on that site for a long time now.

I try not to say it is ego but since I have been losing interest in emulation it seems like everyone else has as well.
TOSEC is hard to update because of distribution and dare I say, ATTITUDE problems.

So now, being as there is no money in it, UseNet, Torrents and private trackers seems to be all there is.

Look, once you have it then updates are all you need.
Considering the cost of running a site it doesn't make it a worthy venture.

Unless you going to host a massive ROM/Archive-site then sure.

Myself, I'm spending 60 eur a year, it's not that much, as long as you have decent content then I would say that's potential for revenue.

Offline supermemeticedgelord2000

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018 - 01:41:23 »
oh FFS just move hosting to Uganda or some other turd world poop hole
problem solved
how do ISO sites  do it?

Offline osirus47

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018 - 03:44:41 »
iirc underground gamer was shut down due to Fifa98 being available for download ::)

Over some old ass game like that? Damn. I miss UG.

Offline LordLakitu

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018 - 01:44:47 »
RS is safe, can't you see the Jesus figure @ top.

(no sarcasm)